• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest BEGIN! Pizza Party Throwdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
KeybrdKid, WOW!  Delicious looking dessert pie!

Bonus pics of extra dough~
Bread Stix!
pizza dough brushed with olive oil, sprinkled with Jalapeno Seasoned Salt and Parmesan
IMG_4001.JPG

IMG_4008.JPG

Devan's Deep Dish Pizza

Category: Deep Dish

Dough Ingredients:
150 grams AP flour
300 grams 00 flour
150 grams bread flour
75 grams sprouted whole wheat
150 grams sourdough starter
420 grams warm water
pinch of kosher salt
1 tbl of diastatic malt powder
1 tbl of evo

Dough: Place warm water and sourdough starter in a bowl and break up. add diastatic malt powder,salt,flour and evo. form into a ball, divide into individual portions and place into a oiled ziplock bag. then directly into the refrigerator for 12-48 hours.  take dough out 1-2 hours before using

Toppings: Hot and sweet italian sausage,chorizo,salami,chipolte rubbed bacon,double smoked bacon,sauteed shallot,fresh basil,roasted garlic

Cheese: Sliced provalone,grated smoked provalone,fresh homemade mozzarella,grated parm

Pizza Sauce: Roasted San Marzano tomatoes,roasted Manzano peppers,roasted garlic, kosher salt, roasted shallot,fresh thyme/oregano,malt vinegar

Assembly: I cooked/browned the sausage first, crisped up the bacon, and sauteed the shallots in the bacon fat. Formed my dough to the cast iron pan. then layered my toppings in the following order from bottom to top. Smeared bottom of crust with roasted garlic, then layer of sliced provalone, then the sausage,bacon,salami,sauteed shallots,another layer of sliced provalone,shreaded smoke provalone,then sauce. then a few pieces of my homemade fresh mozzarella on top. Basil was added when pie came out of oven. 

Cooking: Baked @ 450F for around 25 minutes then turned down heat to 400F for another 15-20 minutes. This was really good, but my best stuff is yet to come!
20141207_182331_zps3e8b0637.jpg

20141207_182814_zpsa41bb411.jpg

20141207_193900_zpse17663ce.jpg

20141207_194235_zps917b8400.jpg

20141207_195126_zps118bbfdc.jpg

OH SNAP!
Cray cray... it just gets better!

Ashen said:

I just like the flavour the cornmeal adds.  

the vitamin C is a dough conditioner, basically it a texture enhancer. Helps to give a good chew. I use it even when I go with a more traditional dough with  00 flour and 60 % hydration. 

I experimented with the ultrasperse as a dough conditioner  when I read about someone using modified starches in cookies to give a softer texture.  It swells and locks in so much moisture it allows for such a high % hydration . Without it 75% is  is pretty much unworkable as a dough.   With it and the high hydration , the crust can be thin but still soft, the texture is similar to a thick more breadlike crust.  Strange as it may seem, I get the Ultrasperse at a Mennonite owned bulk store, where they sell it very cheaply. Apparently Mennonites love their modified starches, they also carry , thermflo, clear jel , and instant clear jel .  I guess they love a  heat stable, easy dispersing thickening agent as much as the Modernist crowd. :)

AP flour is cheap in comparison to 00 pizza flour and I was having fun trying to use different conditioners to get a similar  result when I came up with it.   The experiment ended up being  significantly different texture wise but still  quite nice , so I thought I would share it in the TD. 

Interesting technique... I just add bread flour that's been sifted to remove some of the bran. That makes for a denser, chewier crumb, but there's more than one way to hit the mark, eh? :)

Man... there are a lot of great entries here, and as the deadline approaches it seems like the pace is really picking up!

JayT said:
You are speaking a little bit foreign language to me with the conditioner and % hydration Ashen.  I would love to chat with you about it sometime.  Do you own/worked in a pizza shop?  
I have never owned or worked in a pizza place,I've worked in manufacturing most of my life, building fridges, freezers and dehums when I was younger, now electrical transformers. 
I just tend to get  pulled in a bit deep when I am googling things that interest me.  

Dough conditioners are just things that are added to enhance certain characteristics.   The diastatic malt powder that FB added to his deep dish crust is another example.  I want to get some of that eventually  to play around with. 

bacon and RUM!  I'm voting for geeme!!!!

:lol: 

throw in chocolate and carbs (dough)..... only thing missing is black pepper.....

JUST KIDDING, GEEME!!!!

Ingredients for a "Unique" pizza

Basil, Parsley, Pine nuts, Dried Red Bhut Jolokia's, Spanish Chorizo, Shallots, Dough, Goat Cheese, Parmigiano Reggiano, Olive Oil and Cherry Tomatoes.

[

The start to this dish involves making a unique dough. In the addition to a basic AP Flour , 10 dried Bhut Jolokia peppers were flaked up in the magic bullet and added into the mix. Dough was allowed to double and deflated to original size.

The start to a tasty Pesto involves a whirl in the food processor with some Italian Parsley, Basil, Pine Nuts and a drizzle of Olive Oil to smooth things out.

Cherry Tomatoes were sliced and salted to remove excess liquid.

Shallots were cut in half, tossed in Olive Oil with the addition of Thyme and roasted at 400F for 30 minutes....half way through  Balsamic Vinegar was added.

Dough was rolled up into 40g balls. .......only a few of these will be used for this appetizer size snack. The rest will be frozen for future Empaenada usage......... :party: 

Dough balls were rolled out into 5" discs and placed on a calzone screen

Layering of ingredients.......starting with the top left disc....a layer of Pesto.....all the way through to the last disc which has the works..Pesto, Goat Cheese, Tomatoes, Spanish Chorizo, Roasted Shallots and grated Parm.

