• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Bodeen's 2013 Grow _-_ Love at First Sting

Not actually starting this yet. Just trying to get my thoughts together on what and how many I will be planting of everything. There is the possibility that there will be no cows here next year and the pastures will be made into corn fields. This would mean the barn lot will be free and empty. It grows some of the best grass on the farm and the barn does have a well and a pump already there. Could it be garden number 3??? Also contemplating enlarging the back garden again.

Seed list so far

Hot Peppers

7 Pod Yellow: One Plant
7 Pod: One Plant
7 Pod Brain Strain: Three Plants
7 Pod Burgandy: Three Plants
7 Pod Chaguanas: One plant
Aji Amarillo: One Plant
Aji Chinchi Amarillo: One Plant
Assam: Three plants
Bhut Jolokia: Three Plants
Bhut Jolokia, Brown: Three Plants.
Bhut Jolokia, Chocolate: Three Plants
Bhut Jolokia, Peach: Three Plants.
Bhut Jokolia, Yellow: Three plants
Big Bomb Hybrid: Three plants
Biggie Chile Hybrid: One plant

Black Hungarian: One Plant
Budapest Hybrid: Three Plants
Cayenne (Thick): One Plant

Cayenne (Chocolate): Six Plants, with one over winter
Cayenne (Orange): One Plant
Chapeu Du Frade (Bishop's Hat): One Plant.
Chenzo Hybrid: One Plant
Cherry Bomb Hybrid: Three Plants

Czechoslovakian Black: One Plant
Fatalii: Three Plant
Fatalii, Red: One Plant
Fatalii x Savina: Three Plants
Fish: One plant.
Fresno: One Plant
Habanero Chocolate: Three plants
Habanero Orange: One plant
Habanero Peach: One Plant
Habanero Red: One plant
Habanero White: One plant

Habanero Yellow: One Plant
Hawaiian Sweet Hot: One Plant
Jalapeno, Biker Billy: One plant
Jalapeno, Goliath: One plant
Jalapeno, Purple: One plant

Jamaican Yellow: One plant
Lemon Drop: One plant.
Paper Lantern: One plant.

Peter Pepper (Orange): One Plant
Rain Forest: One Plant
Red Savina: One plant
Sante Fe Grande: Three plants.
Serrano Tamp: Two to three plants.

Thai Giant: One Plant
Tobago: One plant
Trinidad Scorpion Butch T: One plant

Trinidad Scorpion Green: Three Plants
Trinidad Moruga: Three plants
Trinidad Red Douglah: Three plants
Trinidad Douglah Chocolate: Three plants
Trinidad Scorpion Yellow: One Plant
White Scorpion Tongue: One Plant
Yellow Thai: One plant

Sweet Peppers

Jimmy Nardello: Six plants
Douce D`Espagne: Six plants
Lipstick: Two plants
Sweet Goliath: Three plants
Atris Hybrid: Three plants

Gypsy Hybrid: Three plants
La Rouge Royale: Three plants
Golden Treasure: Three plants

Mini Bell Red: Two Plants

Devv said:
It's great to see all the cool things going on!

My favorite time of the year!

I'm so ready for a slice of that pie!

I can only tell you how good two slices of that was.  After eating some walleye and potatoes, the pie put me right to sleep on the couch.

meatfreak said:
Nice, that Sweet pickle relish looks great and wouldn't mind a slice of that pie either :D You got any recipe for the Sweet pickle relish? I got a lot of pickles on my plant now and already 12 jars filled with them. Maybe I can use them for this relish also?

I will have to post the recipe in the morning.  Dragging a bit tonight.  It is a simple recipe.

CANNED SWEET PICKLE RELISH
  • 4 c. chopped cucumbers
  • 2 c. chopped onions
  • 1 chopped green pepper
  • 1 chopped sweet red pepper
  • 1/4 c. salt
  • 3 1/2 c. sugar
  • 1 3/4 c. cider vinegar with 1/4 c. water
  • 1 tsp. turmeric
  • 1 tbsp. celery seed
  • 1 tbsp. mustard seed

Combine cucumbers, onions, green and red peppers in a large bowl; sprinkle with salt and cover 
with cold water. Let stand 2 hours. Drain thoroughly; press out excess liquid.
Combine sugar, vinegar and spices; heat to boiling. Add drained vegetables and simmer 10 minutes. 
Pack hot into hot half pint jars, leaving 1/4 inch head space. Process 10 minutes in boiling water 
bath. Makes about 8 half pints.

My next batch, which will be tomorrow morning, will have some budapest in it for some zip.  If I get enough pickles left over after doing other things, I plan on having some Thai or perhaps Lemon Drop relish.  

Just now starting to have a few cukes set fruit here, so no pickles yet, but seeing that relish of yours has me thinking zucchini relish instead.  Just need a few more ripe peppers, and a couple of ripe onions, and a carrot or two, and I'd be good to go.

