• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest BEGIN! Super Bowl Throwdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can 1) Turn your firewall off and see if that works, then, you need to remove the offending website from the firewall (which you can see from right clicking an image in question). Or 2) Clear your browser cache and temp files.

Let's do this already

Attachments

• 20170206_141846_001.jpg
    20170206_141846_001.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 82
Boss, how long do I have to edit a post?  Photobucket isn't working so I may need to change my pictures later.  Wondering how long I'll have.

The Northwest's Best
Seattle Seahawks

Where to even begin with iconic Northwest foods?  From hops, wines, apples, garlic and onions on the inland side of the Cascades, to seafood, dairies, berries, nuts, beer and coffee on the coast, the Northwest boasts some of the best tasting and sometimes most unique foods in the world.  There are also iconic food businesses like Starbuck's, Pike Place Market, Brown & Haley's, Tim's Chips, Tillamook, Johnny's and Dick's Drive-In.

As I was working on this TD, I was struck by how many of the ingredients I have a personal connection to-
growing and picking strawberries and blackberries
homemade ice cream
growing and also gleaning potatoes
steelhead fishing on the Skagit River
crab fishing in the Puget Sound
sitting on the edge of the driveway cracking filberts with rocks
Taking Evan to Dick's Drive-In just so we could say we've "been there"
-and so many more memories. 

Here's my Best of the Northwest Superbowl Spread!  Enjoy!  We certainly did!

Most of the ingredients
IMG_5852.JPG

IMG_5853.JPG

Appetizers-
Baked Dungeness Crab Dip with Ritz crackers
Lump Dungeness crab with melted Butter
Smoked Steelhead dip on toasted baguette crostini with pickled peppers
IMG_5894.JPG

IMG_5899.JPG

Baked Crab Dip-
1# Dungeness crab meat
3/4c mayo
1/2c Mexi-blend cheese
1/2 c Tillamook Sharp Cheddar shredded
1/4c green onion, thin sliced
5 cloves garlic-cooked *
3T Worcestershire sauce
2T balsamic vinegar
1/2t dry Pepper Blend (Sethsquatch)
1/2t dry mustard
-Tim's Cascade Chips (or other Kettle-type chips)
Gently fold everything except the chips together and spread out in a shallow baking dish.  Run 2 handfuls of chips in the food processor to a crumble consistency.  Sprinkle chip crumbles on top of the crab mix.  Bake at 300F until melty and bubbly.  Serve with crackers.

*for this dip, I knew it wouldn't be in the oven long enough for the garlic to actually cook, so I pre-cooked it by putting the cloves in a small dish with a couple drops of water and cover tightly with cling wrap.  Microwave in 10 second increments for 30-40 seconds, shaking the bowl in-between nukes to move the cloves around so they don't burn.  Chop/mash.

Smoked Steelhead
Brine-
1quart warm water
1/2c salt
1c brown sugar
1 1/2T garlic powder
1T onion powder
1/4c molasses
1/4t cayenne powder

Dissolve everything in the warm water and allow to cool a bit.  Pour into a shallow glass or plastic pan.  Rinse the fish fillets under cold water, cut a few slices through the flesh but not through the skin, place skin side up in the brine, cover and refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.

Remove fish, discard brine.  Rinse well under cold water and place on a rack to dry for a few hours.  This gets that pellicle or "skin" forming.  Using a fan helps speed up the process.  Smoke on low heat using a mild wood like alder, apple or cherry.

Smoked Steelhead Dip-
8oz cream cheese, room temp
1T onion
1T carrots and a bit of cauliflower from the Pickled Pepper Medley
1c Smoked Steelhead
Toasted Baguette slices
Pickled Peppers
More smoked steelhead pieces
minced green onion- just the green part

Blitz the carrots and onion in a food processor with a bit of milk until minced.  Add cream cheese, pulse until softened and blended.  Add steelhead and pulse just to mix it up.

Cut baguette on the bias into 1/4" slices, brush with olive oil, spread out on a baking sheet and toast on 300F until lightly crispy on the edges.
Spread some dip on a slice, top with a couple pickled pepper slices, a couple more bits of smoked fish and a sprinkle of green onions.

Tribute To Dick's-  Iconic Seattle Drive-In! 
Dick's serves burgers, fries, shakes and ice cream, that's it!.  Here's my Northwest Slider, fresh cut fries and homemade old fashioned milkshake.
IMG_5896.JPG

IMG_5912 - Copy.JPG

Homemade Strawberry syrup for Strawberry Milkshakes
Simmer 3 cups chopped strawberries with 2 cups sugar until thick, refrigerate.

