• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest BEGIN! Pizza Party Throwdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
[SIZE=13.5pt]Deep Dish Style Pizza[/SIZE]

[SIZE=13.5pt]I'd not done a deep dish style crust before, so I gave it a shot. This one used vine-ripened tomatoes, mozzarella, fresh basil, and fresh garlic-along with a homemade dough that rose three days. Ran in a few problems. First, I had a bit of trouble stretching the dough into my pie plate, which happened to be a cast iron skillet. As a result, I ended up matching some of the holes with some spare dough. This made the dough perhaps a bit too thick in places. And thus, the dough did not seem to get done all the way on the bottom. Second, a problem I was not expecting centered around too much liquid being left after the pizza was done cooking. I was fairly certain I reduced the sauce enough, but perhaps I did not. I might also look at the cheese as a source for this extra liquid. Anyways, was able to cut a piece after I let it cool, and it tasted alright to me. Was an interesting experiment.  [/SIZE]

[SIZE=13.5pt]Ingredient List[/SIZE]

[SIZE=13.5pt]Vine-ripened tomatoes[/SIZE]
[SIZE=13.5pt]fresh garlic[/SIZE]
[SIZE=13.5pt]pearl mozzarella[/SIZE]
[SIZE=13.5pt]fresh basil[/SIZE]
[SIZE=13.5pt]roasted orange habaneros [/SIZE]
[SIZE=13.5pt]Salt [/SIZE]
[SIZE=13.5pt]ADY[/SIZE]
[SIZE=13.5pt]honey[/SIZE]
[SIZE=13.5pt]water[/SIZE]
[SIZE=13.5pt]AP Flour[/SIZE]
[SIZE=13.5pt]Whole Wheat Flour[/SIZE]
[SIZE=13.5pt]Olive Oil[/SIZE]
[SIZE=13.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=13.5pt]To make cold-ferment dough:[/SIZE]
  1. [SIZE=13.5pt]In a bowl, whisk together 3 cups AP flour, two teaspoons salt, and one teaspoon Active Dry Yeast. Add two teaspoons honey and 1 ½ water to bowl.  Knead dough a bit to mix. Cover bowl with saran wrap and let it for 10 minutes.[/SIZE]
  2. [SIZE=13.5pt]Knead the dough a bit more into a ball, and water by the tablespoon until proper consistency is reached. [/SIZE]
  3. [SIZE=13.5pt]Divide dough into two pieces and place in gallon bag. Refrigerate for a few days.[/SIZE]
  4. [SIZE=13.5pt]When ready, remove dough from bags and divide into two pieces each (total four dough.) Oil four separate bowls, place one dough ball in, and cover with plastic wrap. Let rise for two hours or so.[/SIZE]
  5. [SIZE=13.5pt]When ready, roll out dough flat on a floured surface (if that is your desired dough shape.) Top and cook in oven at 425 degrees for twelve minutes. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=13.5pt]To make sauce:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=13.5pt]-1.      Roast some habaneros on the burner. Toss them in the blender for a while. Set aside.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=13.5pt]0.       Start with some fresh tomatoes. Boil some water, and cut and x mark through each tomato. Dip in boiling water for 1 minute, and then transfer to bowl of ice cold water. Peel skin off. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=13.5pt]1.        Generate some fresh garlic pieces.  Add these to a saucepan, along with a little salt, and the tomatoes/roasted habaneros. Cook this down to almost a paste. Let cool for a bit.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=13.5pt]2.        Flatten out your dough into the cast iron pan.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=13.5pt]3.        Top the dough with some mozzarella, then some tomato sauce, and basil. There should have been a thin layer of dough here between the sauce and cheese, but I forgot to add it. So that dough became the volcano pizza I posted earlier. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=13.5pt]4.         Bake at 425 degrees for 12 minutes. Bake longer if necessary. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=13.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=13.5pt][/SIZE]
[SIZE=13.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=13.5pt][/SIZE]
[SIZE=13.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=13.5pt][/SIZE]
[SIZE=13.5pt] [/SIZE]

Ingredients to a "Lover's" pizza

Scallions, Fontina Cheese, Marinated Fresh Mozzarella Cheese with Pepper flakes, Culantro, Jerk Marinated Chicken Thighs, Red 7 Pot Pepper Mash, Yellow 7 Pot Puree, Dough, Pickled Scotch Bonnets.

