• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest BEGIN! Pizza Party Throwdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Then i'll add more madness!

Uniques - Vulcano
I just remember that stuffed pizza like flying disc was great with pepperoni, nduja, onion, olives... In general pig meat rules here btw!
I hope this qualifies for unique! :D
So i stuffed with red onions marinated with evo, bp, and salt; moizz; asiago; pepperoni; homemade tomato passata, black olive cause i hadn't green but here they're great.
And for heat a big annum chopped (if you see my first post is one on the right).

Dough details here: http://thehotpepper....down/?p=1087006 with then 4 hours appretto + 3 regenering.
Cooking: mid low position, around 270°C for 20 mins. Also strechted with rolling pin.
2*250g panielli.

iblyXfZR1YeEqU.jpg

ibrgmoGsKIsjPV.jpg

Well, that was nice to see... On pic you don't notice much. but there's vapour in right, nearly like a real volcano! :D And it has been a great thing because there wasn't liquid, it's easy when you cut those things  that much liquid will pour out.

iPn57rE7r5bzO.jpg

ib07rXnIRDhRg6.jpg

ibdAVkZJLmkg8d.jpg

Jay T's Classic Margherita

ok so here is where I make my humble attempt at a Margherita.  Nowhere to run, nowhere to hide.  I have dough, mozzarella, tomato sauce, basil leaves and a splash of olive oil.  

Pizza Dough:

2 cups OO flour
1.5 cups AP flour
1 tablespoon of yeast
1 cup of 107F water
drizzle olive oil
tsp salt
Tbs honey

Sauce:

Two large cans crushed tomatoes, water drained off.  
Half of an onion finely diced
Two tablespoons minced garlic
One scorpion chile finely chopped
One Douglah chile finely chopped
Two tablespoons fresh chopped basil
One tablespoon dried oregano
Tablespoon raw sugar
Teaspoon sea salt

Pizza:

Dough, 1/2 of recipe above
Sauce, about two ladles
1/2 lb mozzarella shredded, some chunks
fresh basil leaves as garnish
olive oil drizzle before serving.

Baked in 500F oven on preheated stone for 9 minutes.

102_0064.JPG

102_0067.JPG

102_0066.JPG

102_0068.JPG

102_0069.JPG

Had to use the fine china on this one.

Dessert - JAV (just another vulcano)

No much to say...
Mascarpone, dark chcoloate, 2 tablespoons of sugar and some chocolate sauce (made with just sugar, dark chocolate and water). 1 fatalli teaspoon.
After cooking on top more chocolate sauce and icing sugar, stolen from a pandoro at home.
Cooking: 12 mins at mid low position on oven at max temp (270 °C i suppose), then 8 mins with oven turned off.
Bottom was a burnt on top, still edible but maybe it's better to thrash the upper part.

Dough details here: http://thehotpepper....down/?p=1087006 with then 4 hours appretto + 3 regenering.
Cooking: mid low position, around 270°C for 20 mins. Also strechted with rolling pin.
2*250g panielli.

ibfxLTx3sL3Pb0.jpg

irOuZu1RpAWEg.jpg

i12VONKU4LUsf.jpg

ibykSmhulLJQNX.jpg

icOjFBKd1BFd3.jpg

Why not mozz and choco? It's good. And mascarpone and chocolate is something sure. Fatalii is good here. Fatalii is good everywhere.

cypresshill1973 said:
sounds good ... But do not know if I liked
If you speak about last one... I want to check tomorrow. I always like better cakes day after they're cooked. Not sure about mozz consistency after some time, i'll see. Taste is good btw.

Here other 2 pics:

Inside of vulcano prior cooking:
iN6NyI9yPjBw6.jpg

Vulcano and PoL
ibyOzs7mCJEbWW.jpg

JayT said:
Never seen anything like it Essegi, but I like.  And yes, fatalii is good anywhere.
My first year with it and i see why it is praised so much!

grantmichaels said:
Look at that razor-thin DOF, Essegi! ... is that the 85/1.2L II by chance? ... I feel like I recognize the fringing ...
Nope, Tamron 90mm macro (latest model). I think i used 2.8 (widest aperture) just on bottom of first volcano and mayybe on some side views. Exifs are preserved on loaded files. ;)
Out of interest, yesterday at the weeding a friend of mine showed me his Canon 50mm 1.4 and he's very proud of it, he says it's his funnier lens. :D

stickman said:
 Interesting technique with the dough Ashen! Out of curiousity... why the cornmeal, modified starch and vitamin C?

