• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Bodeen's 2013 Grow _-_ Love at First Sting

Not actually starting this yet. Just trying to get my thoughts together on what and how many I will be planting of everything. There is the possibility that there will be no cows here next year and the pastures will be made into corn fields. This would mean the barn lot will be free and empty. It grows some of the best grass on the farm and the barn does have a well and a pump already there. Could it be garden number 3??? Also contemplating enlarging the back garden again.

Seed list so far

Hot Peppers

7 Pod Yellow: One Plant
7 Pod: One Plant
7 Pod Brain Strain: Three Plants
7 Pod Burgandy: Three Plants
7 Pod Chaguanas: One plant
Aji Amarillo: One Plant
Aji Chinchi Amarillo: One Plant
Assam: Three plants
Bhut Jolokia: Three Plants
Bhut Jolokia, Brown: Three Plants.
Bhut Jolokia, Chocolate: Three Plants
Bhut Jolokia, Peach: Three Plants.
Bhut Jokolia, Yellow: Three plants
Big Bomb Hybrid: Three plants
Biggie Chile Hybrid: One plant

Black Hungarian: One Plant
Budapest Hybrid: Three Plants
Cayenne (Thick): One Plant

Cayenne (Chocolate): Six Plants, with one over winter
Cayenne (Orange): One Plant
Chapeu Du Frade (Bishop's Hat): One Plant.
Chenzo Hybrid: One Plant
Cherry Bomb Hybrid: Three Plants

Czechoslovakian Black: One Plant
Fatalii: Three Plant
Fatalii, Red: One Plant
Fatalii x Savina: Three Plants
Fish: One plant.
Fresno: One Plant
Habanero Chocolate: Three plants
Habanero Orange: One plant
Habanero Peach: One Plant
Habanero Red: One plant
Habanero White: One plant

Habanero Yellow: One Plant
Hawaiian Sweet Hot: One Plant
Jalapeno, Biker Billy: One plant
Jalapeno, Goliath: One plant
Jalapeno, Purple: One plant

Jamaican Yellow: One plant
Lemon Drop: One plant.
Paper Lantern: One plant.

Peter Pepper (Orange): One Plant
Rain Forest: One Plant
Red Savina: One plant
Sante Fe Grande: Three plants.
Serrano Tamp: Two to three plants.

Thai Giant: One Plant
Tobago: One plant
Trinidad Scorpion Butch T: One plant

Trinidad Scorpion Green: Three Plants
Trinidad Moruga: Three plants
Trinidad Red Douglah: Three plants
Trinidad Douglah Chocolate: Three plants
Trinidad Scorpion Yellow: One Plant
White Scorpion Tongue: One Plant
Yellow Thai: One plant

Sweet Peppers

Jimmy Nardello: Six plants
Douce D`Espagne: Six plants
Lipstick: Two plants
Sweet Goliath: Three plants
Atris Hybrid: Three plants

Gypsy Hybrid: Three plants
La Rouge Royale: Three plants
Golden Treasure: Three plants

Mini Bell Red: Two Plants

Devv said:
Wow!

Great pull! And I love to see what you're doing with it as well!

Our gardening schedules are so different, our tomatoes were done in June. We just can the tom's and make sauce as needed, then freeze the sauce into serving sized containers.

Have a great week!

About done canning tomato sauce and salsa here too.  Bad year for tomatoes up here.  Cool and wet.  Had my first ever case of BER going back at least 2 generations lol.  The Super Boy tomatoes didn't have BER but they grew small and 33 percent of the early ones had black on the inside.  Those are just used for fresh eating salsa, but still a pain.  Going to relocate them for next season.

WalkGood said:
Awesome pulls, pics, squirrel foodie and Spaghetti sauce … great work mon!

Thank you.  Pulls are only going to get bigger and hopefully the squirrels start running more after this hot spell.

MGOLD86 said:
Damn Jeff you really are in full swing now!  I had some of that choc cayenne powder on my eggs AGAIN today!  Great stuff man, freakin great stuff!

So glad you like it.  I'm up to just over 3 ounces of that powder now with a half pint jar almost stuffed.  Hope to fill a pint jar this year.  Saving seeds off plants and keeping them separate.  Going to see how I can follow them next year.  No other Cayenne peppers but those next season even though I love the looks of the orange cayenne!!!