Boneless Chicken Thighs get a quick sear on the grill.

Red Pepper Mash, Roasted Tomatoes and Culantro prepare to  get a whipping in the Vitamix.

Dough was laminated (rolled out, folded in thirds, roled out again....repeat 4 times) in order to get a flaky cracker crust.....Fiery Red Sauce was ladled on.

Mozzarella was added along with the Jerk Chicken, sliced Yellow Scotch Bonnets, grated Fontina........and

Dollops of Yellow 7 Pot Puree finished out the heat.

Plating shots tomorrow..........along with  one more pie to make......."The Classic"

The Hot Pepper said:
Lovers like to jerk!

:P

:lol: .......There are meat lovers and cheese lovers.......but I'm dedicating that pizza to all the Chileheads here....."Lovers' of the ultra spicy foods...those who like the occasional Endorphin Rush.............members of the Scarred Esophagus Club.......lol....just kiddin

Good call! I was wondering if anyone was going to do a chile lovers pie!!!!!!

Looking at it again WOW ON DA HEAT!!!!!!!!!!!

:fire:

Booma said:
Man o man....... Gee wiz...... God damn......holy moly..... Yeah..... Unreal pizzas so far
Uuumm, yea..... pretty much what ^^^^^ Said x 10!!!!!!!!!

WOW!

Ashen's 180 second Bianco      

unique, dough and cooking method

Pizza Dough

I like to start dough 5 to 6 days ahead of time and place in the fridge for a slow ferment to build flavour. 

all purpose flour 800 gr
stone ground corn meal 150 gr
ultrasperse ( modified starch)50 gr
ascorbic acid (vitamin C) 500 mg tablet ( small pinch if powdered)
traditional yeast 2 gr
Water 750 gr room temp 
sea salt 25 gr 
60 gr extra virg olive oil 

Start with an autolyse , mix  750 gr of the  ap flour and the 750 gr of water in stand mixer bowl.  Let sit covered with plastic wrap for 35 to 40 mins.  Autolyse is a fancy word but basically it is just a way to build large amounts of gluten .  the water causes the flour protein to rip apart and form the gluten instead of  just with kneading. This will give you a stretchy dough that you can get thin without ripping even with AP flour

Add  remaining flour , corn meal , ascorbic acid , yeast, ultrasperse, sea salt and mix on med with flat paddle blade for 10  mins. Stop now and then to scrap down sides.   The high hydration makes this more of a batter than dough at this point. Add the extra virg olive oil  and mix for anther 5 mins.  

pour some olive oil into a large zipper bag  and make sure the inside is oiled up, then put the dough into the bag, Zip and leave in fridge for 5 to 6 days.  You will have to keep and eye on it once or twice a day to keep it from bursting out of the bag. squeeze it to release the CO2  burp it out and reseal.

this will make 4 large pie skins using regular pizza stone

For this pie I used 100 gr of dough

toppings.  

bianco pie  so no sauce

shredded mozzarella approx 50 gr 
tomato 2 cocktail sliced 
avocado oil
dried marjoram pinch
fresh ground black pepper approx 4 grinds 
dried chiles 2 thai , 1 cayenne ground into flakes with some coarse sea salt. (not pictured)

method

Cast iron comal  preheat in a 500 F oven for 20 mins

form pizza skin
slice tomato and drizzle with oil, sprinkle with marjoram , black pepper , sea salt  while on cutting board
take out comal , switch oven to grill/broil 
put approx 1/8 of an inch of oil on the hot comal 
place skin on the hot comal
top with the seasoned  tomato
sprinkle with the cheese 
sprinkle with chile flakes 

Back into the oven under the broiler for 3 mins. 