I just like the flavour the cornmeal adds.  

the vitamin C is a dough conditioner, basically it a texture enhancer. Helps to give a good chew. I use it even when I go with a more traditional dough with  00 flour and 60 % hydration. 

I experimented with the ultrasperse as a dough conditioner  when I read about someone using modified starches in cookies to give a softer texture.  It swells and locks in so much moisture it allows for such a high % hydration . Without it 75% is  is pretty much unworkable as a dough.   With it and the high hydration , the crust can be thin but still soft, the texture is similar to a thick more breadlike crust.  Strange as it may seem, I get the Ultrasperse at a Mennonite owned bulk store, where they sell it very cheaply. Apparently Mennonites love their modified starches, they also carry , thermflo, clear jel , and instant clear jel .  I guess they love a  heat stable, easy dispersing thickening agent as much as the Modernist crowd. :) 

AP flour is cheap in comparison to 00 pizza flour and I was having fun trying to use different conditioners to get a similar  result when I came up with it.   The experiment ended up being  significantly different texture wise but still  quite nice , so I thought I would share it in the TD. 

We have a Mennonite community/neighborhood within my city and anyone who wants "the best in town" goes there for breakfast, produce, and of course, their baked goods ...

You are speaking a little bit foreign language to me with the conditioner and % hydration Ashen.  I would love to chat with you about it sometime.  Do you own/worked in a pizza shop?  

Rustic Methow Pizza-  (full post with extra pictures,  I'll edit out the extra pics in the next post)

The Crust-
2 pkt active dry yeast
1 1/2c warm water
2Tb sugar
2 tsp salt
1/4c oil (I used less)
4 c flour
Mix yeast with warm water, let it rest for 5 minutes to get working.  Whisk in salt, sugar, and oil.  Then mix in 4 cups of flour to make a soft dough.  Place in an oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let it proof in a warm place for an hour or so~

I doubled this recipe because I wasn't sure how much dough it would make and here's the results-
IMG_3980.JPG

IMG_3984.JPG

It's ALIIIIVE!!!!
IMG_3987.JPG

Pizza Sauce-
1 tin San Marzano tomatoes
t tsp jalapeno seasoned salt (salt, jalapeno powder, garlic, onion, cumin)
1/3 cup onion
1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
5 sprigs fresh oregano leaves (stripped off stalk)
Whiz it all up in the food processor. 
remember the garlic! :doh:
take out most of the tomato sauce and re-blender with the garlic...

IMG_3982.JPG

The Toppings-
Hank's Hot Italian sausage- pre-cooked
Calabrese Salame (with red pepper flakes, a spicy pepperoni-like salame) pre-cooked and slivered
minced purple onion
fresh mozzarella
minced pickled jalapeno pepper medley
fresh basil
parmesan
IMG_3985.JPG

Pizza #1- for Salsadude
IMG_3990.JPG

IMG_3992.JPG

Pizza #2 for SalsaKid
IMG_3998.JPG

Pizza #3- for ME!
IMG_4000.JPG

Bump- por favor~

Rustic- Methow Pizza on Granite

The Crust-
2 pkt active dry yeast
1 1/2c warm water
2Tb sugar
2 tsp salt
1/4c oil (I used less)
4 c flour
Mix yeast with warm water, let it rest for 5 minutes to get working.  Whisk in salt, sugar, and oil.  Then mix in 4 cups of flour to make a soft dough.  Place in an oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let it proof in a warm place for an hour or so~

I doubled this recipe because I wasn't sure how much dough it would make and here's the results-
It's ALIIIIVE!!!!
IMG_3987.JPG

Pizza Sauce-
1 tin San Marzano tomatoes
t tsp jalapeno seasoned salt (salt, jalapeno powder, garlic, onion, cumin)
1/3 cup onion
1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
5 sprigs fresh oregano leaves (stripped off stalk)
Whiz it all up in the food processor. 
remember the garlic! :doh:
take out most of the tomato sauce and re-blender with the garlic...

