• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest BEGIN! Pizza Party Throwdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
FreeportBum said:
well. what do you say we head down to the field folks and meet some of the players  :P

Made two dough's one with no commercial yeast only my sourdough starter, and one with commercial yeast. 
20141207_081356_zps6b74210c.jpg

my own pizza sauce-  ingredients all from my garden Roasted San Marzano tomatoes, Roasted Manzano peppers Roasted garlic, Roasted shallot, fresh oregano/thyme, Kosher salt, Malt vinegar.
A jar of my manzano puree
roasted garlic
in house made chorizo from my butcher
shallots
fresh basil
walkers wood jerk seasoning
san marzano tomatoes
20141207_093829_zpsa490b5fd.jpg

Double smoked bacon 
chipolte rubbed bacon,
Norcino which is a mild salame with sangiovese wine
local lamb loin chops- mini "t-bones"  :P 
20141207_092405_zps9e5a25f4.jpg

fresh parm
smoked provalone
buffalo mozzarella
and the ingredients I will use to make my own homemade mozzarella. -wish you could taste it- that raw grass fed milk comes from a nice farm just a few miles from my house. has the most excellent flavor that comes out in the fresh moz 
20141207_091728_zpsacd19cf5.jpg

probably forgot something- like butter if I do a deep dish....

These photos have a PIC-esque quality ...

Looks great Jay! Later i'll check in detail. Also i dig Grant last comment!

Here an extra that isn't for TD but for TB: Texas Blues category!
After that i can bake thicker pizzas for the TD more lighthearted!
TB, if you want that spicier.... Just use some of my powder/flakes in my first pics!

Here the classic margherita to try dough:
ijTkPdrKXjYnW.jpg

ijGEmjQWfg4ME.jpg

ilSTWwmK7tRBD.jpg

ibuCC6Rnh4XLe9.jpg

Mhmmh... Too elastic and i wasn't able to strecht perfectly. Also i used too much semolina in bottom. This too it was a try since i've never used semolina for that. It's good btw.

Here the true TB pizza: Extra thin with hot anchovies!
i6udsMC4xP7LR.jpg

iD9DmnEg9YUEw.jpg

ipADeehy14q2e.jpg

Forgot to shot the bottom but was better than previous.
That has been strechted really thin, but i had hell time with it, maybe it's too hydrated for that thickness. Now i understand why people say to keep hydro at 59% or lower for that.
Dough btw seems fair, it should be suited better for next pizzas.

I can see it'll be hard to beat Essegi in the classic pizza category... Nice job! :)

Oh well... here are my other entries.

Stickman's Classic-style Sicilian Capricciosa pizza. Dough is the same as the others.

the dough:
1 heaping tablespoon of yeast
1-1/4 cups lukewarm water
1-1/2 cups whole wheat bread flour
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp honey
1/2 tsp salt

added the yeast to the lukewarm water and then the honey. Put flour and salt into a food processor and gave a few pulses to mix. When the yeast mixture was frothy, I added the oil and poured the wet ingredients in a stream through the gate of the food processor while it was running at low speed. When the dough formed a ball that was rolling around on top of the blade of the food processor, I took it out and kneaded it on the counter for 10 minutes. Let the dough rise for an hour, punched down and divided the dough into 4 pieces, formed into balls, sprayed with olive oil and put them onto an oiled plate and covered with cling wrap. Refrigerated overnight until ready to make the pizza, then allowed to set out at room temperature for an hour before shaping the pizza crust. I'll end up with 4 seven inch personal pizzas. Once the dough is formed and the toppings added, bake in a preheated 500 degree oven for 7-8 minutes, or until done to your liking.

Toppings for this pie are homemade tomato sauce, mozzarella cheese, oyster mushrooms, roasted sweet onion, prosciutto, artichokes, eggplant, Castelvetrano olives, and god knows why but it is traditional... Vienna sausage on top of all
SANY0087_zpsd22f3fb4.jpg

Crust came out nice and soft, but chewy... just the way I like it, and liberally dusted with pepperoncino.
SANY0091_zps7f769120.jpg

Essegi said:
I want too to write my PoL:
igdQZPB0stXHA.jpg
Uh this tells us absolutely nothing, it is not pictured with any ingredients or pies, anyone can show a picture by itself... please follow the rules if you would like your entry to count.

And people stop the paper thing, we've been doing this since 2009 with coins or bills and you're starting a trend.

Thanks!!

Jay T's Meatsa Cheesa

I am entering this in the lovers category.  It is both a meatlovers and a cheeselovers though so you better have an appetite.

Pizza Dough:

2 cups OO flour
1.5 cups AP flour
1 tablespoon of yeast
1 cup of 107F water
drizzle olive oil
tsp salt
Tbs honey

Mix the yeast honey and water together and let proof for about ten minutes, meanwhile, mix flours and salt together.  Pour in the water yeast mix and drizzle in olive oil as it mixes.  When it comes together and pulls away from the sides it is done.  add bench flour until not sticky, form a ball and add a tiny bit of olive oil to the outside all over.  Place in large bowl and wrap in plastic wrap.  Let rise an hour or two.  Take out work into a ball again and wrap again with plastic wrap.  Place in fridge overnight to three days.

Sauce:

Two large cans crushed tomatoes, water drained off.  
Half of an onion finely diced
Two tablespoons minced garlic
One scorpion chile finely chopped
One Douglah chile finely chopped
Two tablespoons fresh chopped basil
One tablespoon dried oregano
Tablespoon raw sugar
Teaspoon sea salt

Pizza:

1/2 of dough recipe above
Two eight ounce ladles of sauce
Eight ounces mozzarella sliced
Eight ounces provolone sliced
Three ounces parmesan cheese
1 lb cooked ground sausage
Five slices of hickory smoked bacon chopped 
handful of pepperoni
pickled jalapenos
aji lemon chiles

Pizza was assembled in that order and baked on a stone at 500F for about 10 minutes.

