• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

All This Talk About Superhots Getting Big

Chris...how long have you been growing/collecting varieties? I am truly amazed at the diversity of your superhots...

if it has been five weeks with full pods, it should be any day now till you see some color change...

not odd, I just picked my first ripe devils tongue today

Thanks AJ. I've been growing hot peppers for about five years. I've got many pepper trading friends to thank for all the incredible varieties. You could say an hobby gone obsessive. ;)

Chris

AlabamaJack said:
Chris...how long have you been growing/collecting varieties? I am truly amazed at the diversity of your superhots...

Still trudging along with more super hots. :) I really like the Bih Jolokias. These are larger than normal (wider). Frontal Agritech mentioned a while back we got "lucky" to get these.

Chris

P1070097.jpg

P1070099.jpg

It's strange that this one doesn't look like it has an enormous amount of placental tissue (compared to 7-pot and Scorpions), but the smell is so strong it knocks you back. It's insane.

Chris

P1070103.jpg

Just like some of the squash type habs going around..very crinkled pods and lots of interior placenta...very nice and lovely 7pot type chris

Hey Chris again real nice Bih Jolokia pepper this time. The strong intoxicating smell of your Bih is the same smell I had with my Bhuts. None of my nagas have that same aroma. My bhuts are also a real light dreen color on the plant. That smell makes me believe that the Bih/Bhuts are purer genetics that the nagas. Great pictures and documentation of all your different strains and varieties.

Nagas is a derivative name and there are so many others..but they seem to break into 2 slightly differnt family..the Bih/Bhutt and of course The Dorset and naga morich..after seen and tasted both close up and seeing the pod sizes at locations in devon and dorset and after the study by Harald Zoschke the conclusion is that the bih/bhutt are the same pepper and the Dorset/naga morich which is smaller than the bhut/bih and in my view slightly hotter but thats a personal thing..if you would like to read the full text look below..It should be noted that a number of people have seen massive yield increases in there second season and in some cases larger pod sizes :)

http://www.fiery-foods.com/dave/jolokia_compared.asp

AlabamaJack said:
definitely dimpled Chris...here are some shots of:

Dorset Naga (notice the wilted leaves...stressing is a way of life for these pods)

081208dDorsetNaga.jpg

7 Pod (what is proper?...7 pot or 7 pod?)

081208d7Pod.jpg

Chocolate Habanero

081208dChocolateHab.jpg

and my first Trinidad Scorpion with a true tail...

081208dTrinidadScorpion.jpg

Nice to see a tail on your scorpion..you have a good strain there it seems A.J.

I agree that the actual type of varieties is much more limited as stated. Bhuts and Bihs seem the same mostly. I do think Nagas are a bit different than Dorset Nagas.

I think 7-pot is a general name for many different pebbled pods, but obviously they all have significant heat. Scorpion, the true strain, is unique.

The Douglah is very unusual. I don't know what to make of it, but I sure like it. I'm sure there are many more variants of these varieties out there in places such as India, Trinidad, etc.

I had a different Bhut a friend obtained from India. Unfortunately, my plants died during the hardening off process. I thought they were perhaps the hottest of all after a side-by-side taste test last Fall when I was sent fresh pods. The pods have more of a hab-look. They sure didn't have a hab taste though!

Chris

talas said:
Nagas is a derivative name and there are so many others..but they seem to break into 2 slightly differnt family..the Bih/Bhutt and of course The Dorset and naga morich..after seen and tasted both close up and seeing the pod sizes at locations in devon and dorset and after the study by Harald Zoschke the conclusion is that the bih/bhutt are the same pepper and the Dorset/naga morich which is smaller than the bhut/bih and in my view slightly hotter but thats a personal thing..if you would like to read the full text look below..It should be noted that a number of people have seen massive yield increases in there second season and in some cases larger pod sizes :)

http://www.fiery-foods.com/dave/jolokia_compared.asp

Heres a theory chris about Trinidad in particular don't if you no but theres is a large Indian community on t&t...Indo-Caribbeans are the largest ethnic group in Trinidad and they come from north western and North-eastern India and small amount from Bangladesh.
As in the uk and Trinidad the Indian community has bought with its culture,religions and of course its own cuisine,Some months ago i was in a restaurant not to far from i live which specializes in Bangladesh style cuisine..i got chatting to one of the waiters and was asking him what spice/chili they where using in there curry..which was being advertised as a Tindaloo or magloo curry very hot,he told me didn't no but would ask..half way into the meal an elderly gentleman came out and asked why i wanted to no about the curry..told him i was interested in chilis then he started talking about nagas and bangladeshspice`s,immediately i asked about what he new about nagas and told me he used to eat them in bangladesh back in the 40/50`s then he and his family moved here in 61 and one of his family a cousin had bought a naga over in the late 60/70`s but the plants didn't grow very well and died and it wasnt till recently about 4 years ago that he new of a bangladesh community member selling Nagas and then the news about the dorset naga in 2006 and that was the last he heard.
One interesting thing he said and ive confirmed this with friends in dorset that there where 2 naga types bhutt/bih and morich/dorset but there was smaller type from the far north east of india weather it was nagaland im not sure but he seems to think it was bought from north burma and called mountain king and He confirmed it with his grandfather who said the Bangladeshi and Indians traded over the border before the terrible regime now there, so did the relative of bhutt come from Burma or India or Bangladesh?His granddad said..that it was meal spice and was renowned for only having to use a tiny amount in even a large meal..7pot? maybe.
You can see where im going an indian or burmese or bangladesh my have bought them back to trinidad anytime between 1845 to the present and explains all these hot chilis from such a small island..just an idea and im sure trinni could fill in some blanks :)

Thanks Wally. :) Here's a picture of a ripe standard Bih from Frontal Agritech seed stock. It looks a bit more like a Bhut Jolokia, but obviously they are all very close. :)

Chris

P1070106.jpg

That is a damn fine example of a Bih/Bhutt chris..it actually shows the pitted surface we adore so much on a good strain of 7pot and Douglah makes you wonder :)

Coool pics.

Hmm, I got my Bih/Dorset seeds from THSC, who I think got them from Frontal. I wonder which ones I got?

Is there any difference in the plants?

Dern waiting for %$#!@ pods... :D

-QS

Back