The Toppings-
Hank's Hot Italian sausage- pre-cooked
Calabrese Salame (with red pepper flakes, a spicy pepperoni-like salame) pre-cooked and slivered
minced purple onion
fresh mozzarella
minced pickled jalapeno pepper medley
fresh basil
parmesan
IMG_3985.JPG

Pizza #3- for ME!
IMG_4000.JPG

IMG_4003.JPG

IMG_4006.JPG

The repurposed granite baking stone worked really well!  For the first pizza, the stone wasn't fully up to temp and the bottom of the crust wasn't as crisp as I wanted.  For pizza #2 and #3, the stone was HOT, and using cornmeal under the crust dough, it worked perfectly!  The spicy salame was a good base and with the pickled peppers, just enough of a bite.

Good Fun!

(edit- not sure why extra pics??  Will work on it or HELP?)

Attachments

• IMG_3985.JPG
    IMG_3985.JPG
    116.5 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_4000.JPG
    IMG_4000.JPG
    112.9 KB · Views: 63
[SIZE=medium]Fruit Crumble Pizza[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium](dessert category)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]I could see myself making this pizza again. It was interesting to take a dessert and make it into a pizza. I’ll probably use the left over ingredients to make more dessert. The end result tasted pretty good.  The dough was cold-fermented for 3 days.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Ingredient list[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Fresh Strawberries[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Fresh Blackberries[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Fresh lemon Juice[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]3 cups AP Flour[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]1 cup whole wheat flour[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]2 teaspoon salt[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]1 teaspoon ADY[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]2 teaspoon honey[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]½ cup water[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Olive Oil[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]3 Tablespoons AP Flour[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]¼ cup sugar[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]1 teaspoon cinnamon[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]1 cup AP Flour[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]¼ cup sugar[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]1/3 cup brown sugar[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]1 stick butter[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]½ steel cut oats[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]1 cup sliced almonds[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Vanilla ice cream[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Cayenne Pepper[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Halo’s Engine no. 9 powder[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]To make cold-ferment dough:[/SIZE]

1. [SIZE=medium]In a bowl, whisk together 3 cups AP flour, 1 cup whole wheat flour, two teaspoons salt, and one teaspoon Active Dry Yeast. Add two teaspoons honey and 1 ½ water to bowl.  Knead dough a bit to mix. Cover bowl with saran wrap and let it for 10 minutes.[/SIZE]
  2. [SIZE=medium]Knead the dough a bit more into a ball, and water by the tablespoon until proper consistency is reached. [/SIZE]
  3. [SIZE=medium]Divide dough into two pieces and place in gallon bag. Refrigerate for a few days.[/SIZE]
  4. [SIZE=medium]When ready, remove dough from bags and divide into two pieces each (total four dough.) Oil four separate bowls, place one dough ball in, and cover with plastic wrap. Let rise for two hours or so.[/SIZE]
  5. [SIZE=medium]When ready, roll out dough flat on a floured surface (if that is your desired dough shape.) Top and cook in oven at 425 degrees for twelve minutes. Finish on a heated grill at 500-600 degrees for about a minute, or until you just smell smoke.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]To make Fruit Crumble: [/SIZE]

1. [SIZE=medium]Wash and prepare Strawberries/Blackberries.[/SIZE]
  2. [SIZE=medium]Toss individual sets of fruit with a tablespoon of fresh lemon juice. Set aside.[/SIZE]
  3. [SIZE=medium]In two separate bowls, mix a quantity each of: ¼ cup sugar, 3 tablespoons AP flour, and ½ teaspoon cinnamon. Toss with separate fruit to coat.[/SIZE]
  4. [SIZE=medium]In a blender, combine 1 cup AP flour, ¼ cup sugar, 1/3 brown sugar, and a bit of salt. Mix. [/SIZE]
  5. [SIZE=medium]On a plate, slice up the stick of butter and add pieces to blender. Blend until butter is in smaller pieces. Or, if not getting smaller, pour mixture out into bowl and reduce in size by hand. [/SIZE]
  6. [SIZE=medium]If you have not already emptied blender contents into a bowl, do so now.[/SIZE]
  7. [SIZE=medium]Add to bowl ½ cup steel-cut oats and ½ cup sliced almonds.[/SIZE]
  8. [SIZE=medium]When ready, spread crumble mixture over fruit on pizza crust. Top with a few sliced almonds.[/SIZE]
  9. [SIZE=medium]Cook at 425 degrees for twelve minutes, and then finished on heated grill at 500-600 degrees for 1 minutes, or until you just smell smoke.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium][/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium][/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium][/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium][/SIZE]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back