Use a blender or boat motor to mix 2 cups Tillamook vanilla ice cream, 3/4c milk, and 1/2c strawberry syrup.  When it's all blended up, add another 1/4c strawberry syrup and just barely mix it so there are still big strawberry chunks.  Freezer until ready to serve in a shake glass with whipped cream and a cherry.

Texas Creek Spicy Cole Slaw Dressing-for the slaw and the sliders
1 3/4c mayo
1/2c catsup
1T GhostFire hot sauce
1T balsamic vinegar
2t spice mix (below)
1t Worcestershire
Whisk together and refrigerate-

3 cups shredded cabbage, carrot and onion.  Can do ahead but don't add the dressing until ready to use.  Use about half the dressing for the slaw, save the rest for the burgers.

Texas Creek Spice Mix-
2 1/2T paprika
2T each- salt, garlic powder
1T each- black pepper, onion powder, cayenne, oregano, basil

Burger Mix-
1 T capers
1T juice from pickled peppers
1tsp jalapeno seasoning salt
1T minced dried onions
1t black pepper
smoosh all this together with a fork to break up the capers, gently mix in-
2# local ground beef

Sliced Cheddar
Sautéed onions
Cabbage slaw
dressing 

Form into rectangular slider patties the size to fit on a Hawaiian dinner roll.
Fry in a cast iron pan or other flat-top type pan.
Top with Tillamook cheddar, grilled onions, and bacon

Smear a warmed slider bun with the slaw dressing, add a tong-ful of spicy cabbage slaw, a tomato slice and the Burger-Bacon-Cheese-Onion patty.

Serve with home cooked Russet Potato Fries sprinkled with Johnny's Season Salt, milkshake and/or a local beer.
View attachment 46039

Dessert-
Blackberry Tarts with Hazelnut Crust
​Served with CabSauv wine, aero-pressed coffee in a classic Methow To-Go cup and baby Sasquatch turds. 
IMG_5923.JPG

Tart Crusts-both the crust and the filling can be made ahead
Food Processor 1 c roasted hazelnuts (also called filberts) until finely ground.  Add-
2c AP flour
1/2c sugar
12T cold butter

Pulse until it's a fine crumble.
Pulse in 2-3T ice cold water, just enough so the crust holds together when pressed.
Press the crust crumbles into tart tins, bake at 300F 20-30 minutes until lightly toasted.  Set aside.

Blackberry tart filling-
Simmer until thickened, pulse with boat motor, set aside or refrigerate for later.
3c blackberries
2c sugar
2T corn starch
1/4t nutmeg
1/2t cinnamon
1/8t dried ground ginger
pinch ground coriander

Fill the baked tart shells with filling, bake at 300F for 20minutes or so to gently warm everything.

Serve with whipped cream and candied peppers

IMG_5900.JPG

IMG_5915 - Copy.JPG

IMG_5926.JPG

Overtime Bonus Pic-
IMG_5914.JPG

Local and regional ingredients-
crab, steelhead, beef, chips, butter, ice cream, cheese, baguette, hot sauce, pickled peppers, onion, potato, beef, bacon, slider rolls, strawberries, blackberries, candied jalapenos, hazelnuts, spice mixes, seasoning salts, coffee, beer, wine.

Photobucket is having fits not letting me get the page right now. Hopefully they'll get it working before 11:59 pm est.

Ozzy2001 said:
Boss, how long do I have to edit a post?  Photobucket isn't working so I may need to change my pictures later.  Wondering how long I'll have.
I'm having the same problems. Glad I am not alone. May have to try a different site.

Kansas City BBQ Bowl

Nothing like BBQ and football.  I had been wanting to do a brisket for awhile now, so when I saw Kansas City on the list I had to grab it.  The birthplace of "Burnt Ends".  I wanted to have some BBQ'd chicken though too so I decided to some lollipops to scratch my itch.  Then for sides I made some smoked bacon gouda mac n' cheese and some home made cole slaw.

So lets start with the beef!

I started by trimming up this monster of a whole packer brisket.  I separated the point and flat in order to cook it a little quicker and to have more bark on both pieces.  After trimming it up I dry brined it over night (just salt it liberally with Kosher salt and stick it in the fridge overnight).  In the morning I got the smoker going and got the meat a little wet by running water on my hands and wiping the water on the meat.  After that apply your rub and put the meat in the smoker once it's up to temperature.  I used mesquite wood to smoke and had to reload the smoker with a little more charcoal to make sure it wouldn't dip below 225F.  I was cook these to an internal temperature of 203F in about 8 hrs due to separating the point and flat. 

