• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

About to go Naga for the first time...

Hi folks,

After several months attempting to grow nagas under sub-par (Dutch) conditions I finally have a handful of decent-sized ripe chillis.

I'm an Indian food lover, so tonight I'm going to do my normal chicken curry, but throw a naga (just one I suppose is sensible to start with) into the mix.

Wish me luck, and see you on the other side. I'll let you know how it goes.

FS

P.S. And Neil, awesome videos on Youtube, thank you.

Enjoy your meal, I agree that one pod should be enough at first! And:

66.png
...from Germany.

Enjoy your stay!

Hi folks,

Sorry a bit slow to reply - it didn't kill me!

I tried a small piece raw, which was pretty intense, and had to be the spiciest thing I've tried.

The actual dish worked out really well. I was surprised at how gentle the initial attack was, but then it built... and built... until I was relishing the full searing, sweating, euphoric, light-headed naga burn in all it's glory.

I'm gonna have to do it again, maybe this time adding something to beef-up the fore-taste, and maybe going for two pods instead of one.

Photos here: http://www.new.facebook.com/album.php?aid=75371&l=591b3&id=626200990

What's the verdict on eating these things raw and whole? I think I might try a pod...

FS

Fijian Scion said:
Hi folks,

I tried a small piece raw, which was pretty intense, and had to be the spiciest thing I've tried.

The actual dish worked out really well. I was surprised at how gentle the initial attack was, but then it built... and built... until I was relishing the full searing, sweating, euphoric, light-headed naga burn in all it's glory.

I'm gonna have to do it again, maybe this time adding something to beef-up the fore-taste, and maybe going for two pods instead of one.

Photos here: http://www.new.facebook.com/album.php?aid=75371&l=591b3&id=626200990

What's the verdict on eating these things raw and whole? I think I might try a pod...

FS

You won't believe how much hotter they are raw and whole. I have a burger once a week, and I cut up 2 naga's for it. It's hot, yeah, but doesn't compare to just eating one straight. Mixing naga's with food really tames the throat assault.

Hey Neil, i just looked at your pics, omg those plant are taller than any i have seen, they have to be like 7 foot tall, amazing:)

Fijian Scion said:
Hi folks,

FS

Have milk and Yougurt handy when eat a pod or partial pod :lol:

Novacastrian said:
Hey Neil, i just looked at your pics, omg those plant are taller than any i have seen, they have to be like 7 foot tall, amazing:)

Yeah I know! What's with that? I thought they were meant to get to about 4 or 5 feet, but these things are monsters!

Those are the only two I kept indoors, right where you see them, next to the window. I've got another five plants outside on my terrace braving the Dutch weather. They've been frozen, baked, blown over, hailed on, and thoroughly investigated by the neighbour's cat. As a result they are short (maybe three feet) and stocky.

Unbelievably they actually did flower and are bearing fruit. However, the peppers are very small in comparison.

Do you think they'll be crap, or will they be all evil and spiteful for being so mistreated?

:-)

My current plan for them is to make a bottle of chilli oil. That way I get to make the most out of my rather meager harvest.

FS

Welcome from Fort Worth, Texas

If the plants have been stressed while the pods were growing and ripening, they will reach their full heat potential.

AlabamaJack said:
Welcome from Fort Worth, Texas

If the plants have been stressed while the pods were growing and ripening, they will reach their full heat potential.

Really? Hmmm. I reckon these things have been about as stressed as they could be whilst still bearing fruit, so they are probably lethal. Excellent!

I was just reading some about stressing the plants and it is "water stressing" that increases the heat...the article also said that cooler temperatures decrease the heat of the pods...

Back