The crust ends up with  flaky almost  fry bread texture. 

ingredientspizza_zps9f1e009b.jpg

pizzacomal_zpsc7b3118d.jpg

180pizza_zps18f9941e.jpg

bottomdweller_zps48afb6be.jpg

edgewalker_zpsd0c7ce25.jpg

ok last of my ingredients I promise. and a couple last minute teasers. 

graham crackers,marshmellows,hershey's chocolate bar, and some of my devils dust(pepper powder) made from yellow 7 pods,caramel moruga,bahamian goat,bubble gum 7 pods and brown unknown brain strain- hope Pic1 reads this part as he's the one who sent me the seeds for the brown ubsc which is the hottest sob I had in the garden this year  :P
20141208_083222_zps1244dba4.jpg

jerked lamb getting happy on the grill
20141208_090846_zps2e1064a2.jpg

20141208_091348_zps81ab2be5.jpg

Here is my manzano puree that I made using Alabama Jack's recipe- amazingly good
20141208_102234_zpsbaa493f8.jpg

and here are the exact peppers I made the above puree from. for those that have tried these you know, for those that haven't you need to  :P
IMG_2601_zps4e05333b.jpg

need a bump please for more pie action 

Well ... Here we go. Miss some things to buy later. Today in my home pizza party at night !! For it will come to dinner some friends.

In a moment I will put the dough to work.

My ingredients (not all)

P1070699.JPG

The flour is very special from a organic flour mills. 100% natural made with the best wheats ofthe country
Creole salami, thick pepperoni and spice smoked sausages from Tandil - Buenos Aires..
Tandil is a locality of the state where the best pork sausages are made. They are Spanish and Italian colonies which retain a great tradition in the manufacture of all kinds salami.

Next pic are ingredients for the sauce... Fresh herbs and garlic from my garden. Spice powder is a Jig Saw and canned tomatoes (sorry still not mature tomatoes from my culture, It would have been better from fresh tomatoes)

P1070706.JPG

S'mores dessert pizza 

Category: Dessert

Dough Ingredients: 
300 grams 00 flour
150+ grams AP flour
200 grams Bread flour
1 tbl evo
kosher salt
1 tsp diastatic malt powder
420 grams warm water
1 package of yeast

Dough: Place warm water,yeast, diastatic malt powder into a bowl mix and let sit 5 minutes, add salt,flour and evo. form into a ball, divide into individual portions and place into a oiled ziplock bags. then place directly into the refrigerator for 12-48 hours.  take dough out 1-2 hours before using

Toppings: Hershey's chocolate bars, marshmellows, graham crackers, butter, devils dust

Assembly: turn out your dough. I crushed the graham crackers and mixed them with some melted butter and a tiny pinch of devils dust. put down a layer of graham cracker mix, then marshmellows and chocolate bars. when it comes out of the oven I shaved some more chocolate over the top

Cooking: Baked @ 425F for around 8 minutes.  now I know this looks like a turd on a plate but surprisingly it was good. and it looks way better then the Pb+j pizza did  :P  :beer:  :beer: 
20141208_094911_zpsf7f659aa.jpg

20141208_100215_zps252aea86.jpg

20141208_100432_zpse63844d1.jpg

20141208_100420_zpscb844f7c.jpg

Rustic Bufala

Category: Classic/rustic

Dough Ingredients: 
300 grams 00 flour
150+ grams AP flour
200 grams Bread flour
1 tbl evo
kosher salt
1 tsp diastatic malt powder
420 grams warm water
1 package of yeast

Dough: Place warm water,yeast, diastatic malt powder into a bowl mix and let sit 5 minutes, add salt,flour and evo. form into a ball, divide into individual portions and place into a oiled ziplock bags. then place directly into the refrigerator for 12-48 hours.  take dough out 1-2 hours before using

Cheese: Buffalo Mozzarella

Toppings: roasted garlic, double smoked bacon, sauteed shallots,  fresh basil 

Pizza Sauce: Roasted San Marzano tomatoes,roasted Manzano peppers,roasted garlic, kosher salt, roasted shallot,fresh thyme/oregano,malt vinegar

Assembly: Turned out my dough and smeared with roasted garlic. added sauce,cheese,bacon,shallots. Hit with fresh basil after it came out. Shallots were sauteed in the bacon fat.

Cooking: baked @ 500F for 4 minutes- turn another 3-4 minutes
20141208_103041_zps2a29e782.jpg

20141208_102952_zps1ef758c5.jpg

20141208_103506_zps9bbc3aaf.jpg

Need another bump please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back