Baked pizza's..........plating shots tomorrow.........off to the next pies

Whoa!

Layered like a lasagna pizza??

I guess I'll see tomorrow.

Good maters.

The Hot Pepper said:
Whoa!

Layered like a lasagna pizza??

I guess I'll see tomorrow.

Or I guess you are showing the steps of toppings.

Was confused for a sec!

Yet Another Volcano

(unique category)

I've wanted to try this since I first saw Essegi make one. I had a spare dough from the Tuesday rise, so I decided to use it for this one.

Ingredient List

San Marzano tomatoes
fresh garlic
mozzarella
Hot Sopressata
Salt
ADY
honey
water
AP Flour
Whole Wheat Flour
Olive Oil

To make cold-ferment dough:
  1. In a bowl, whisk together 3 cups AP flour, two teaspoons salt, and one teaspoon Active Dry Yeast. Add two teaspoons honey and 1 ½ water to bowl.  Knead dough a bit to mix. Cover bowl with saran wrap and let it for 10 minutes.
  2. Knead the dough a bit more into a ball, and water by the tablespoon until proper consistency is reached.
  3. Divide dough into two pieces and place in gallon bag. Refrigerate for a few days.
  4. When ready, remove dough from bags and divide into two pieces each (total four dough.) Oil four separate bowls, place one dough ball in, and cover with plastic wrap. Let rise for two hours or so.
  5. When ready, roll out dough flat on a floured surface (if that is your desired dough shape.) Top and cook in oven at 425 degrees for twelve minutes.
To make sauce:

1.        Start with a can of some San Marzano tomatoes and some fresh garlic pieces.  Add these to a saucepan, along with a little salt. Cook this down to almost a paste. Let cool for a bit.
2.        Flatten out your dough and make an identical piece for the volcano top.
3.        Top the first piece of dough with some tomato sauce and then torn mozzarella and sliced Sopressata.
4.        Take the second piece of dough and place atop the topping. Fold the extra dough under the edges, and seal everything together as best you can all around.
5.         Bake at 425 degrees for 12 minutes.

Ingredients to a "Deep Dish" pizza

Garlic, Mushrooms, Pepperoni,  Green Pepper, Onion, Barese Italian Sausage, Low Moisture Mozzarella, Provolone, Pecorino, Parmigiano Reggiano, Calabrian Peppers, San Marzano Tomatoes, Olive Olive, Dough, Fennel Powder, Basil, Oregano.

Dough ball gets divided into a 22 oz and 14 oz pieces.

First off, if you ask most Chicagoan's what type of pizza they prefer most that I know would say thin crust or cracker style. Outside of Chicago our city has been labeled the "Deep Dish" capital of the mid west. We do have our popular deep pan popular parlors such as Gino's East, Due, Uno's, and certainly the marketing maverick's of the Lou Malnati's chain.
But there's also another style of deep pan pizza's called the "Stuffed" which became popular in the early 70's...from what I recall was the original stuffed started at "Nancy's"...tthen came the others such as Palermo's , Edwardo's, Superrosa...etc...One of the most popular till this date is called "Giordano's". A bit of nostalgia for the Chicago folks here or any of you that resided here in the mid 70's. The deep dish pan shown above was from the original Giordano's....(which I kept) ......that opened in 1974 on 62nd st. I happened to get a job there in 75 when I was in H.S.....my 1st stint in the kitchen....Most of the pies we made were regular crust, but the "Stuffed" were starting to become popular. The place was kind of a hole in the wall, mostly carry-outs, but did have a few tables for dine-in. They wre also licensed for "byob". At the time drinking age for beer and wine was 19. Wouldn't your know it, while I was making pizza's my 16 yr old H.S friends were dining in with there beer....lol.........sorry for the rant.....I been drinking my beer all afternoon.

Anyways....the pan above was wiped with margarine which has a higher burning temp compared to butter.

Here's the layering process to the stuffed pie. The dough was rolled thin and tucked into the corners. First layer is disc's of Provolone, followed by Italian Sausage Pepperoni, Green Peppers, Onions, Mushrooms and shredded Mozzarella that was sprinkled with dried Basil, Oregano and a pinch of Fennel powder.

After draining, the San Marzano's were run through a coarse grate in the food mill. Crushed Garlic, a pinch of Salt Sugar and Anise powder were also added to the blend.

Here's the difference compared to the typical deep dish...after the cheese there's another layer of dough added......windowpane thickness. The sauce is ladled  over the top and both Parm and Recorino are grated over .......plating shots tomorrow........off to more pies

PIC 1 said:
Here's the difference compared to the typical deep dish...after the cheese there's another layer of dough added......windowpane thickness. The sauce is ladled  over the top and both Parm and Recorino are grated over .......plating shots tomorrow........off to more pies

Whoa nice touch.

Ingredients to a "Dessert" pizza

Zebra Lemon, Vanilla Beans, Almonds, Dried  Dark Superhot Peppers, Banana, Flaked Coconut, Strawberries, Dark Chocolate, Blueberries, Olive Oil, Dough, Grand Marnier, Mascarpone Cheese.

Blueberries, Strawberries and a sliced Banana get macerated in Grand Marnier.

Mascarpone Cheese gets whipped with Convection Sugar. The zest of a Lemon and the scraping of two Vanilla Bean pods were added

This dough was still active and on the move...so after I rolled it out it needed to be docked before being blind baked.

Chocolate was melted, dried peppers were ground and added to the syrup.

plating shots tomorrow.......one more pie to show...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back