• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Bodeen's 2013 Grow _-_ Love at First Sting

Not actually starting this yet. Just trying to get my thoughts together on what and how many I will be planting of everything. There is the possibility that there will be no cows here next year and the pastures will be made into corn fields. This would mean the barn lot will be free and empty. It grows some of the best grass on the farm and the barn does have a well and a pump already there. Could it be garden number 3??? Also contemplating enlarging the back garden again.

Seed list so far

Hot Peppers

7 Pod Yellow: One Plant
7 Pod: One Plant
7 Pod Brain Strain: Three Plants
7 Pod Burgandy: Three Plants
7 Pod Chaguanas: One plant
Aji Amarillo: One Plant
Aji Chinchi Amarillo: One Plant
Assam: Three plants
Bhut Jolokia: Three Plants
Bhut Jolokia, Brown: Three Plants.
Bhut Jolokia, Chocolate: Three Plants
Bhut Jolokia, Peach: Three Plants.
Bhut Jokolia, Yellow: Three plants
Big Bomb Hybrid: Three plants
Biggie Chile Hybrid: One plant

Black Hungarian: One Plant
Budapest Hybrid: Three Plants
Cayenne (Thick): One Plant

Cayenne (Chocolate): Six Plants, with one over winter
Cayenne (Orange): One Plant
Chapeu Du Frade (Bishop's Hat): One Plant.
Chenzo Hybrid: One Plant
Cherry Bomb Hybrid: Three Plants

Czechoslovakian Black: One Plant
Fatalii: Three Plant
Fatalii, Red: One Plant
Fatalii x Savina: Three Plants
Fish: One plant.
Fresno: One Plant
Habanero Chocolate: Three plants
Habanero Orange: One plant
Habanero Peach: One Plant
Habanero Red: One plant
Habanero White: One plant

Habanero Yellow: One Plant
Hawaiian Sweet Hot: One Plant
Jalapeno, Biker Billy: One plant
Jalapeno, Goliath: One plant
Jalapeno, Purple: One plant

Jamaican Yellow: One plant
Lemon Drop: One plant.
Paper Lantern: One plant.

Peter Pepper (Orange): One Plant
Rain Forest: One Plant
Red Savina: One plant
Sante Fe Grande: Three plants.
Serrano Tamp: Two to three plants.

Thai Giant: One Plant
Tobago: One plant
Trinidad Scorpion Butch T: One plant

Trinidad Scorpion Green: Three Plants
Trinidad Moruga: Three plants
Trinidad Red Douglah: Three plants
Trinidad Douglah Chocolate: Three plants
Trinidad Scorpion Yellow: One Plant
White Scorpion Tongue: One Plant
Yellow Thai: One plant

Sweet Peppers

Jimmy Nardello: Six plants
Douce D`Espagne: Six plants
Lipstick: Two plants
Sweet Goliath: Three plants
Atris Hybrid: Three plants

Gypsy Hybrid: Three plants
La Rouge Royale: Three plants
Golden Treasure: Three plants

Mini Bell Red: Two Plants

I have got to get a different lighting system next year. More that I need the entire room rigged ahead of time. Adding a light to the earliest pot ups this morning and the other light fell and took the tops off a big bomb and a cherry bomb. Also put a serious bend in a Jamaican Yellow. The good news is they have a month before plant out and they don't take forever to bear.

Come on Mother Nature, these peppers need planted in the garden!!!

No pictures this weekend. I start vacation tomorrow and I am hitting Lake Erie for three days chasing some pig walleyes. Hope the weather cooperates.

Fishing the Tippecanoe River I think is out of the question this week.

ResizedImage_1365973374136-1.jpg

Got the fence put up for the pickles. Was thinking about going with new, but after pricing it, I changed my mind. That is the good thing about living on a farm, I have old fencing that I use for a lot of things. Makes good tomato cages too.

It isn't the prettiest thing, but it will get the job done. Still got to wrap the one end post.

picklefence.jpg

Like the fishing trip BD, but not the high water Nice looking Walleye... how do you usually prepare them? It looks like you're just about ready to plant... when are you going to put them in the ground?

Nice garden and look at all that fine firewood. You have a beautiful property.. Is that flooding in the midwest near you? Have you suffered any loss/damage?

Nice garden and look at all that fine firewood. You have a beautiful property.. Is that flooding in the midwest near you? Have you suffered any loss/damage?

Thank you. That is the firewood that wouldn't fit in the garage by the house. Had storms blow through a few years ago and my cousin lost a lot of trees and that put me way ahead of the game on firewood and I just keep on finding dead trees to cut, Got more to cut this year too. Flooding is to the east and south of me. The two local rivers are over their banks in spots, but not near me. No loss or damage here.

Like the fishing trip BD, but not the high water Nice looking Walleye... how do you usually prepare them? It looks like you're just about ready to plant... when are you going to put them in the ground?

My favorite way to prepare them is to flour the fillets, then dip in milk, then in breadcrumbs that have some kind of hot pepper powder in it.

I am looking at in the ground for the peppers around May 15th. Might be May 20th as I have a walleye tournament that weekend. All going to depend on this nutty weather. I guess I should have taken this picture after I tilled again. Love the looks of a fresh tilled garden.

My big bomb I broke off is leafing out like made. The cherry bomb not so much. Over all I still have 5 bomb plants so I should be good for my salad peppers.

Started hardening off the tomatoes and will probably start the peppers next week.

This is the most nerve racking time...this and watching them get sun burnt once they get planted.

Deep breaths

Some of them get beat up no matter how well you harden them...but usually just causes a temporary ugly followed by a bunch of crazy awesome growth! Looking forward to the plant out pics!

I'm totally not into hardening off. I have had a few get burn and bleached already. But the majority have done ok. The affected ones are still reaching for the sky like the others though, so not too much of a problem.
Definitely the only drawback to starting inside.
Hope you get them in the ground soon!

Did some watering and light raising today and just had to snap a couple pics.

Black Hungarian. Pic doesn't do this plant justice. It is just plain gorgeous. Thanks Bonnie!!!

05-01-2013_01.jpg

One of my Chocolate Cayennes

05-01-2013_02.jpg

And the top of the Chaguanas pepper. Much better in person.

05-01-2013_03.jpg

Back