Almost forgot, great job on the pie!  Those berries look delish!  Wish I had the space for some blackberry bushes ...

highalt said:
Just now starting to have a few cukes set fruit here, so no pickles yet, but seeing that relish of yours has me thinking zucchini relish instead.  Just need a few more ripe peppers, and a couple of ripe onions, and a carrot or two, and I'd be good to go.

Almost forgot, great job on the pie!  Those berries look delish!  Wish I had the space for some blackberry bushes ...

These are growing wild.  Perhaps you could check a neighbor's woods or some public lands like a game preserve or the like.
Today's Poddage
 ​
Picked my first Aji Amarilla Chinchi today.  Really nice aroma, fruity like taste, but not like a lemon drop.  Heat about like a lemon drop, maybe not at that level.  Been a while since I ate a lemon drop.

11AjiAmarillaChinchi.jpg

Had to take this from a worm's eye view.  This chenzo isn't even a foot tall and is jam packed with pods.

11Chenzo.jpg

Gotta go from the smallest pepper to one of the biggest, the Aji Habanero.  This is going to make some awesome powder.

11AjiHab.jpg

My Hawaiian Sweet Hot that almost didn't make it out of the grow room.

11hawaii.jpg

Dulce Rojo is going to make some great powder I believe.  Very sweet tasting pepper.

11DulceRojo.jpg

Not sure what I am going to do with this pepper.  Guess I will try cooking some mole!!!

11ChilhuacleNegro.jpg

Another mystery pepper that came up from a dropped seed.

11Mystery.jpg

FeherOzon

11Feherozon.jpg

TS (Twisted Sister)....Sorry, couldn't resist.
11TS.jpg

Morouga

11morouga.jpg

Really good looking pods Jeff!  You had some great harvests over the past week, and by the looks of it you are gonna be loaded down pretty soon.  That blackberry pie has got my tastebuds DANCING!!!

MGOLD86 said:
Really good looking pods Jeff!  You had some great harvests over the past week, and by the looks of it you are gonna be loaded down pretty soon.  That blackberry pie has got my tastebuds DANCING!!!

I know, then the work will come.  I was a seed saving machine last year and it really increased my workload.  This year I am not shooting for saving so many seeds.  Still going to try to keep my powder as seed free as I can.  

I can post the BB pie recipe.  I'm sure you can find some berries by you.  Of course you're probably a head of me up here on berries.

Spicegeist said:
Mystery and Twisted Sister are my favs, looking good!
...Come out and Play.....

The hotter version of the relish is on the way.  Put in the Budapest peppers, stirred it up, and could get no heat from it.  Thinking the cooking process will lose some heat, so for my mild relish, I added in 3 1/2 Aji Amarillo Chinchi peppers.  If I had some Aji Habs ripe I would have thrown them in as well for some nice flavor.

Time will tell how warm this is.

1075753_10200463517260539_1532429519_n.jpg

Here is the finished Product.  I get very little heat out of this.  I believe its just like when I make pepper jelly.  Lose a lot of the heat on some of them.

mildrelish1.jpg

mildrelish2.jpg

Of course I had to sample it, and if I am using the grill, I gotta do some chicken.  Greek Style Chicken Breasts

945957_10200465515430492_1281801820_n.jpg

Polish, hot dog, and some chicken.  Got busy and forgot to do taters and corn :(

RelishDinner.jpg

Plants, peppers, food shots all look good.
When you say there's very little heat in the relish did the raw peppers have a good amount of heat prior to processing ?
That was a good run with the leaf lettuce....must have been the cool early summer. My Romaine was doing well up until a few weeks back.

All's looking good Jeff!

Romaine plant out is in 30 days, and every two weeks for a while there after, along with some other cool weather guys and gals. Come on Sept.!

Well I'm wishing that for me, for the rest of 'yall I hope the warm stays with you.....100-103 here:(

Keep on growing!

PIC 1 said:
Plants, peppers, food shots all look good.
When you say there's very little heat in the relish did the raw peppers have a good amount of heat prior to processing ?
That was a good run with the leaf lettuce....must have been the cool early summer. My Romaine was doing well up until a few weeks back.

They had some heat to them.  Not sure where the chinchi are suppose to rate at, but they had Lemon Drop type heat.  Perhaps I should have thrown in some Thai as they tend to hold their heat better when cooked.

It will all get eaten!!!

Tasted my refrigerator dills that had the peach habanero in them this evening.  Mighty tasty.  Very little heat, but the more you eat, the bigger the tingle gets.  Which is good for many different heat level people.  As soon as I have another bhut ready, I think I will go with that.  Might even drop it down to 4 quarts so I can try 4 different hot peppers and see what flavors are added to the pickles.

Back