• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Bodeen's 2013 Grow _-_ Love at First Sting

Not actually starting this yet. Just trying to get my thoughts together on what and how many I will be planting of everything. There is the possibility that there will be no cows here next year and the pastures will be made into corn fields. This would mean the barn lot will be free and empty. It grows some of the best grass on the farm and the barn does have a well and a pump already there. Could it be garden number 3??? Also contemplating enlarging the back garden again.

Seed list so far

Hot Peppers

7 Pod Yellow: One Plant
7 Pod: One Plant
7 Pod Brain Strain: Three Plants
7 Pod Burgandy: Three Plants
7 Pod Chaguanas: One plant
Aji Amarillo: One Plant
Aji Chinchi Amarillo: One Plant
Assam: Three plants
Bhut Jolokia: Three Plants
Bhut Jolokia, Brown: Three Plants.
Bhut Jolokia, Chocolate: Three Plants
Bhut Jolokia, Peach: Three Plants.
Bhut Jokolia, Yellow: Three plants
Big Bomb Hybrid: Three plants
Biggie Chile Hybrid: One plant

Black Hungarian: One Plant
Budapest Hybrid: Three Plants
Cayenne (Thick): One Plant

Cayenne (Chocolate): Six Plants, with one over winter
Cayenne (Orange): One Plant
Chapeu Du Frade (Bishop's Hat): One Plant.
Chenzo Hybrid: One Plant
Cherry Bomb Hybrid: Three Plants

Czechoslovakian Black: One Plant
Fatalii: Three Plant
Fatalii, Red: One Plant
Fatalii x Savina: Three Plants
Fish: One plant.
Fresno: One Plant
Habanero Chocolate: Three plants
Habanero Orange: One plant
Habanero Peach: One Plant
Habanero Red: One plant
Habanero White: One plant

Habanero Yellow: One Plant
Hawaiian Sweet Hot: One Plant
Jalapeno, Biker Billy: One plant
Jalapeno, Goliath: One plant
Jalapeno, Purple: One plant

Jamaican Yellow: One plant
Lemon Drop: One plant.
Paper Lantern: One plant.

Peter Pepper (Orange): One Plant
Rain Forest: One Plant
Red Savina: One plant
Sante Fe Grande: Three plants.
Serrano Tamp: Two to three plants.

Thai Giant: One Plant
Tobago: One plant
Trinidad Scorpion Butch T: One plant

Trinidad Scorpion Green: Three Plants
Trinidad Moruga: Three plants
Trinidad Red Douglah: Three plants
Trinidad Douglah Chocolate: Three plants
Trinidad Scorpion Yellow: One Plant
White Scorpion Tongue: One Plant
Yellow Thai: One plant

Sweet Peppers

Jimmy Nardello: Six plants
Douce D`Espagne: Six plants
Lipstick: Two plants
Sweet Goliath: Three plants
Atris Hybrid: Three plants

Gypsy Hybrid: Three plants
La Rouge Royale: Three plants
Golden Treasure: Three plants

Mini Bell Red: Two Plants

stickman said:
Nice pork loin and berries BD! Do you shred your pork?

I just chunked this out and then grilled up some homemade garlic bread.  Put the pork on the bread with some mozz cheese and SBR

Sawyer said:
Sounds like home.

Only thing I need is a nice creek running through it to fish and it would be paradise.

Picked my very first peach habanero today.  Not know how hot it will make the gallon of refrigerator dills (some don't like my pickles too hot lol) I only put half of it in the pickles.  Not wanting to waste the other half, I will sample it in an omelet this morning.

PeachHab.jpg

The peach habanero started out like it was going to really get going, but it leveled off really quick.  Burn was back of the throat and part way up the sides of the tongue.  Much better flavor than the Red Savina.  Just a slight bit of that habanero after taste that I am not in love with.

All in all it is a very tasty pepper.  

Had another small harvest today.  Decided I had to try the Czech, Aji Habanero, and the Rainforest peppers today

First up was the Czech.  It looks so close to the Black Hungarian they could be twins.  Much hotter that the BH.  Heat hit the back of the throat first, then the underside of the tongue, lips, then the front top half of the tongue.  Top of the tongue retained the heat the longest.  I would judge it to be as hot as the hottest Purple Jalapeno I ate last year.  The Czech had a good flavor, just not quite as flavorful as the BH.

Next up was the Aji.  I cut it in half and picked out the seeds.  Popped a half in my mouth and there was nothing there.  A nice citrus smell, but not much taste.  Popped in the other half and got the smoky flavor and just a little tickle in the back of the throat.  Would be good in salsa and perhaps as a powder if the smoky taste intensified.  

Last pepper is the Rain Forest.  Not sure what to expect as far as flavor, but I think I read the heat was between Serrano and Cayenne.  Didn't get much out of it.  Had an aroma like a Brazilian Starfish and the taste of a Bishop's Hat.  Nice thick walled pods.  Heat was like the lightest heat of a Bishop.  

Perhaps pods later in the season will be better, but this should be a good gauge on how they will be.

Yellow Habanero

0YellowHab.jpg

Yellow Jalapeno

0YellowJap.jpg

Today's pull

Back row Thai, Rainforest, Tepin
Czech, bhut, TS Green
Cayenne, Condor, Serrano Tamo, Perfume, Fatalii
Peach Hab, Yellow Hab, Jamaican Mushroom
Aji hab, Cajun Bell, Chenzo, Orange Hab

0720Harvest.jpg

Got a few more shots in today.

