beer ASK WHEEBZ

Wheebz, do you know about bottling cider?

I plan on bottling my cider in a couple weeks, and I want to carb it. Obviously I dont want bottle bombs either. I think I'm gonna prime with brown sugar. I've read you can let it carb for a couple days or untill you reach desired carbonation level, and then pasteruize the bottles on the stove in 170F water for some minutes to end fermentation. Any thoughts?

I see... I kept reading stuff where people were getting bottle bombs when carbing cider so people would kill the yeast with um potassium sorbate or whatever that be, or using heat to pasteurize. I guess as long as its done fermenting completely it won't be an issue.

depends on what you use to ferment your cider with

if you ferment your cider with beer yeast, but pitch a champagne yeast strain for bottle conditioning, you are gonna have a bad time

yeppers

the reason people get exploding bottles mostly with ciders is that they are carbonated at higher levels than beer usually

me personally, i like cider carbonated to near champagne levels, but you have to do that yourself

It kills me but the dang Doc has put me on some meds that I'll be taking for a long time and on which it's not very good if I drink. So,

what would be the best way to take the recipes that I have and love and turn them into NA brews and not loose any of the flavor and character that make them taste so damn good?

Oh, and I think I know how to handle adding some Fire to the Flaming Pumpkin next year. I made a suggestion to Andy, Pulpiteer, in his Glog where he was making Maple Syrup from his own trees and he did this: http://thehotpepper.com/topic/37639-pulpiteer-2013-grow-log/page__st__60#entry798355

Use Fataliis instead and I bet it would be just the trick, what do you think?

I do love me some fatalii's so yea I am all about that

and as far as brewing an NA beer and retaining the same flavors, well the fact is that you cant

I have never brewed an NA beer, nor do I really know much about how they do it

I would assume they probably use a lot of Dextrin malt (carapils), and almost no base malt, or substitute dextrin for the base malt

even the N/A beers are still right around .5-.7% ABV

that sucks dude, you are kind of screwed with that one

what thats basically doing is distilling your beer, only instead of collecting your alcohol, you allow it to evaporate and retain the beer.

Scientifically, yes, it should work, as far as the taste, you would have to try it out

ethanol, or ethyl alcohol, evaporates at 172 degrees, so yes, maintained at 180 for whatever the amount of time depending on the concentration of ethanol in solution, you would be able to make it alcohol free, or close to it

let me put it this way

i used to do VDK testing on beers, which raised the temp up to 140 degrees, maintained it for 2 hours, and then cooled it and did QC on it, to see what 6 months of shelf life would do to the beer and if any residual diketones were left over from fermentation

the beer tasted like absolute asshole, but if there were any off flavors, you could easily detect them

now bump that up to 180, and think about how it would taste

yes, the large breweries do use flash pasteurization where they take a bottle of beer up to 150 for 15 minutes (depending on the brewery SOPs) and then cool it down again before shipping, but even then, the shelf life on beers like that is 90 days

I may have to do some testing with this and see what happens.

I'm wondering if the time at temperature could have anything to do with the effect. Lower temp for longer time versus higher temp for less time. Also wondering if the effects could be reversed by adding hops when there's 15 minutes left in the heating to replace the flavor and aroma hops or dry hopping after the process to add the aroma back in.

Still though beer that tastes like ass is, well it's assbeer :(

diff temps dont matter

you have to at least hit 172-173, anything after that is pointless

ide check up on some distilling to see what the length is for evaporation. I just dont know enough about it to give you a good answer

Can be made both ways and enjoyed alone or mixed. Fermented I've see it at about 4 to 5 % ABV.
My favorite way to enjoy is called a Moscow Mule:

Over ice (traditionally served in an uncoated Copper Mug which are next to impossible to find now)
Heavy shot Vodka
1 tsp Cherry juice
Squeeze of lime
top with Ginger Beer

Best thing in the world on a hot Florida summer day. You can also make it with light Rum.

Wheebz, what you think about BIAB? Can it be just as effective as doing regular all-grain method?

Even if its not preferred, I'm thinking it would be an upgrade from my extract brewing.

I have been looking into it and really all I need is a grain bag. So I was going to give my first AG a shot this weekend.

ive got a couple of friends that do the biab method, works well for them, they get good efficiency

i wouldnt do it, but thats just me

Interesting. Well untill I get myself an MLT, and what not I'm thinkin of giving the BIAB a shot so I can have a crack at AG. This Sunday I'ma have at it.

All my extract beer taste the same IMO. Even though I had some ones I really thought were good. They still all tasted similar.

I'm also convinced its impossible to get that grainy, bready, malt aroma and flavor from extract.

Ok one more question. My equipment is a 10gallon kettle, burner and chiller... Would all I need for a regular AG set up just a 10 gallon cooler converted to MLT?

I'm guessing I'd have to do batch sparging. Also I'm guessing heating up sparge water will be an issue if I only have one kettle. Hmmmmmmmm :think:

Back