• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest BEGIN! Pizza Party Throwdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hit Print Screen, then open Start > All Programs > Accessories > Paint, and then hit Control-V, File > Save As, and change the Save As Type to .JPG ... done.

The Hot Pepper said:
stickman, I don't think you told us what was in that jerk rub? In the food processor? I read it twice.

The (general) ingreds to the dry rub would help too, even if it's commercial. Gotta whet the appetite for votes. :)

Sorry boss... I had to wait for my wife to vacate the computer before I could finish the post. :oops:

Oh no worries just trying to help if case you didn't know.

fresh mozzarella is done! pulled some really nice curd this batch
20141207_145755_zps5d128df6.jpg

incorporating some salt and doing the stretch
20141207_151427_zps12b46488.jpg

sorry about the paper-PoL bossman it won't happen again. after buying all these ingredients I didn't have any money left  :P
20141207_151728_zpsf3a6fa48.jpg

FreeportBum said:
sorry about the paper-PoL bossman it won't happen again. after buying all these ingredients I didn't have any money left  :P
LOL it's fine really I just don't want it to become a thing and looked like it was. Certain things have always been mainstays and worked since the beginning but your explanation is fine. Trust when I say I get PMs when something is not in order and I like to avoid those where possible. ;)

You know FPB, when I was buying ingredients and looking in vain for buffalo mozza (they'll have it for me later this week), I thought of you and knew you would be making your own mozzarella.  Go on wit yer bad self.

Classic pizza - Hot Marinara

Probably this isn't going to meet many agreement, but probably could be the healthiest pizza of that TD! :rofl:
Also good for vegans...
Also, except the pepper, is one of the 2 true classic pizza, the other is Margherita. In Naples there's one of the most ancient pizzerie, "Da Michele", maybe is the one that offered Margherita to the english queen, hence the name, that makes just Marinara and Margherita. Many thinks that it's the best pizzeria of the world by a longshot. Others criticize it... You know, it's difficult to agree all on food and we italians can't just agree with each others... :rofl:
Although i'm a cheese lover and i want mozz to be excellent it's still one of the best pizza and maybe the best use possible of garlic. Really.
It's simple, but making it really good it's not easy at all. Classic pizza is probably the hardest type.
Above all, that was the pizza i wanted to eat today.

So: homemade of homegrown tomato puree, that vas very thick, mozzarella, mashed garlic, 3 cloves. After cooking douglah rough powder and evo on top.
Dough details here: http://thehotpepper.com/topic/51987-begin-pizza-party-throwdown/?p=1087006 with then 4 hours appretto + 2-3 regenering. 200g paniello.
I forgot to take a pic of uncooked pizza.

igxFM9IPLE0oe.jpg

ibwzIAZPvlk7Oo.jpg

iQnwF5fsWbgLd.jpg

Dough was good, no much wonder since it's similar to classic neapolitan.
It was crispy due to low temperature but by no means hard, so if you like crispy pizza that is excellent. Still, it has been one of my best cooking, if not the best, probably because without mozz it cooked faster.

stickman said:
I can see it'll be hard to beat Essegi in the classic pizza category... Nice job! :)
Many thanks Rick! ;)

PIC 1 said:
Essegi's pies.........perfect ......as usual
Thanks! You are kind to say that, that's not perfect and by far! :D

The Hot Pepper said:
Uh this tells us absolutely nothing, it is not pictured with any ingredients or pies, anyone can show a picture by itself... please follow the rules if you would like your entry to count.

And people stop the paper thing, we've been doing this since 2009 with coins or bills and you're starting a trend.

Thanks!!
Sorry boss, it was just a joke, i thought it was funny to use π for a shot. Of course i use real money! :D

JayT said:
Essegi makes simple look amazing every time.
Thanks Jay!

The Hot Pepper said:
Essegi not sure why that is "unofficial" but I guess you have a plan. :D

If I were you I'd count it unless you think it would split your votes. That's possible. Haha. Strategy!
Of course that is unofficial! Don't count that! :D

FreeportBum said:
fresh mozzarella is done! pulled some really nice curd this batch
I actually think that requires more skill than making a good dough (with good dough i mean better than mine). Hats off!

Atm i don't comment any pizza, they look really good, i must read all well, maybe tomorrow or on day votes.

