• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest BEGIN! Burger Royale Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
rstn9d.jpg

grantmichaels said:
Can't craft final in Tapatalk tonight - they broke it again ...

attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433665710.665248.jpg

attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433665730.314897.jpg

attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433665740.159271.jpg

attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433665748.282763.jpg

attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433665764.943014.jpg

I'll do some post on the pics tomorrow and make the final post w/ text on a desktop machine ...

The only thing I didn't eat:

attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433665873.108651.jpg

So, good.

Boiled burgers for the win!!  Very pretty Grant.  

Nice burgers so far, wish if I was joining in but day 2 of dance recitals starts in 2 hours.  

SnF's Chicken Grilled Chicken Burger

Ground chicken breast is a low fat source of good protein.  On it's own it can be dry and bland though, so we're kicking it up with garlic scapes and some jalapenos and onion - all from the garden - along with a couple mushrooms and the last of my roasted tomato salsa.   :)  For this recipe you will need:

1 lb ground chicken breast
1 egg
2 oz chopped garlic scapes
2 oz chopped fresh mushroom
2 oz chopped onion
2 chopped jalapeno peppers
2 oz roasted tomato salsa
1/3 cup potato buds (shh - secret ingredient!)
4 oz manchego cheese
1 tbsp home made seasoned salt.

Directions:

1. Saute the onions, mushrooms, jalapenos and scapes in a bit of butter over medium low heat until almost caramelized, about 12 minutes .
2. Remove from heat and allow the mixture to cool.  Go start the grill.   :)
3. When onion/pepper/shroom/scape mixture is cooled combine with the roasted tomato salsa and the potato buds.  Mix well.

n6zxue.jpg

4. Crack the egg into the bowl and then add the ground chicken breast.  Mix it up nice.
5. Hand form the mix into patties and top with the seasoned salt, then throw em on the grill!

2qvxpo2.jpg

6. Top with sliced manchego after they are flipped and cook to an internal temp of 165 degrees and then remove to rest for 5 minutes.
7. Plate the burger on a toasted kaiser roll with your choice of toppings.  I used some more of the habanero mustard (recipe below), along with some shredded iceberg lettuce, sliced tomato & onion and a bit of chipotle mayo (2 tbsp mayo, 2 tbsp el capitan).  Here you can see it all coming together:

2ymddhd.jpg

The cut pic:

9r3s7c.jpg

Kool Aid man says OOHH YEAHH!

24pxc8p.jpg

Habanero Mustard Recipe:

1/2 cup yellow mustard seeds
1/2 cup tequila
1/2 cut distilled vinegar
1/2 tsp sea salt
4 dried habs (sub your own favorite to taste)

Dump the mustard seeds into a non reactive bowl.
Top with tequila, cover with plastic wrap.  Let sit 2-3 days, until the tequila is absorbed.
Once tequila is absorbed transfer to food processor and push play.
Drizzle in the vinegar (you'll need it all) and then add the salt.
Turn out to a bowl, cover tightly and allow to age in the back of the fridge for one month.
After a month take it out and taste - might need a bit more salt and/or a touch of honey for balance.
Keeps pretty much indefinitely.  :)

Ohhh will you look at that!

Nice, SF ... that habanero mustard looks bad-ass.

Someone was just talking about ground chicken patty the other day on here, and I was trying to figure out how it's processed (I've never done it) ...

------

Musky left me no choice, really. I've never seen ground beef look like that, cooked.

The best part, though, is that I have the 3rd patty and some onions still ... and another slice of that tomato ...

I'll just revive it and pan fry it and see what I can do after a while ...

I'm sure I'll make a single today that's better than the double, but that's OK, I'll just copy the text and change horses to that one if I need to - haha ...

D3monic said:
What hurt me is that mine are overcooked by yalls standards... I just cant eat bloody meat tho grosses me out. A good quality steak maybe but never burger

Some people can vote by your ingredients and creativity.. others will vote on execution and yeah, won't be able to vote for well done. If you can separate yourself it is good since it is preference, but I admit, even I have a hard time doing it, but we shall see. Never count yourself out... especially when you made killer burgers, to your liking! 

D3monic said:
What hurt me is that mine are overcooked by yalls standards... I just cant eat bloody meat tho grosses me out. A good quality steak maybe but never burger

That's a full medium on mine (134F) ...

The real-deal sous vide burger is done at 126F for rare on a 1" thick patty (mine were probably 3/4") ...

It makes a tasty, bloody mess of everything ...

We're all hobbled by trying to cook by color.

Nicely cooked chicken can still be pink, same for pork, and for beef.

Damn fine chicken burger! Post that hab recipe up in that one too. Just tryin' to help, people won't click another link when voting, and it could make some minds up. ;)

Shit. I've seen medium rare red that looks bone dry as cotton because they used a low fat sirloin. I've seen brown all the way through that's moist and juicy as hell (see Heckle). To me juices matter. Dry, ain't goin' for it. That's just me!

The patty melt looks damn juicy and a good temp. :)

SmokenFire said:
Really great entries thus far!

I feel completely out-classed.

*Paul hides his weekend burgers and feels ashamed.... ;)
JoynersHotPeppers said:
Apparently I have to cook my fresh ground sirloin to med according to the in-house jury :( I think I'll hide mine off on the side a tad less done. Nice chicken burger!

Give me mine RARE......

I'll take my chances.

I'm a MR guy JHP.

Medium is not a bad idea though for votes, being the median and all.

Just cook it how you want!!! I know for a fact most people like MR here anyway. :)

paulky_2000 said:
Give me mine RARE......

I'll take my chances.

Can you dig this?

http://www.chefsteps.com/activities/cook-sous-vide-tonight-insulated-cooler-method

I just paid $15 for a 2 gal cooler to use as a mash tun for test batches of beer ...
http://amzn.com/B00363PRFG

This is like $4-5 ...
http://www.amazon.com/Ziploc-Vacuum-Starter-3-Quart-1-Pump/dp/B003UEMFUG

You can rock rare if that's your thing, seriously.

Visit the dark side =)

keybrdkid said:
I updated the order of my photos for you grantmichaels.

Good call, I think.

I can really get lost in those two, like that.

(Page 5, for anyone who's thinking about looking for it ...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back