Nice pull.  I really like your selection of varieties.  I noticed today my Datils are podding up, so I should be able to get some ripe ones before first frost.  Have you tasted that Burgundy yet?  I've got one ripe one (it's huge), but I haven't tasted it yet.  Maybe for breakfast.

Do you hot water bath process or pressure cook that sauce?  I just noticed the lids are off and they don't look to be steaming.

My first .22 was a bolt action single shot.  I don't remember the make, but it had a knob you had to pull back to cock it after loading a shell.  I used to have a penny and a nickel that I punched at 100 yds with it (not all the way through) with open sights.  Kept the freezer stocked with squirrel and rabbit.  Wish I still had that gun. 

Sawyer said:
Nice pull.  I really like your selection of varieties.  I noticed today my Datils are podding up, so I should be able to get some ripe ones before first frost.  Have you tasted that Burgundy yet?  I've got one ripe one (it's huge), but I haven't tasted it yet.  Maybe for breakfast.

Do you hot water bath process or pressure cook that sauce?  I just noticed the lids are off and they don't look to be steaming.

My first .22 was a bolt action single shot.  I don't remember the make, but it had a knob you had to pull back to cock it after loading a shell.  I used to have a penny and a nickel that I punched at 100 yds with it (not all the way through) with open sights.  Kept the freezer stocked with squirrel and rabbit.  Wish I still had that gun. 

Gotta get the sauce hot and cook it a while, then it goes in a hot water bath.  No need to pressure it, no meat in the sauce.  The picture was of the ones that were getting ready to go in the bath.  Don't want to put the lids on before the first set of 7 quarts are out of the bath.  Hate to have them seal up prematurely.

100 yards with open sights is quite a shot.  Remind me not to snoop around your yard lol

Bodeen said:
100 yards with open sights is quite a shot.  Remind me not to snoop around your yard lol

That was a long time ago, though now that I think about it, I do have my dad's semi-auto open sight .22.   Maybe I'll take it to the range when I go to sight in the (scoped) .308. 

Ground my first batch of chocolate supers.  Got just over an ounce of some darn petty powder.  

One good thing about having the dehydrator going all the time is I can dry out my grinder after each washing really easily.

Got a couple ball mason jar shakers.  Not sure how they hold out the humidity.  But the good news is the lids will fit on small mouthed ball jars, so if I keep the powder sealed in the ball jars, I just need to swap the lid out when needed.

PepperShaker.jpg

Some Aji Habanero powder pics.  Put some on chicken breasts tonight and then sliced the breasts up onto a romaine salad.  The powder lent a nice little flavor to the chicken.  Not sure if I would use the word smoky, but it was a pleasant taste to the chicken.

ajihab1.jpg

ajihab2.jpg

Ajihabchicken.jpg

I wish ball made a skinny neck jar lol.  I got a lot of the 1/4 pints which work nice, but would be better if they were a tall skinny 4 ounce jar instead of a short fat one.  They stack nice though.  And with a regular mason lid on them, they seal up nicely.

Tried my first Fatalii today.  After doing some reading, I think I want to grow the yellow next year.  As soon as I cut the pod open I had a nice aroma.  I didn't even have to lean down to smell the pod.  The taste was good.  It was like a lighter version of a Paper Lantern.  Very very slight bitterness like you get with the Lantern.

Has to be one of the hotter peppers I have eaten this year.  The heat continued to build until I was about 2/3 through the omelet.  Immediate throat burn that went under the tongue.  Wasn't as hot as the Savina, but it was much hotter than the Scotch Bonnet and the TS Yellow.  If I have to make a choice growing next year between this pepper and the Lantern, this one will win out.  

Fatalii1.jpg

Fatalii2.jpg

Fatalii3.jpg

Fatalii4.jpg

Fatalii5.jpg

Fatalii6.jpg

Bodeen said:

I really wish I could get into small bore but I just can't. I guess it just isn't loud enough for me. My favorite 22 cal is any of my 223 guns. Open sights with them at 100 is very easy.

Bodeen said:
Tried my first Fatalii today.  After doing some reading, I think I want to grow the yellow next year.  As soon as I cut the pod open I had a nice aroma.  I didn't even have to lean down to smell the pod.  The taste was good.  It was like a lighter version of a Paper Lantern.  Very very slight bitterness like you get with the Lantern.