7 pot Burgandy

17potburg.jpg

Billy Boy Jonah

1bbjonah.jpg

Not sure if I remember this correctly or not, but I believe this picture was of a brain strain finally podding.

1brain.jpg

Butch T

1butch.jpg

Chaguanas

1chang.jpg

LOADED

1loaded.jpg

Couple mystery pics

1mystery.jpg

1mystery2.jpg

and one of my hibiscus groves is starting to bloom

1hibiscus.jpg

And since I have one more pic I can post...tonight's catch!!!

970798_10200429088639845_902010581_n.jpg

Nice harvest!!!  Judging by how loaded with pods your plants are, it looks like you've got plenty more harvests ahead of you!

On the Condor's Beak, I thought the final color when ripe is red.  Mine are purple now, but I'm not harvesting them yet.

A little surprised your Rain Forest didn't have any heat to it.  The one I grew last year was definitely a medium heat, above a jalapeno, and probably about a serrano level.  Maybe they'll get hotter as the season progresses.

Does your yellow jalapeno have a name?  I am growing Jaloro, which is a yellow, but I know there are a couple other yellow jalapenos types out there.

Awesome grow you've got going on this year!!!

highalt said:
Nice harvest!!!  Judging by how loaded with pods your plants are, it looks like you've got plenty more harvests ahead of you!

On the Condor's Beak, I thought the final color when ripe is red.  Mine are purple now, but I'm not harvesting them yet.

A little surprised your Rain Forest didn't have any heat to it.  The one I grew last year was definitely a medium heat, above a jalapeno, and probably about a serrano level.  Maybe they'll get hotter as the season progresses.

Does your yellow jalapeno have a name?  I am growing Jaloro, which is a yellow, but I know there are a couple other yellow jalapenos types out there.

Awesome grow you've got going on this year!!!

I think I got the yellow jalapeno from the seed exchange you conducted.  It came just tagged as yellow jalapeno.  It does seem to have more heat than a jalapeno.

I will taste test the rainforest again.  I imagine it probably runs the same heat level as a starfish.  It has a similar taste and aroma.

Going to wait on the condor to get red for the next ones.  The purple color is just too awesome though lol.

Some of my plants aren't doing well though.  Purple Jalapeno isn't what it should be.  Will be doing a major overhaul to the pepper list next season.  Still want to try some new ones, but some of the ones I am growing this season was just to see if I liked them.  And I do like quite a few of them too.

I thought the Jaloro was hotter than a typical jalapeno when I tried it last year, so I wonder if that is true for most yellow jalapenos?

As hot as its been, I was out weeding the garden and got a smell like chili powder.  Time to make deer chili.  I think there will be many different kinds of pepper in this one.

Chili turned out good.  The two tepins gave it just enough heat with the aji habanero and biggie chilie also in there.  The 5 Jimmy Nardello gave it some sweetness.

1010857_10200435062869197_1440827258_n.jpg

Finally the sun sugar are producing.  Usually by this time of year I can't keep up with them and I am giving tons away at work.

1014466_10200434771181905_493699866_n.jpg

It was overcast all morning, which has me thinking chili too.  Yours looks tasty, but I'm a beans in the chili kind of gal.  

The only tomatoes that have ripened for me so far are Galina's Yellow Cherry, and Gold Currant.  Most of the beefsteak types have good sized tomatoes on them, but are a ways from ripening yet.

Nice pics of the Venison Chili and the Walleye... I hope your 'Maters are starting to ripen up. I'm getting ripe Cherokee Purples, Black Trifeles and Sungolds too. Cheers!

highalt said:
It was overcast all morning, which has me thinking chili too.  Yours looks tasty, but I'm a beans in the chili kind of gal.  

The only tomatoes that have ripened for me so far are Galina's Yellow Cherry, and Gold Currant.  Most of the beefsteak types have good sized tomatoes on them, but are a ways from ripening yet.

I like beans in as well, but when I went to the cupboard, the cupboard was beanless lol

Trippa said:
Yellow Jalapeno??  Sweet .... never seen them before ... everything looks swell bodeen ... tell me what type of fish is that??
 Walleye.  Biggest member of the perch family and second best tasting fish in the world next to perch.
Devv said:
Wow! catching up here. All looks good your way!

Venison chili is the best!

I have a ton of catching up to do too.  Work has been keeping me busy and when I do have a spare moment I am picking something or another.

DocNrock said:
Glad to see the harvests picking up, Jeff!  And I'll throw another shout out for the Yellow Jal.  Looks great!

Short plant, but loaded with peppers and some nice heat for a Jal.  It should make it to the garden next season as well.
Today's lunch was purely vegetables....tonight's dinner will not lol.

1016316_10200455898550076_302016254_n.jpg

Sweet pickle relish...Spicy relish is next on the list.

942451_10200453681974663_1234007597_n.jpg

Today's harvest

968871_10200455647263794_510648112_n.jpg

In the business, we refer to this as the money shot.

998750_10200455651743906_2098494922_n.jpg

Currently in the oven

999062_10200455910590377_1653642070_n.jpg

Hoping to get out and take some pics of the peppers this evening.  Looking like I have my first chinchi peppers getting ripe.  Excited to put this to the taste test and hope it tastes as good as the aji hab.

Nice, that Sweet pickle relish looks great and wouldn't mind a slice of that pie either :D You got any recipe for the Sweet pickle relish? I got a lot of pickles on my plant now and already 12 jars filled with them. Maybe I can use them for this relish also?

Back