• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Bodeen's 2013 Grow _-_ Love at First Sting

Not actually starting this yet. Just trying to get my thoughts together on what and how many I will be planting of everything. There is the possibility that there will be no cows here next year and the pastures will be made into corn fields. This would mean the barn lot will be free and empty. It grows some of the best grass on the farm and the barn does have a well and a pump already there. Could it be garden number 3??? Also contemplating enlarging the back garden again.

Seed list so far

Hot Peppers

7 Pod Yellow: One Plant
7 Pod: One Plant
7 Pod Brain Strain: Three Plants
7 Pod Burgandy: Three Plants
7 Pod Chaguanas: One plant
Aji Amarillo: One Plant
Aji Chinchi Amarillo: One Plant
Assam: Three plants
Bhut Jolokia: Three Plants
Bhut Jolokia, Brown: Three Plants.
Bhut Jolokia, Chocolate: Three Plants
Bhut Jolokia, Peach: Three Plants.
Bhut Jokolia, Yellow: Three plants
Big Bomb Hybrid: Three plants
Biggie Chile Hybrid: One plant

Black Hungarian: One Plant
Budapest Hybrid: Three Plants
Cayenne (Thick): One Plant

Cayenne (Chocolate): Six Plants, with one over winter
Cayenne (Orange): One Plant
Chapeu Du Frade (Bishop's Hat): One Plant.
Chenzo Hybrid: One Plant
Cherry Bomb Hybrid: Three Plants

Czechoslovakian Black: One Plant
Fatalii: Three Plant
Fatalii, Red: One Plant
Fatalii x Savina: Three Plants
Fish: One plant.
Fresno: One Plant
Habanero Chocolate: Three plants
Habanero Orange: One plant
Habanero Peach: One Plant
Habanero Red: One plant
Habanero White: One plant

Habanero Yellow: One Plant
Hawaiian Sweet Hot: One Plant
Jalapeno, Biker Billy: One plant
Jalapeno, Goliath: One plant
Jalapeno, Purple: One plant

Jamaican Yellow: One plant
Lemon Drop: One plant.
Paper Lantern: One plant.

Peter Pepper (Orange): One Plant
Rain Forest: One Plant
Red Savina: One plant
Sante Fe Grande: Three plants.
Serrano Tamp: Two to three plants.

Thai Giant: One Plant
Tobago: One plant
Trinidad Scorpion Butch T: One plant

Trinidad Scorpion Green: Three Plants
Trinidad Moruga: Three plants
Trinidad Red Douglah: Three plants
Trinidad Douglah Chocolate: Three plants
Trinidad Scorpion Yellow: One Plant
White Scorpion Tongue: One Plant
Yellow Thai: One plant

Sweet Peppers

Jimmy Nardello: Six plants
Douce D`Espagne: Six plants
Lipstick: Two plants
Sweet Goliath: Three plants
Atris Hybrid: Three plants

Gypsy Hybrid: Three plants
La Rouge Royale: Three plants
Golden Treasure: Three plants

Mini Bell Red: Two Plants

Did you figure out the pickle issue? 

BTW all the Cuke farmers around here call them pickles, maybe cuz it's easier to say. I've seen the lower leaves do that many times here, how's the new growth?

Congrats on the harvests, the first ones are the best.

Interesting Choc Cayenne's!

Great updates Jeff. I too thought the perfume ripened red but  heard it had no heat so I chose not to grow it. 

Very strange your cukes are showing the same signs mine did a few months ago. They went from giant healthy producing tobrown then  yellow in a matter of two weeks. Died very fast.  I thought it was just the heat and humidity but after reading stickman's post and finding some worms in my last few  cukes I am starting to lead towards pests.  

Devv said:
Did you figure out the pickle issue? 

BTW all the Cuke farmers around here call them pickles, maybe cuz it's easier to say. I've seen the lower leaves do that many times here, how's the new growth?

Congrats on the harvests, the first ones are the best.

Interesting Choc Cayenne's!

From everything I have gathered its too much rain.  Usually later in the season they start browning on the bottom and soon are shot, but I believe that is just them running their course.  They currently are still reaching for the top of the fence and are putting out the pickles.  

