• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Biggest Pepper Tree/Bush?

What is the biggest pepper plant you have come across? This sunday I made another discovery in a lime grove in my family's plantation. In between the lime trees there was the biggest pepper plant I have ever seen. That thing was taller than I am (1.78 meters) and had hundreds of the little chiles. I have no idea what kind of peppers they are. When mature they are orange and mildly hot (serrano hot). They are bursting with seeds and are very thin walled.

My son and I next to the chile tree
15062008160.jpg

Close up of the chiles
15062008161.jpg

Another close up
15062008162.jpg

beats me...but the shape of the peppers kinda resemble a limon of some sort

by the way Andres...thats a great lookin boy you got in your arms...

That is cool! I would have guessed tobasco, but I believe tabascos pack a little more punch.

They look a little like a vietnamese pepper that I grow, but those plants are typically very sqatty and wide. Maybe in between giant lime trees it would grow up rather than out. Mine ripen to orange.

You must have a fantastic growing season and mild winters.

Yup... no complaints from me on that department. Actually wo don't have what you would call winter. Guatemala is known as the country of the everlasting spring.

As to the chile plant, according to the caretaker it's been there for about 8 years. There was an even bigger bush but someone drove a truck int it and it died

Awww... look at that cute little kid! he's so adorable!
Anyway, that chile looks really old and cool. without the pictures, my guess would have been so sort of wild bird pepper.

Potawie, the diente de perro chiles are a lot thinner, but now that you mention it the taste is very similar. It could be a supersized diente de perro.

Not sure what type that one is, it's a biggin though!

The tallest pepper plant on record is a 12 foot tall Piquin plant that was grown in California. I attempted to brek this record and was on track to do it but I had to move out of my place before I could At the time of my depatrue it was 10 feet tall...here's an earlier pic of it and me:

tepinplant.jpg

POTAWIE said:
I've heard of pepper plants getting to 16ft.
"Laura Liang of Irvine, California, grew a pepper plant, which when two years old in the spring of 1999, reached a height of 4.87 m (16 ft). Laura bought the plant from a neighbour"
http://chilliplants.co.uk/index.php?pr=Chilli_World_Records

wow thats one big pepper,andres the country of ever lasting spring guatemala it sounds lovely,sounds perfect for peppers and your country is famous for all your Pubescens variety's,andres do you grow any Pubescens?:)

Not much of a pubescens fan talas. Indeed you can find pubescens in every market you go to but I never have tried to grow them since they are so easy to get. Same happens with jalapeƱos and chiltepe

Looks like a happy little kid in need of a serious poking of the belly.

Interesting that the pepper has characteristics of the surrounding plants. Is that typical of peppers?

fineexampl said:
That's how i check. I guess you could stick a form in em, but they usually cry.
That's the old way of doing it. Although, you do want to stick em with a fork a few times if you are about to microwave them though..... just so they dont' explode.

imaguitargod said:
That's the old way of doing it. Although, you do want to stick em with a fork a few times if you are about to microwave them though..... just so they dont' explode.
Sometimes i wrap them in a wet paper towel so they kind of steam a bit.

wait...are we talking kids or potatoes?:shocked:

roflmao @ Andres.....don't worry my friend, I am wondering what they are discussing too...

Back