• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Beehunters Grow log - Now with Awkward video update.

Hey all. As you can see im new here and new to gardening in general. Ive been lurking around the site for a while now preparing for this grow. Ive got some African birds eye that just sprouted and soaking some other seeds now to go in the incubator tonight. Ill post pics of the sprouts later. Figured this is a good way to get to know people and great place to get advice.
Happy growing!

The Beehunter

P1100199-1.jpg

Britt, plants look great. Funny you say only one pod on the bhuts. My first bhut plant did the same thing. Only produced one pod. It took another 3 months before it starting producing multiple pods. Now it pumps out pods like it's nobody's business :rofl: Fickle plants for some of us.

Now I'm sittin here scratchin my brain....I don't have a single Orange Hab plant right now?How did that happen? Thats the "pod that started all this!"

The smaller plants that get pod /s developing early comparitively speaking, will throw a few early ones , but have no new flowers forming...then you have the next phase....waiting for the damn things to start poppin, and you wait....
and....My first 2 purples last year were purchased at about 18" in 6" pots...each had 3-5 pods on em already, so I figured that heck "got it made".NOT!
Those few ripened...AND THEN 3 MONTHS OF NOTHING BUT FOLIAR GROWTH...and then they woke up in July and August, and it was gang busters. My first Yellow 7 ...same scenario!

Possibly the early initial pods are "the lifeboats" so to speak....to ensure early seed production before anything can happen to the plant, once this is done...the plant will concentrate on growing and when it has enough foliage , the real pod production begins. Thats just supposition on part though...

Good to see the pods are coming out for you! Talk about "make do grow set ups......
last year I was driving around with seed starts in a clear plastic "store baked chicken" container while I was doing some office stuff in Houston, Tx. I'd bring em in the hotel room at night to put em under a desk top CFL ....I KNOW they were thinkin' it might be some sort of illegal crop!

Great info gunner - I have kind of thought the same thing. Almost
like the plants are saying "Is it safe to flower?" When they find out
it is, then they really get to the serious business!

Carrying your seedlings in portable greenhouses! That's true love!

Looking good Britt! I have a ways to go before I catch up to you in pods but I can wait... if I have to... I guess. :rolleyes:
Cheers!

Hey thanks. I hope the pod production keeps up and actually increases. Probably not though. probably will end up waiting and waiting and... stupid waiting...

Gives me an idea of what's ahead, we rrr the Balcony boys!

Ha! Yea man! you dont need no freakin garden to grow peppers! (although i would love one)

Looking good Brit :)

*raises hand* Thats how all my seeds were started this winter... I have a big glass window in my garage with a work bench beneath it... Bearing in mind that our "winter" was milder than the "spring" weather is for many of the others on this forum currently. I think it froze like 3 times...

I had a 4' fluorescent tube light over top of my plants as well... But it just happened to be in the right spot.

The Jiffy greenhouses are ~5$ for a 72 cell tray. Well worth the investment. They have smaller sizes as well.

yea thanks for putting your winter in quotes! Hear you will need lights if you want to get a true winter start. one because the days are fairly short and two because of Zurichs location we are covered in clouds almost everyday between Nov and Feb. it can be really depressing...

Ty Beehunter and Jsschrstrcks. I have reading up to do. Btw Beehunter your plants look fabulous

Hey thanks. I dont know if they look fabulous but im trying to keep them as healthy as i can. Yea there is tons of reading to do on here! My wife thinks i am insane since i have gone from never reading about gardening to checking this website multiple times a day for new info.

nice... podss... hope they hang on... i guess you can say mine arent all that hardened up.. or are they... some can only take 3 hrs of direct sunlight and then they drop while most are nice and strong.. i have a few 1gal that are in sun all day... wish i could get my plants to be tall and stalky.. right now my purple bhut is only like6-7 inches right now.. :( but continue to good work and update us when that bhut pod gets bigger and increases in #

dennniz

hey thanks for stopping by Denniz. Yea the hardening to sunlight thing was hard for me too! It was always sunny for like one or two days then overcast again and it seemed like forever till they got used to the sun. But now that i can leave them out all day it is much easier! Cheers and ill keep the updates coming :)

Ah, another grower who has to deal with the horrible spring we're having in Western Europe right now! Looking very good, can't wait to get my first pods, still pinching buds though!
Yea man this Spring is killing me! I keep thinking "okay now we are done with the cold" then a day later another cold snap! And i dont know the last time we went three days without it raining... Ah well its just one of the difficulties we have to deal with. Man the pinching buds stage has got to be the most annoying stage! so i didnt really do much of it :) Cheers man. Good luck with your season!

