• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest BEGIN! Burger Royale Round 2 - Veggie

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm just wondering why geeme is purchasing something like yams/sweetpotato/squash that is already peeled/chunked and in a plastic tray.....??????

OH!!!!! thanks for the reminder!!!!! Just went and retrieved last night's geeme'd wine!

Because geeme rules.

I'm just wondering why geeme is purchasing something like yams/sweetpotato/squash that is already peeled/chunked and in a plastic tray.....??????

OH!!!!! thanks for the reminder!!!!! Just went and retrieved last night's geeme'd wine!

Because geeme rules.

uuhhm I though the boss made the rules and geeme enforced them.......

:?:

OOOOOohhhhh!!!!! I Get IT!!!!!

GEEME RULES! WOOHOO!

Preview post...

I have to say, I was kind of fearing this TD - meat is an easy way to get loads of flavor and consistency in a burger. So I went to my cabinet, pulled out some things, went to the store, picked up some things, and to my great surprise I ended up making a really, really tasty thing that I will make again and again. Really thrilled to throw my hat in the ring because win or lose I love my new recipe.

I started with a wide array of ingredients:

1 Yellow wax pepper
1 orange habanero
1 orange bell pepper

1 Tbsp Sambal Olek (chili sauce)
1 carrot, grated
1 yellow squash, grated
1/2 cup Bacardi rum
1 can Ortega diced green peppers
1 can tomato paste
1 box orzo
1 bag lentils
1 egg white
1 box of Panko, a Japanese breadcrumb
peanut oil
1 yellow onion
1 tsp Lucky Dog Hot Sauce, Red Label
1/2 tsp justaguy's Cherry Scorpion Powder (loving our trade still!)
pinch of sea salt
pinch of black pepper
kosher dill pickles
Peperoncini slices
3-cheese italian cheese blend (romano/asiago/parmesean
1 tsp Coleman's dry mustard
Fresh basil
DEFCON Habby Horse habanero horseradish
potato dinner rolls

Not quite all the ingredients...more appear as we go. I was kind winging it. :D

292663_10150953609500340_1788837635_n.jpg

Sauteed the grated carrot, chopped onion, chopped bell pepper, grated yellow squash and minced wax & habanero pepper in peanut oil - Poured in about 1/2 C of bacardi and reduced until the onion was translucent and the bell pepper was al dente.
600009_10150953627770340_903233725_n.jpg

580019_10150953610185340_748933897_n.jpg

ended up with this...set aside.

560292_10150953610610340_1691898083_n.jpg

Cooked both the lentil beans and Orzo. Lentils were cooked until soft, Orzo al dente.

Mixed Orzo, Lentils, onion/carrot/squash/hot pepper/bell pepper mixture with tomato paste, chili sauce, salt, Coleman's mustard, fresh chopped basil, panko, eggwhite, scorpion powder, LDHS Red Label, and about 1/4 C of the cheese mixture.

208954_10150953611270340_22800671_n.jpg

Mixed thoroughly, but careful not to crush the beans or pulvarize the Orzo:

576649_10150953611775340_287630992_n.jpg

Edited to add a pic of the uncooked patties - they were really cool looking:

601272_10150953679690340_886877617_n.jpg

Heated peanut oil until a tiny puff of smoke emerged, formed small-ish patties and fried on both sides until golden delicious. They smelled heavenly:

538587_10150953612200340_1024119831_n.jpg

Dusted with remaining cheese, and put under the broiler until melty

552774_10150953623910340_87732911_n.jpg

Posting the entry in a moment. :cheers:

Sweet Heat Orzo Lentil (Veggie) Cheeseburger Sliders!

The patty:

523510_10150953623145340_1610015241_n.jpg

Plated up with Ingelhoffer whole seed yellow mustard, and topped with the cherished DEFCON habby horse horseradish, sliced dill pickle, sliced Peperoncini, about 1 Tbsp of Ortega green chilies on a lightly toasted potato dinner roll/slider bun.

These tasted about 1,000 times better than they looked and they looked great. I am SO glad I have 2 large patties left to fry up and put in the fridge - the combination of basil and hot pepper was reminiscent of Thai food, but the sweetness of the carrot, tomato paste and bell pepper were tempered by the tangy horseradish and Ortega chilies. The noodles & beans worked really well together to make a very ground beef-like density. They held together perfectly, aside from a stray Orzo noodle or two.

I wanted to use a pasta because veggie/bean burgers tend to be far too dense. Not only did that work out great, but they balanced the lentils in texture and also seared in the peanut oil to help form a crispy outer layer that was really pleasing. The italian cheeses were extremely complimentary and also helped as a binding agent.