I call em pickles because that's what I always heard them called growing up.  Little town by me had a, what they called a pickle factory, where my grandma and dad would pick pickles out in the fields and bring them in.  It was either a quarter an hour or a day, I don't remember.  

Harvest was great and I have a great many bhuts hanging on the plants too.  

Most people here call cukes pickles, as their intent to grow them are for processing. I like to grow the English cukes, the lack of seeds make it a plus when slicing. Also have an Asian type or two and the usual Marketmore/ Straight 8 varieties. My neighbor has issues with the leaves on her plants turning spotty and eventually turning brown and drying up. The issue is the same with all her cukes and is following the plants up to the top. Oddly enough, the fruit on her plants are also growing deformed. I mentioned to her it may be Bacterial Wilt as this started right off the bat with the initial early leaves. She doesn't rotate her crops and grows the cukes in the same spot each year.....go figure

Yeah, I may have to raise the fence on the other garden and rotate mine as well.  Little easier to do when you let them vine on the ground.

Off the subject, but after finishing my mancave, I finished my jonboat rebuild that got put on hold last fall due to the cold temperature.

BEFORE

BoatRebuild0001.jpg

AFTER

BoatRebuild0032.jpg

Today's lunch...red sails lettuce, kale, pickles, and 4 kinds of peppers.  Topped off with some grilled chicken.

ChickenSalad.jpg

My hybrid yellow zukes....Burpee is getting a letter lol.  This is one of the better ones.  Some are all green lol

Zukes.jpg

Great job on the Jon Boat! I really need to get me one...don't take the kid fishing near enough. I use those same archery targets you got in the back ground too! Haha! I got duped by Reimer on my "Spoon" Tomatoes this year...oh well. I suppose you get what you pay for! 

I don't know anyone this year that's had any success with squash...maybe bad carma? IDK

SO I read somewhere.... you said you had your own server..being a geek...mines a Network Solutions account for a domain I still own after I closed the ISP...and your's?

Update Time
 ​
One thing I like doing is crawling through the pepper rows weeding up tight where the hoe can't get.  Gives me some up close and personal time with the peppers.

Some pics are from the front garden that I didn't get weeded today.

7 pot

000007Pot.jpg

BB Jonah

00000BBJonah.jpg

Black Hungarian

00000BHung.jpg

00000BHung2.jpg

Butch T

00000Butch.jpg

Choc Hab

00000CHab.jpg

Peach Hab

00000PHab.jpg

Mystery

00000Mystery.jpg

Condor

00000Condor.jpg

Bump Please

Cascabella looks a little too big.

00000Cascabella.jpg

Fatalii

00000Fatalii.jpg

Purple Jalapeno but it obviously isn't :(

00000PJala.jpg

First time growing TS Green, is this normal coloring?

00000TSGreen.jpg

Yellow Bhut

00000YBhut.jpg

Orange Cayenne loading up.

00000YCay.jpg

Jamaican Yellow Mushroom

00000YellMush.jpg

Yellow Habanero

00000YellowHab.jpg

Congo

00000Congo.jpg

00.jpg

Devv said:
Cool!

How do you can them? We just blanch and freeze..

I can not stand canned corn or frozen beans lol.  My corn is blanched and frozen and my beans are canned.  Canning is easy, 20 minutes at 11 pounds.
Today's meager harvest pic

07Harvest.jpg

In the very front there are Congos and Mushrooms.  Behind them Condors and a Cajun Bell.  3rd row is a Black Hungarian, Tequila Sunrise, Bhut, and red savina.  Last rows are Cayennes.

I have to give the Sunrise a pass on my taste test as it is the first one picked.  Smells good, but the skin is a bit tough and there really wasn't any flavor.  True test will be the next pepper it has ripen.  Mushrooms are going in an omelet in the morning. (after my run).  Going to taste test the black tonight.

I have always had lipstick peppers ripen red.  Last year I had a plant that all of its pods ripened to orange.  I saved the seed from it and those are ripening orange as well.

00000OrangeLipstick.jpg

Yellow Jalapeno is loaded.

00000YellowJala.jpg

Lastly, the Tequila Sunrise plant.

00000Teq.jpg

Back