While the meat was smoking I made some traditional KC BBQ sauce.  Ingredients: 2 TBS vege oil, 6 cloves of garlic, 2 tbs tomato paste, 1 heaping tbs of chili powder, 1 tbs paprika, 2 tsp of my smoked aji pepper flakes, 1/4 tsp allspice, pinch of ground cloves, 2 cups ketchup, 2 cups water, 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar, 1/4 cup dark molasses, 1/4 cup brown sugar, 1 tsp salt, 1tbs soy sauce, 1 tbs Worcestershire sauce, 2 tsp ground mustard, 1 tsp black pepper, 1 bay leaf.

Heat the oil on med heat then add in the garlic tomato paste, chilipowder, paprika, pepper flakes, allspice, and clove and stir that all up and cook it until it gets dark red.  Its pretty dark when you start, so wait until you can smell all the aromatics coming from the saucepan.  

After that add the rest of the ingredients and simmer for about 30 minutes.  Let it cool and pull the bay leaf out once your ready to use it.

Now for the cole slaw.  Nothing beats fresh cole slaw.  Ingredients: 1 head red cabbage, 1 head green cabbage, 2 tbs brown sugar, 2 tbs minced parsley, 2 carrots shredded, salt and pepper to taste, 3 tbs mayonnaise, 1 golf ball sized shallot, 1 tbs apple cider vinegar, 1 tsp spicy brown mustard, 1 poblano pepper, 1 cup buttermilk.

Shred up both heads of cabbage and sprinkle some kosher salt on all of it to help dry it out.  After 45mins - hour take paper towels and pat it down to get any additional moisture.  It a mixing bowl mix together the buttermilk, mayonnaise, brown sugar, shallot, parsley, vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper.  Pour the dressing over the cabbage and mix in the carrots and poblano pepper.  Chill and then serve.  

Smoked gouda mac n' cheese.  Ingredients: 1 lb elbow macaroni, 2 tbs unsalted butter, 2 tbs flour, 2 1/2 cups milk, 1/4 tsp pepper, 1/4 lb smoked bacon gouda cheese (grated)

To start cook the noodles, drain them, and set aside.  Then melt the butter in a small saucepan and add the flour.  Stir this for about 2 minutes to make sure its mixed well then start adding the milk slowly stirring the whole time.  Add the salt and pepper and continue to stir until the sauces thickens up enough to coat the back of a spoon.   This usually takes about 10 minutes.  Remove the sauce and stir the cheese in a little at a time until its all melted.  Once it is all melted pour the sauce onto the macaroni in your baking dish.  Cook at 375 for about 30 minutes.  I like to sprinkle a little bit of cheddar cheese on top to add some sharpness  with about 5 minutes left.

For the lollipop chicken the biggest pain is the knife work.  I'm not a master in cutlery but I just take my knife and go around the base.  Then push the chicken down and tuck the skin and chicken into a ball.  You will have to trim away some of the small ligaments and bones.  Once you do that you can push the knee ligaments and cartilage down and pop it off.  If you really want to get fancy you cover the ends with foil to keep them white.  I'm not that fancy ;).  I smoked these at 350F with cherry wood and basted them a few times with the BBQ sauce.  Make sure to do the basting near the end so you don't burn the sauce.  Make sure to cook them over the flame for awhile too so your skin isn't rubbery.  

Burnt end time! :party:   Once the brisket was done I wrapped the point and flat in foil and put them in our warming drawer in the oven to keep the temp up and let them rest.  Once everything else is done I pulled the point out and sliced it up into 1" to 1.5" chunks.

Now pour your sauce on them and get them pretty wet.  You don't want them swimming in it, but there should be a lot of sauce in there, like this.

As you can see, put them right over the coals and be sure to shake them around so they get coated.  Keep take some tongs if you need to make sure the sauce gets all over them and coats them thoroughly.  Keep cooking them until the sauce is glazed on them and the liquid has reduced and is stuck to the burnt ends.

*Bonus Pic*

I love eating brisket and burnt ends but it is sooooo filling.  Especially, after you eat a pile of mac, cole slaw and a chicken leg.  I sat in my recliner in a catatonic state after stuffing all that food down my gullet.  Definitely, give the burn ends a try sometime.  You can also sprinkle a little more rub on the chunks and/or put the chunks in a skillet with a little bit of bacon grease, but I wanted to keep them fairly traditional so I just sliced them up and sauced them.  Thanks for reading and enjoy!

Good tip. And you can access the full site from the footer on a phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back