Britt, plants look great. Funny you say only one pod on the bhuts. My first bhut plant did the same thing. Only produced one pod. It took another 3 months before it starting producing multiple pods. Now it pumps out pods like it's nobody's business :rofl: Fickle plants for some of us.
Damn. Dont say things like that! three months till your next pods! Ah well these plants seem to want to teach me patients one way or another... I just wish they would hurry up and teach me already ;) they are some fickled plants! And its pretty interesting for me to see how different the plants react to things even if they are of the same species. Thanks for stoppin in and please send some of that southern sun my way!

Now I'm sittin here scratchin my brain....I don't have a single Orange Hab plant right now?How did that happen? Thats the "pod that started all this!"

The smaller plants that get pod /s developing early comparitively speaking, will throw a few early ones , but have no new flowers forming...then you have the next phase....waiting for the damn things to start poppin, and you wait....
and....My first 2 purples last year were purchased at about 18" in 6" pots...each had 3-5 pods on em already, so I figured that heck "got it made".NOT!
Those few ripened...AND THEN 3 MONTHS OF NOTHING BUT FOLIAR GROWTH...and then they woke up in July and August, and it was gang busters. My first Yellow 7 ...same scenario!

Possibly the early initial pods are "the lifeboats" so to speak....to ensure early seed production before anything can happen to the plant, once this is done...the plant will concentrate on growing and when it has enough foliage , the real pod production begins. Thats just supposition on part though...

Good to see the pods are coming out for you! Talk about "make do grow set ups......
last year I was driving around with seed starts in a clear plastic "store baked chicken" container while I was doing some office stuff in Houston, Tx. I'd bring em in the hotel room at night to put em under a desk top CFL ....I KNOW they were thinkin' it might be some sort of illegal crop!

Man im really glad i planted this orange hab! Its a work horse! My theory is its been grown commercially longer than the other C. chinenses so it produces more and earlier than the rarer varieties. Chit between you and romy i am startin to think im not gonna have more pods till the fall. That would just piss me off. :) Of course up until the plants started putting out early pods i dont think i would have any till fall anyway. And man thats a pretty funny picture. I know these super market chicken domes. and now that i think about it. I guess it would make a great green house for seedling! But carrying it around from hotel to hotel is too funny. Thats dedication!

Great info gunner - I have kind of thought the same thing. Almost
like the plants are saying "Is it safe to flower?" When they find out
it is, then they really get to the serious business!

Carrying your seedlings in portable greenhouses! That's true love!
That is true love! And i hope my plants feel its safe to flower and pod. As well taken care of as your plants are. im sure you will be full of pods in no time! thanks for stoppin by paul!

Looks great, Beehunter. Those Jala's look delicious already :dance: I'm still waiting for the first flowers too set on mine. Weather is turning around over here and temps are getting higher, finally!

"Hear you will need lights if you want to get a true winter start. one because the days are fairly short and two because of Zurichs location we are covered in clouds almost everyday between Nov and Feb."

Geez, Britt, I didn't know Zurich was in the Pacific NW :D

Ok not too much to update this week. Things are moving along and most of the chinenses are stacking on alot of veg growth. In particular it seems the scorps are exploding with new leaves. Many of there leaves are pretty damaged from a fert burn a while back but the new growth looks pretty good if only a little distorted. but thats only on the Scorps and 7pots. weird. Anyway the first 7pot flowers fell of but it has opened new flowers that seem like they might stick so heres hoping. My Nagas all have atleast 30 or 40 flowers on them but none of the flowers set pods. Not sure what thats about. maybe our night temps are just stll too low. All the non chinense are holding pods good. And the hab as well. well it must have 150 flowers on it and set a pod 1 out of every 7 or 8 flowers. Im running tight on space bigtime. Already given a few plants. But we will see what happens. Sometimes its not so cool to live in the city center....

