• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest BEGIN! Ethnic/Regional Sandwich II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sum is gonna be my Yoda on this one. We are collaborating via PM to launch me to victory.

That's like crossing the streams in Ghost Busters, yo.

I pray Wheebz' highness led him to a taco bell and he enters that.

Not "enters" it, like in a dirty way...but bean burritos are probably texturally similar to apple pie...

teaser

its gonna be pretty apparent what I am doing

this is more of a Northern Germany regional version of this sammich

2012-08-04_10-34-49_801.jpg

I scratched the Sriracha sauce in this BTW, ended up making my chili sauce completely from scratch instead of using sriracha as a base like I was going to

Was in it this TD discussion or a general sandwich thread where it was said that wraps/rolls/pocket bread 'Is not a sandwich' by the boss?

[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]Examples: Cuban, Falafel, Philly Cheese Steak, etc., etc., etc. What constitutes a sandwich? If [/background]they[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)] call it a sandwich, it is one. So no asking. If it is it is, if not, not.
[/background]

[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]the sammich I am referring to is called a SANDWICH where it is from[/background]

All power to you in that case then, only expressing the desire for some clarification of the rules for your benefit, because I swear i heard something about flat breads somewhere, but like I said, it may have been the sandwich thread not the TD thread.

Wheebz Doner Kebab Sandwich (Northern Germany regional doner sandwich)

Had this version of it in Dusseldorf. First kind I came across with no lettuce and the use of chicken instead of lamb or veal like it is traditionally in most every other area. In other areas they had choices of meat, in this specific city they only offered chicken at 2 of the stands I went to while I was there

Meat

Chicken, sliced super thin, pounded even thinner, marinated in sweet chili, olive oil, parmesian cheese, vinegar, then throw on skewers and since I dont have a rotisserie, i went with what I had.

Into the oven they went at 250, have been in there for about 45 minutes so far, ill yank it out in about 15 more

2012-08-04_10-52-12_878.jpg

2012-08-04_10-52-07_851.jpg

2012-08-04_10-52-34_721.jpg

Tzatziki sauce
Yogurt, lemon grass, cucumber, garlic, salt, pepper

2012-08-04_11-04-42_811.jpg

Skhug sauce
red chilis, whole hab, garlic, cilantro, cumin, coriander, clove. This sauce seems to be almost identical in every region the sandwich seems to be made

Cellphone action shot!!!!

2012-08-04_11-13-22_950.jpg

And toppings
Cabbage slightlly sauteed with olive oil, pepper, salt
tomatos
cucumbers

2012-08-04_11-38-59_348.jpg

chickens done

2012-08-04_11-58-41_891.jpg

Pablo, check out the first post in this thread. Boss said if it's considered a sandwich in the region it is from, it is a sandwich for this competition. Wraps/rolls/pocket bread ok this time. Each TD follows different rules, so sometimes it's like this, and sometimes it's like two pieces of bread.

Wheebz, don't forget PoL!

Pablo, check out the first post in this thread. Boss said if it's considered a sandwich in the region it is from, it is a sandwich for this competition. Wraps/rolls/pocket bread ok this time. Each TD follows different rules, so sometimes it's like this, and sometimes it's like two pieces of bread.
Only posting because I care ;) Didn't want an argument, just didn't want some stupid rule to make wheebz kebab ineligible. Because regular sandwiches suck IMO, flat bread, wraps, pocket bread etc forever LOL
I'm going to bed. :high:

Wheebz Doner Kebab Sandwich (Northern Germany regional doner sandwich)

Had this version of it in Dusseldorf. First kind I came across with no lettuce and the use of chicken instead of lamb or veal like it is traditionally in most every other area. In other areas they had choices of meat, in this specific city they only offered chicken at 2 of the stands I went to while I was there

Meat

Chicken, sliced super thin, pounded even thinner, marinated in sweet chili, olive oil, parmesian cheese, vinegar, then throw on skewers and since I dont have a rotisserie, i went with what I had. Into the oven they went at 250.

Tzatziki sauce
Yogurt, lemon grass, cucumber, garlic, salt, pepper

Skhug sauce
red chilis, whole hab, garlic, cilantro, cumin, coriander, clove. This sauce seems to be almost identical in every region the sandwich seems to be made

And toppings
Cabbage slightlly sauteed with olive oil, pepper, salt
tomatos
cucumbers

2012-08-04_12-17-48_984.jpg

2012-08-04_12-18-46_297.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back