• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest BEGIN! Ethnic/Regional Sandwich II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks. I have modified the real thing to something hotter that I like better, but basically that is what a real Philly looks like. I have eaten lots of them.

I call BS.

Yours needs more wiz.

Crap.

boz wine kicking in.

Gotta fetch the briskey.

picys mannnana

Pea's.

I'm ouut!

Some more BShit, DTS...

What the heck is this two secret ingredients crap, and no pepper ingredient.

I would have loved to make YOUR sandwich in the future, but somehow I don't think I can.

~Angry Voter

Some more BShit, DTS...

What the heck is this two secret ingredients crap, and no pepper ingredient.

I would have loved to make that sandwich, but somehow I don't think I can.

~Angry Voter

The chillies are in the sauce Scovie.

The reason why there is two secret ingredients is because in Porto, the restaurants guard their recipes closely. Just trying to keep it authentic ;)

The two 'secret' ingredients in mine can be interchanged with all sorts of things. What I listed as ingredients are the bulk of the flavours :D

The chillies are in the sauce Scovie.

The reason why there is two secret ingredients is because in Porto, the restaurants guard their recipes closely. Just trying to keep it authentic ;)

The two 'secret' ingredients in mine can be interchanged with all sorts of things. What I listed as ingredients are the bulk of the flavours :D

DAMM YOU!

One more for tonight, and this was messy.

Mint Coriander Chutney
chutney.jpg

First, for those who don't already know, cilantro = coriander. I typically refer to coriander seeds as "coriander" and the leaves as "cilantro." This uses cilantro (aka coriander leaves), mint leaves, ginger, lemon juice, cumin, black salt, and green chiles. Slap it all in a blender and liquefy, adding water if necessary. It should yield a thin paste. Let rest in the refrigerator overnight.

Fair warning, if you have the guts to give this a try, is you'd better take a breath and hold it before opening the lid to the jar of the blender. This has an effect much like powdering dried pods - much choking ensues. It smells great once you get over the choking, but watch out until then!

OK, here we go.
Had a few, just short of too many.
Made a Cuban delicacy. Something you will find at EVERY lunch counter in Miami.
Pan Con Bistec.
IMGP2678.jpg

Note the LARD in the bread, which stands for Loco Ass Ridiculous Deliciousness
IMGP2681.jpg

More to come...

Koolaid and Tums, FD?
You never know who's gonna show up at the SoFlo kitchen...

Grilled up some onions...
IMGP2679.jpg

Seared up some thinly sliced sirloins, seasoned with Bitter Orange Seasoning...
IMGP2680.jpg

Slapped those babies on some fresh Cuban bread (still warm from the oven)
IMGP2682.jpg

Topped with freshly sliced tomato, grilled jalapeno, a little mayo, and "papitas" (potato sticks)
A squeeze of lime and a little extra bitter orange Sazon
IMGP2686.jpg

Pan Con Bistec is so damn good, we eat it all the time!!!
Yo Mama likes it too...

Frydad's Pan Con Bistec

This is a Cuban Classic. You will find this sandwich at local diners all across Florida.
The meat is very thin on purpose. It's a thinly sliced top sirloin.
The meat is seasoned with Bitter Orange Seasoning and seared on the griddle, palomilla style.
The onions are sauteed with some olive oil and salt...
Then the jalapenos jump into the pool, seasoned the same way.
The Cuban bread is fresh from the bakery, and smeared with a little bit of mayo.
The tomatoes are vine ripe. But I ripped them off the vine in the store, so I didn't pay for stems.

Bread, meat, sauteed onions, tomato, jalapeno, papitas, mayo, bread.
GROUND!!!!!!

Maybe my favorite Miami Sandwich!

IMGP2690.jpg

IMGP2691.jpg

...And then someone threw a tricycle in the tree.

Garden fresh marinara. You have to know that Italian grandmaws a hundred years or more ago didn't follow a set recipe every time...they went with whatever they had ripe. In this case, fresh zucchini adds a rich, sweet flavor, and a creamy texture.

A little prep work...a leek, an entire head of garlic, a pile of home grown tomatoes, and some home grown zucchini.
I thought I'd post a mater-prep shot of how to clean the button out of a mater and save as much "meat" as possible. Bifurcate from top to bottom, then at an slight angle,make a V-cut to get the button and the tough part out.

aug 2012 td2.jpg

Get the CI nice and hot with some imported EVOO...as in...my parents bring me some back every time they visit Greece. You want to brown...not burn the garlic.

aug 2012 td3.jpg

When the garlic is browned, add leek, and zucchini. In this case, I fully skinned the zuch...the skins tend to toughen up on the variety I grew...so off with them. Store bought zuch is softer...so no need to skin it.

aug 2012 td4.jpg

When that mess start to get translucent...it's mater-time. Clear out a spot in the middle, and toss 'em all in. More EVOO.

aug 2012 td5.jpg

As soon as the maters are added...it's wine time. I prefer a dryish but sweet white wine in my marinara.

aug 2012 td6.jpg

As for the skins...after about 10 minutes, they start to get looser than Scovie's words on a Saturday night. Easiest way to peel them (since this will be a hand-mash, instead of kitchen-gadget mash) is to find the mater skins wrinkled up, and draga fork across them...if they turn loose, rake it about half way down and pull back and up. Most of them come right off. There are a few you have to reach in and grab...but it's all good.

aug 2012 td7.jpg

After you get all the skins out...it's herbage time. I use a generous amount of sweet basil, some spicy globe basil, rosemarry, thyme, and greek oregano. No need to chop them...they'll get mashed in the process. At this point, add a pinch of brown sugar, a few oinches of paprika, a fat ass pinch of sea salt, and some cracked pepper straight from the pepper-mill. You can omit the BP if Gemme is coming by...it's a nice touch, but not necessary.

aug 2012 td8.jpg

Let that simmer on med-lo for a couple hours...but you gotta work it...let it burn and/or stick...and in the trash it goes.

Time to make some 50/50 white/wheat bread.

aug 2012 td9.jpg

But whatever shall I use a black naga, onion, garlic, and stale bagel for...

aug 2012 td10.jpg

Maybe I'll turn the bagel into bread crumbs...since Italian grandmaws used stale bread for cumbage...toss it all in with a pound of pork, and a pound of beef...

aug 2012 td11.jpg

And make meatballs!

aug 2012 td12.jpg

Time to continue mashing on the sauce...

aug 2012 td13.jpg

In a separate pan...coat the bottom with EVOO...and sear the meatballs...turn...sear...turn...

aug 2012 td14.jpg

When properly browned on the sides...ladel on the marinara...with a diced 7-pot to boot...

aug 2012 td15.jpg

Simmer down for about an hour...

aug 2012 td16.jpg

This thing was running through the house screaming "YAAAAAAAAAAAAA DADA!!!"...so I guess he wanted a phot-op.

aug 2012 td17.jpg

But how'd the bread turn out...with a little butter, EVOO garlic/onion slathered across the top?

aug 2012 td18.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back