Hungarian with new pods
IMG_0093.jpg

The mulato plant has so many pods i had to tie up its limbs.
IMG_0097.jpg

these 2 butch ts have been behind for a while now but seem to be catching up now.
IMG_0103.jpg

7 Pot flower.
IMG_0101.jpg

Partial shot of the balcony so you can see what kind of space problems im having!
IMG_0104.jpg

Anyways till next time thanks for stopping by

PLants are looking excellent Britt :party: You are gonna the love the yellow 7's once they start producing. Before you know it they will all start germinating. Oh and time to build a second level on that balcony ;)

Things are looking great Brit! I'm sure it's tough to have the limited space, but you've got a mini jungle on your balcony. The fun part will be seeing how you juggle them as they continue to grow :) - which they will because you are obviously taking good care of them.

PLants are looking excellent Britt :party: You are gonna the love the yellow 7's once they start producing. Before you know it they will all start germinating. Oh and time to build a second level on that balcony ;)

Yea thanks! I hear the yellow 7s might try and win the top spot in my most used chili pole. We will see how it goes. So far i am a big fan of the yellow chillies. Im hoping that after they finish working on the roof of my building we will have we will have access to the roof terrace then i can move them up there. but we will see.

Things are looking great Brit! I'm sure it's tough to have the limited space, but you've got a mini jungle on your balcony. The fun part will be seeing how you juggle them as they continue to grow :) - which they will because you are obviously taking good care of them.

Hey thank you for the kind words! It is gonna be fun to figure out how to maneuver those things around so that they fit and grow well. Which they will! i dont give them a choose in the matter! Thanks for stopping by and checkin in!

Brit-
Space juggling! ...one of the added benefits of our hobby I think! The things we do to accomodate our plants!The chinenses like to leaf out before they go into full bore pepper production...then BAM, the podding begins!So sounds like all is progressing very nicely, you will have THE greenest balcony in Switzerland!
And yes, the Yellow 7 will be worth the wait!

Well it was a slow week around here again. due to low temps and cloud cover. but ive got a few pics anyway. Biggest news is the yellow 7s are getting there first pods!! so of my plants its only the scorpions and butch Ts that havent at least got one pod yet. Hoping they will pod up in the next few weeks. ok a few pics from this mornin.

Hot wax pods keep growing
110_0834.jpg

Birdseye is getting covered up again. this plant has got so many leaves covering every inch of it its insane.
110_0835.jpg

On one of the bhut plants
110_0832.jpg

another Bhut
110_0831.jpg

yellow 7 flower
110_0830.jpg

Habs. the whole plant is loaded like this.
110_0829.jpg

first yellow 7pot!
110_0828.jpg

Mulato pods and huge. i had to tie another support for its branches
110_0825.jpg

the crowd.
110_0837.jpg

Thanks for stopping by

Nice Bee, your yellow 7s lool smoother than mine. Is that an ancho mulato? I grew one of those last year and it got huge. My pods looked like they had a butt. Good luck

DANG! looking good man.
Hey thanks man.

Nice Bee, your yellow 7s lool smoother than mine. Is that an ancho mulato? I grew one of those last year and it got huge. My pods looked like they had a butt. Good luck

Yea i have seen both bumpy and smooth 7 pot pods both red and yellow. not sure why that is. Yea thats the ancho mulato. thing is already freaking tall and loaded with pods. not sure what it is i plan to do with them.

Hey B,

Your plants are looking very healthy!..........pretty soon the plants will be growing through each other and at that point you may want to throw a couple of bamboo sticks to support the branches. How many hrs of direct sunlight do your plants receive on the balcony and is there a considerable amount of wind?

Greg

Hey B,

Your plants are looking very healthy!..........pretty soon the plants will be growing through each other and at that point you may want to throw a couple of bamboo sticks to support the branches. How many hrs of direct sunlight do your plants receive on the balcony and is there a considerable amount of wind?

Greg

Hey Greg thanks for stopping by. Thats a good idea with the bambo. If i tie there limbs upwards go i need to worry about the leaves being turned too far upwards? they get about 7 hours of direct sunlight right now. Unfortunately its not morning sun. Right now it is from about 1200 to 700pm and getting more and more sun all the time. Not sure if they are getting enough but not too much choice at the moment. They do get a fair amount of wind. Fortunately there is a building to the south east not far from our balcony that helps with the wind but its also my keeps them in the shade all morning. Any suggestions or recomendations would be awesome.
Go Seven's!
Getting pods is always exciting, great job and nice plants

Thanks guys! Yea im getting stoked and hoping things keep picking up the warmer and better the weather gets.

Back