102_0057.JPG

102_0058.JPG

102_0060.JPG

102_0061.JPG

102_0062.JPG

Now excuse me while I go take a NAP!!!

and lastly... Stickman's Kickin' Yardbird Jerk Pizza... I'd call this a Unique pie for some of the ingredients.

the dough:
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 tbsp honey
1/2 tsp salt

added the yeast to the lukewarm water and then the honey. Put flour and salt into a food processor and gave a few pulses to mix. When the yeast mixture was frothy, I added the oil and poured the wet ingredients in a stream through the gate of the food processor while it was running at low speed. When the dough formed a ball that was rolling around on top of the blade of the food processor, I took it out and kneaded it on the counter for 10 minutes. Let the dough rise for an hour, punched down and divided the dough into 4 pieces, formed into balls, sprayed with olive oil and put them onto an oiled plate and covered with cling wrap. Refrigerated overnight until ready to make the pizza, then allowed to set out at room temperature for an hour before shaping the pizza crust. I'll end up with 4 seven inch personal pizzas. Once the dough is formed and the toppings added, bake in a preheated 500 degree oven for 7-8 minutes, or until done to your liking.

The heat in this one is from my Yellow 7 puree in the Jerk rub.

The rub:
1 onion, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup chopped scallions, including the green tops
2 tsp fresh thyme
2 tsp salt
1 tsp ground allspice
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground black pepper
4-6 Scotch Bonnet or Habanero peppers... I substituted 2 tablespoons of my Yellow 7-pot puree.

process to a paste in a food processor and store in the 'fridge in a tightly capped jar for up to 2 months.
SANY0063_zpsd1a611fc.jpg

Once the rub had set overnight in the fridge, I slashed the chicken breast shallowly, worked the rub into the slits and covered the rest... then put in a sealable bag in the 'fridge to marinate.
SANY0085_zpsfe28f095.jpg

This morning I took out the chicken, pounded it between two pieces of cling wrap until it was a half an inch thick, baked in an oiled pan for 350 degrees for 20 minutes and cut up into quarter-inch cubes. I roasted and peeled a red and a yellow bell pepper, and a sweet onion and chopped them into a quarter inch dice.

The sauce for the pie needed to be sweet and fruity, so I mixed a quarter cup of ketchup with a tablespoon of pomegranate molasses, a tablespoon of dry Jerk seasoning and a tablespoon of brown sugar.
SANY0086_zps36cd4abd.jpg

Brushed the mixture onto the formed dough
SANY0090_zpsd5295a4d.jpg

layered on the rest of the toppings... mozzarella, roasted sweet onions, roasted red and yellow bell peppers, jerk chicken and baked.
SANY0093_zpsd2c5f9c7.jpg

Sorry I don't have the best photography skills or equipment, but I wish you could each try these pies. Cheers!

WoW.....

Awesome ingredients and finished pies..

Bacon Jam ..........that's killer !

Buf Motz...............nice !

Essegi's pies.........perfect ......as usual

Good news and Bad news from here.

On the plus side, my youngest son turned 24 today, my mom turns 92 on Tuesday. My wife and I are taking both of them out for a pizza....steak....in celebration.

On the minus.....I only made 4 of 5 pizza's earlier with one more to go........... :P
I'll start posting photos tonight..............looking pretty good...

Wow JayT that looks Crazy Good !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Assegi both those pies look killer but that second one I would do major damage to!!! :)

Y'all deliver!! :)

Happy birthday to your son :) and mom :) Pic 1

oldsalty said:
Wow JayT that looks Crazy Good !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Assegi both those pies look killer but that second one I would do major damage to!!! :)

Y'all deliver!! :)

Thanks, but it needs hot sauce! :lol:

Essegi makes simple look amazing every time.  

Stickman, love the combinations.

stickman said:
and lastly... Stickman's Kickin' Yardbird Jerk Pizza... I'd call this a Unique pie for some of the ingredients.

the dough:
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 tbsp honey
1/2 tsp salt

The heat in this one is from my Yellow 7 puree in the Jerk rub.
SANY0063_zpsd1a611fc.jpg

Once the rub had set overnight in the fridge, I slashed the chicken breast shallowly, worked the rub into the slits and covered the rest... then put in a sealable bag in the 'fridge to marinate.
SANY0085_zpsfe28f095.jpg

This morning I took out the chicken, pounded it between two pieces of cling wrap until it was a half an inch thick, baked in an oiled pan for 350 degrees for 20 minutes and cut up into quarter-inch cubes. I roasted and peeled a red and a yellow bell pepper, and a sweet onion and chopped them into a quarter inch dice.

The sauce for the pie needed to be sweet and fruity, so I mixed a quarter cup of ketchup with a tablespoon of pomegranate molasses, a tablespoon of dry Jerk seasoning and a tablespoon of brown sugar.
SANY0086_zps36cd4abd.jpg

Brushed the mixture onto the formed dough
SANY0090_zpsd5295a4d.jpg

layered on the rest of the toppings... mozzarella, roasted sweet onions, roasted red and yellow bell peppers, jerk chicken and baked.
SANY0093_zpsd2c5f9c7.jpg

Sorry I don't have the best photography skills or equipment, but I wish you could each try these pies. Cheers!
Thanks stickman will be adding this one to my arsenal!!! Jamaican me hungry mon!!

stickman, I don't think you told us what was in that jerk rub? In the food processor? I read it twice.

The (general) ingreds to the dry rub would help too, even if it's commercial. Gotta whet the appetite for votes. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back