Has to be one of the hotter peppers I have eaten this year.  The heat continued to build until I was about 2/3 through the omelet.  Immediate throat burn that went under the tongue.  Wasn't as hot as the Savina, but it was much hotter than the Scotch Bonnet and the TS Yellow.  If I have to make a choice growing next year between this pepper and the Lantern, this one will win out.  

Fatalii1.jpg

Let me know if you do that. I'll be the only one left on here growing paper lanterns, I think. If the red fatalii tastes anything like the yellow though, I wouldn't substitute it for the lanterns. It is a totally different flavor profile.

My best use of the paper lanterns to date has to be drying them and rough chopping in the food processor. I sprinkle them on pizza and pasta just like you would do with red pepper flakes at a pizza restaurant. Delicious.

Jeff H said:
I really wish I could get into small bore but I just can't. I guess it just isn't loud enough for me. My favorite 22 cal is any of my 223 guns. Open sights with them at 100 is very easy.

Let me know if you do that. I'll be the only one left on here growing paper lanterns, I think. If the red fatalii tastes anything like the yellow though, I wouldn't substitute it for the lanterns. It is a totally different flavor profile.

My best use of the paper lanterns to date has to be drying them and rough chopping in the food processor. I sprinkle them on pizza and pasta just like you would do with red pepper flakes at a pizza restaurant. Delicious.

The only thing I don't like on the Lanterns is the after taste or the bitterness.  I have some pods dried, not many as my plant didn't do well this season.  I may have to flake some out.  I did that with my tepin and it is darn good in soups and such,

Hitting a deer at 100 yards open sights is nothing, but hitting a dime at that range is something else.  I don't think I could even see a dime at that distance any more lol.

I don't think I could see a dime either, but the ghost sight on an AR is amazingly accurate. Comparatively, I'm not that good of a shot, but you would be absolutely amazed with some of the guys I shoot with and what they can hit out to 600 with open sights on an AR. Just hunting paper though.

Going to be making some brats this fall once the hog is butchered.  Got some casings and I am going to be putting diced hot peppers into the meat mix.  Seen some at the local butchers with jalapeno in them, but I think I will up the ante on that.

casing.jpg

Did a change of pace on my walleye tonight.  I am generally strictly a ketchup on my fish kind of guy, but tonight I made up some tartar sauce using some homemade pickle relish and a fresh peach habanero.   Golly, that was good.

tartar.jpg

I added aji habanero to the bread crumbs and I think that added to the flavor of this fish.

ajiwalleye.jpg

Got some Chocolate habs getting ready

827chochab.jpg

Chocolate Scotch Bonnet as well.  Sorry for the crap picture.

827chocscotch.jpg

Looking really good! Spicy fish is the bomb!

I forgot to mention before about the omelet, glad to see you reached a threshold, bet it was wonderful.

Been making sausage for years, it's a long road to find the perfect seasoning blends. I have the country, Italian, and dried down, never had much luck making brats. One thing I've learned is the simpler recipes always come out better...

Devv said:
Looking really good! Spicy fish is the bomb!

I forgot to mention before about the omelet, glad to see you reached a threshold, bet it was wonderful.

Been making sausage for years, it's a long road to find the perfect seasoning blends. I have the country, Italian, and dried down, never had much luck making brats. One thing I've learned is the simpler recipes always come out better...

I have a tough time with brats too.  I might just make a simple sausage and add hot pepper to it and tell everyone its brats lol

I think the threshold is the Red Savina.  Until I get the nerve up to put a yellow bhut in an omelet.  Looking forward to growing a yellow fatalii next year as I read they are more fruity than the red.

Looking forward to growing a yellow fatalii next year as I read they are more fruity than the red.

Let me know if you want me to send you some. I should have some ripening in a week or two. Personally, they aren't my favorite, too fruity/citrusy for me but many people love that flavor so you may really like them. 

Jeff H said:

Let me know if you want me to send you some. I should have some ripening in a week or two. Personally, they aren't my favorite, too fruity/citrusy for me but many people love that flavor so you may really like them. 

That would be awesome I'd really appreciate that.

Back