Ashen's  had to lay the Salami to the Putanesca Pie

Entering it in the unique category based on the dough. 

Pizza Dough

I like to start dough 5 to 6 days ahead of time and place in the fridge for a slow ferment to build flavour. 

all purpose flour 800 gr
stone ground corn meal 150 gr
ultrasperse ( modified starch)50 gr
ascorbic acid (vitamin C) 500 mg tablet ( small pinch if powdered)
traditional yeast 2 gr
Water 750 gr room temp 
sea salt 25 gr 
60 gr extra virg olive oil 

Start with an autolyse , mix  750 gr of the  ap flour and the 750 gr of water in stand mixer bowl.  Let sit covered with plastic wrap for 35 to 40 mins.  Autolyse is a fancy word but basically it is just a way to build large amounts of gluten .  the water causes the flour protein to rip apart and form the gluten instead of  just with kneading. This will give you a stretchy dough that you can get thin without ripping even with AP flour

Add  remaining flour , corn meal , ascorbic acid , yeast, ultrasperse, sea salt and mix on med with flat paddle blade for 10  mins. Stop now and then to scrap down sides.   The high hydration makes this more of a batter than dough at this point. Add the extra virg olive oil  and mix for anther 5 mins.  

pour some olive oil into a large zipper bag  and make sure the inside is oiled up, then put the dough into the bag, Zip and leave in fridge for 5 to 6 days.  You will have to keep and eye on it once or twice a day to keep it from bursting out of the bag. squeeze it to release the CO2  burp it out and reseal.

this will make 4 large pie skins 

Toppings
tomato puree
granna padano cheese grated on ribbon grater microplane. 30 gr  spinkled over puree 
minced fresh garlic  2 small cloves minced 

shredded fruilano cheese   aprox 100 gr  shredded on box grater. 
onion (thin sliced) 1/4 small onionKalamata olives approx 12 pitted and ripped apart

brown mushrooms    10 -12 thick slices 
extra virgin olive oil  drizzled over the mushrooms
dry cured veneto salami ( thin sliced)  10 slices
few grinds of fresh black pepper
anchovy  added after baking.  1 fillet per slice 
smoke dried scotch bonnet flakes  sprinkled on 

The dough is very sticky .   rub some olive oil on hands and use about 1/2 cup of bench flour to form skin.   Corn meal on peel to help it slide off. 

topped in order above, baked on 500 F baking stones for 12 mins 

GEDC5033_zps5223635e.jpg

GEDC5035_zpsefe78a6e.jpg

GEDC5036-Copy_zps068f96d0.jpg

GEDC5037_zpsb9aea802.jpg

GEDC5038_zps3c9544f9.jpg

Essegi said:
Sorry boss, it was just a joke, i thought it was funny to use π for a shot. Of course i use real money! :D

Of course that is unofficial! Don't count that! :D
Damn you! :lol: You got me.

And okay but that pie is slammin'. Think it over.

Interesting technique with the dough Ashen! Out of curiousity... why the cornmeal, modified starch and vitamin C?

Lovers - Italian Flag
Basil lovers. Homemade pesto alla genovese of homegrown basil. It was frozen and i don't know how much old... Still store bought is much worse.
The name is just for the colors, that wasn't intentional... But c'mon, pizza is from Italy so it's right to dedicate a pizza at its flag! :D

So... Pesto instead tomato. Mozz, stracchino. Pomodori datterini above and moruga powder previous cooking.
Just know that stracchino+pesto+pomodorini is one of the best combo ever for pizza. Really when i saw it at first time i ordered it just for curiosity, i had been greatly rewarded.
That is excellent also with tomato puree but in that way every slice of pomodorino is really a rewarding experience!
Dough details here: http://thehotpepper....down/?p=1087006 with then 4 hours appretto + 2-3 regenering.
ibdl8FLEmqBUtS.jpg

iiiPmQK3PIzDl.jpg

ihkrjWvJapByv.jpg

ivPq2uHOESZ4k.jpg

The Hot Pepper said:
Damn you! :lol: you got me.

And okay but that pie is slammin'. Think it over.
Trust me, that marinara i posted for classic is really on another planet (and imho clearly looks much much better thoug probably many won't agree)! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back