• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

outdoors a fishing thread

Rymerpt said:
atkinbeer-1_zpsncqvervi.jpg

7c6b1289cf44c7dd4cf5d5fc5878b089-1_zpscldrc0zi.jpg

10344810_854988511181225_2157474037383330638_n_zps6176e51e.jpg
are those mayflies?

I remember one time I saw mayflies in person, I had to drive through a parking lot about as covered with them as could be.

they were everywhere... cant remember offhand other times when I've seen so many decent sized bugs in one place.

muskymojo said:
I let all muskies go, but I do keep nice eating sized pike. They are great if you know how to remove the y-bones.
the meat is great, but that river I fish your allowed to eat one fish per year due to pollution...i'll pass.  the y bones suck but on a really nice fish you can get two really nice boneless "fillets" or back straps as we call them here off the back of the fish with no worries. 

FreeportBum said:
 the y bones suck but on a really nice fish you can get two really nice boneless "fillets" or back straps as we call them here off the back of the fish with no worries.
Actually, you can get almost all the meat boneless off any size pike.

This isn't my video, but I do it basically the same way...

All this talk about fish is making me hungry! Here is a pike I just pulled from the freezer. 100% boneless. :)

I seem to catch the weirdest things on sabiki's... I've caught a ballyhoo, a baby blue runner (notable because it was a baby-the larger ones are more common perhaps,) sardines (not that unusual,) and the jewel of the group: a goggleye. 

Try a curly tail 1/4-3/8 oz. jig in white/pearl on the end of the sabiki instead of a weight.  It mimics a school being chased and fires up the whole food chain.  I had guys lining up and offering 10 bucks for that rig.  I discovered it by accident.  I was using snap clips and was just too lazy to go get another sinker cause my box was at the other end of the pier.

Rairdog said:
Try a curly tail 1/4-3/8 oz. jig in white/pearl on the end of the sabiki instead of a weight.  It mimics a school being chased and fires up the whole food chain.  I had guys lining up and offering 10 bucks for that rig.  I discovered it by accident.  I was using snap clips and was just too lazy to go get another sinker cause my box was at the other end of the pier.

I'l have to give that a shot sometime... interesting concept. Lately I think the main problem with sabiki's is that the schools are being spooked by all the snook present. but things that improve the number of fish I catch could be worth a go.

SavinaRed said:
Here is a 51lb King Salmon I caught in a 17ft whaler outside the Golden Gate Bridge on the Marin Coastline.

HOLY MACKEREL!!! That is WELL beyond a trophy in our local waters. That is a Behemoth.

I went on a trip to Alaska once and got to fish on a boat for a few hours (I don't think this was fresh water although I could be wrong.) We caught two salmon, but I had to give them away to some random people who were staying at the same place we were staying because I had no way to really cook them at the time. :(.

hogleg said:
HOLY MACKEREL!!! That is WELL beyond a trophy in our local waters. That is a Behemoth.
we caught 4 fish that day over 40lbs and my other fish I caught that day was 44lbs. It was like I was fishing in Alaska lol. I was fishing duxberry reef trolling cut plug herring.

Some shore lunch pics from last week...

Walleye, homemade tartar sauce, fried potatoes, beans, and some diced Vidalia onion.

I always try to let the big females go, but sometimes they just don't swim away. We ended up keeping these three for that reason. They certainly won't go to waste though. Two 27 inchers, and a 28 1/2.

Back