Behold, the Sweet Heat Orzo Lentil (Veggie) Cheeseburger Sliders!

464395_10150953654995340_275002028_o.jpg

1 Yellow wax pepper
1 orange habanero
1 orange bell pepper
1 Tbsp Sambal Olek (chili sauce)
1 carrot, grated
1 yellow squash, grated
1/2 cup Bacardi rum
1 can Ortega diced green peppers
1 can tomato paste
1 box orzo
1 bag lentils
1 egg white
1 box of Panko, a Japanese breadcrumb
peanut oil
1 yellow onion
1 tsp Lucky Dog Hot Sauce, Red Label
1/2 tsp justaguy's Cherry Scorpion Powder (loving our trade still!)
pinch of sea salt
pinch of black pepper
kosher dill pickles
Peperoncini slices
3-cheese italian cheese blend (romano/asiago/parmesean
1 tsp Coleman's dry mustard
Fresh basil
DEFCON Habby Horse habanero horseradish
potato dinner rolls

Peppers used: [background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]Sambal Olek, cherry-smoked scorpion powder, orange habanero, yellow wax, orange bell, [/background][background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]Ortega chilis[/background][background=rgb(255, 244, 228)] and more counting the pickled peppers and Jalapeno/Serrano in the LDHS Red Label. [/background]

Sauteed the grated carrot, chopped onion, chopped bell pepper, grated yellow squash and minced wax & habanero pepper in peanut oil - Poured in about 1/2 C of bacardi and reduced until the onion was translucent and the bell pepper was al dente.

Cooked both the lentil beans and Orzo. Lentils were cooked until soft, Orzo al dente.

Mixed Orzo, Lentils, onion/carrot/squash/hot pepper/bell pepper mixture with tomato paste, chili sauce, salt, fresh chopped basil, panko, eggwhite, scorpion powder, LDHS Red Label, and about 1/4 C of the cheese mixture.

Mixed thoroughly, but careful not to crush the beans or pulvarize the Orzo

Heated peanut oil until a tiny puff of smoke emerged, formed small-ish patties and fried on both sides until golden delicious. They smelled heavenly

Dusted with remaining cheese, and put under the broiler until melty

Nice call for the CI, ldsh! But you are WWWWAAAAAAYYYYYY understaffed on the rum!!!!

;)

[sub]sheesh, that's not even enough to get out of the PREP stage!!!! [/sub]

[sub]lol, luv u[/sub]

edit for the cross posting----

Nice Sliders, LDHS! Good Job!

When you go to the sto' late at night on the weekend before restocking time, sometimes you take what they have....
Enjoy that wine!

And now..... dark chocolate and butter getting all melty together:
P1010016.JPG

Interrupt all that togetherness with sugar, cocoa powder, whipping cream, dash of salt, a brisk shake of cinnamon, then caress it all with powdered douglah and chipotle:
P1010017.JPG

Oh YEAAAAH.... feelin' the LOVE:
P1010018.JPG

Oh hell no, I was gonna say someone do a desset burger... gemme was on in my head!

BTW - heat-wise I give these a solid 7. The scorpion powder was a real ass-kicker. The hab was nowhere near as hot as that. The habby horse added a whole nose-dripping sinus heat to the mixture. The chilies were pure flavor at that point. Love that cherry scorpion powder!

I received feedback for not enough peppers last time - this time I had Sambal Olek, scorpion powder, habanero, wax, bell and more counting the pickled pepper and Ortegas. My mouth just stopped sizzling and it's like 30 mins later. :dance:

LDHS - first off, I give you my bonus points for 1) fair use of Bacardi, 2) wiggling some pasta in there!, and 3) CHEEZ!!!!! I love that you said it's something you'd make again! I was going to subtract a point for the lentils (never have met a lentil I liked), but darned if you didn't make even those little nasties look GOOD!!!!!! A+ my friend!!!!!! :)

..... I was going to use congo trinidads in the chocolate sauce, but at the last minute decided on the douglah and chipotle powders instead. Such an excellent choice. Mmmm. Goes well drizzled on sweetened dried cranberries, too.

OK, had a multi-quote that didn't work.....so.....

LDHS, that's what the "EDIT" feature is for! you have time to fix it....

geeme and THP....uhmmmm... never mind.... :tapeovermouthsmiley:

Mmmmm something about the way Geeme says 'drizzled'.....

Excelent entrie LDHs. You a contendah! :dance: :dance: :dance:

Where da hael is Sum at? You screwed man?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back