beer Being Crafty

0440ffe30d4b891c99e9b47bf9250919.jpg

Ozzy2001 said:
Every time I see these beers I just can understand how you can get marshmallow "flavor"

Burnt sugar, not like a raw mm. Supposed to be like campfire s'mores where the mm gets toasty.

Ozzy2001 said:
Grahm cracker is hard to capture too

You're being very literal. Think "BBQ Potato Chips." They use the spice used in BBQ, they don't taste like pulled pork.

Ozzy2001 said:
Not bad but not great either. Every time I see these beers I just can understand how you can get marshmallow "flavor". The texture is what says marshmallow. Grahm cracker is hard to capture too.

I've come to realize when people say graham cracker, they are describing the M's ... like pie crust ... like toast ... hot & very dry ...

Based only on comparison of commercial beer to clone recipes, I came to the conclusion that you get graham cracker for picking the right secondary malt (the munick, oats, wheat) type slot ... and that you can kind of get those qualities by having a really long boil, or side-chaining a small portion of the wort for kettle browning to make M's ...

Just can't skip the dry part, or it doesn't work ...

Why do I think I know? ... the reverse ... all of the beers that employ that are dry, for some reason.

They are always things that sounds like I would love them ... sweet potato pie beers, smore's beers, toasted this or that beers etc ...

Every time I would buy one it wasn't the thick mouthfeel I'd love to have with those flavors ...

It made me think to myself, part of the parlour trick of making that cracker/graham flavor must partially come from having the dry mouthfeel ...

And I guess I can think of that smell you get in your house when making a crust ...

I don't like that smell in the house ... and I don't ever like those dessert-themed beers, ever ... quite unfortunately - too - because nobody likes M's more ...

The Hot Pepper said:

Burnt sugar, not like a raw mm. Supposed to be like campfire s'mores where the mm gets toasty.

You're being very literal. Think "BBQ Potato Chips." They use the spice used in BBQ, they don't taste like pulled pork.
I hear what your saying, but I just haven't had one yet that makes me think yeah this is a s'more.

Ozzy2001 said:
I hear what your saying, but I just haven't had one yet that makes me think yeah this is a s'more.

That's my point. It's beer. I would't expect a blueberry pie beer to taste like blueberry pie, but maybe a blueberry porter with cinnamon and M's as Grant says. You're being too literal imo.

It's marketing bro. They are using desserts to describe flavors, not saying that the beer tastes exactly like the dessert.

Yeah. It's about acceptance that the state of the art lags behind expectation in most cases ...

A lot of the biggest places get extracts made custom for their flavor use ...

You can work with those flavored extract companies on building something custom, and they already have a lot of domain knowledge on how their products take to liquids ...

Each flavor there's a different company who makes the standout example though ...

OliveNation, Frontier Co-op, Nielsen-Massey, Amoretti, Star Kay, Faeries Finest, Watkins, LorAnn ...

You need to know which one to use for each flavor ... that's the hard part.

At the end of the day, though, for me - I don't like any of them as much as the subtle au-naturale version - which is why mine have sat on the shelf thus far, even though I DID do that research on which one from each company worked well in beer ...

Fuck those extracts ... and fuck those dessert-themed training wheels brown ales like Funky Buddha's line too ..

I like the beers where you taste the flavors that don't really exist, like in wine tasting. Chocolate, coffee, grapefruit, roasted nuts... you can achieve all of this w/o "flavoring". Though I take that back on some coffee beers. ;)

Flavors, too commercial and novelty. Like Doritos tacos.

The Hot Pepper said:

That's my point. It's beer. I would't expect a blueberry pie beer to taste like blueberry pie, but maybe a blueberry porter with cinnamon and M's as Grant says. You're being too literal imo.

It's marketing bro. They are using desserts to describe flavors, not saying that the beer tastes exactly like the dessert.
Believe me I understand the marketing on these beers. I'm just saying this one is a stretch.
Young's Banana Bread beer....taste like banana bread. A lot of pumpkin beers.....taste like pumpkin pie. There are a lot of beers that actually taste like what they're marketed as.
It may just be this beer was a terrible example. I'm not saying I should think I just ate a s'more. But I should at least taste some resemblance of the thing it's marketed as.

Ozzy2001 said:
Pepper jelly?
I'm having a Death By Coconut right now. So damn good.

Pepper jelly juice would work ... but the pectinized part would not work as much ...

There's only like 45 psi in the NB kettle, whereas there's like 660-700 psi in a whipping siphon after discharging a nitrogen charger (I think, if I recall) ...

As for those, Luxardo's ... they are the only game in town on getting that flavor from cherries ...

There are alternative cocktail cherries, but they aren't replacements ... ever.

Just bought 12 today,crazy good beer from OB
Wonder how this one would barrel . . . . . ?
Yeah they could run something worthy no doubt,they are some of the bigger dogs ,"Off The Porch" currently

Ozzy2001 said:
Pepper jelly?
I'm having a Death By Coconut right now. So damn good.

Back