• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Bodeen's 2013 Grow _-_ Love at First Sting

Not actually starting this yet. Just trying to get my thoughts together on what and how many I will be planting of everything. There is the possibility that there will be no cows here next year and the pastures will be made into corn fields. This would mean the barn lot will be free and empty. It grows some of the best grass on the farm and the barn does have a well and a pump already there. Could it be garden number 3??? Also contemplating enlarging the back garden again.

Seed list so far

Hot Peppers

7 Pod Yellow: One Plant
7 Pod: One Plant
7 Pod Brain Strain: Three Plants
7 Pod Burgandy: Three Plants
7 Pod Chaguanas: One plant
Aji Amarillo: One Plant
Aji Chinchi Amarillo: One Plant
Assam: Three plants
Bhut Jolokia: Three Plants
Bhut Jolokia, Brown: Three Plants.
Bhut Jolokia, Chocolate: Three Plants
Bhut Jolokia, Peach: Three Plants.
Bhut Jokolia, Yellow: Three plants
Big Bomb Hybrid: Three plants
Biggie Chile Hybrid: One plant

Black Hungarian: One Plant
Budapest Hybrid: Three Plants
Cayenne (Thick): One Plant

Cayenne (Chocolate): Six Plants, with one over winter
Cayenne (Orange): One Plant
Chapeu Du Frade (Bishop's Hat): One Plant.
Chenzo Hybrid: One Plant
Cherry Bomb Hybrid: Three Plants

Czechoslovakian Black: One Plant
Fatalii: Three Plant
Fatalii, Red: One Plant
Fatalii x Savina: Three Plants
Fish: One plant.
Fresno: One Plant
Habanero Chocolate: Three plants
Habanero Orange: One plant
Habanero Peach: One Plant
Habanero Red: One plant
Habanero White: One plant

Habanero Yellow: One Plant
Hawaiian Sweet Hot: One Plant
Jalapeno, Biker Billy: One plant
Jalapeno, Goliath: One plant
Jalapeno, Purple: One plant

Jamaican Yellow: One plant
Lemon Drop: One plant.
Paper Lantern: One plant.

Peter Pepper (Orange): One Plant
Rain Forest: One Plant
Red Savina: One plant
Sante Fe Grande: Three plants.
Serrano Tamp: Two to three plants.

Thai Giant: One Plant
Tobago: One plant
Trinidad Scorpion Butch T: One plant

Trinidad Scorpion Green: Three Plants
Trinidad Moruga: Three plants
Trinidad Red Douglah: Three plants
Trinidad Douglah Chocolate: Three plants
Trinidad Scorpion Yellow: One Plant
White Scorpion Tongue: One Plant
Yellow Thai: One plant

Sweet Peppers

Jimmy Nardello: Six plants
Douce D`Espagne: Six plants
Lipstick: Two plants
Sweet Goliath: Three plants
Atris Hybrid: Three plants

Gypsy Hybrid: Three plants
La Rouge Royale: Three plants
Golden Treasure: Three plants

Mini Bell Red: Two Plants

Got out to the garden this morning to do a quick harvest for some care packages I was sending out.  Couldn't fit in as many as I wanted to, but there is a nice assortment in the boxes.

0828Sampler.jpg

Here is what I initially picked

828EarlyHarvest.jpg

Picked my very first Hawaiian sweet hot today.  I didn't do it into an omelet, just gave it a munch.  Skin is a little tough on this one.  Starts with a very nice short lasting sweet taste with heat that focuses mainly on the tongue.  Once you get that you can eat more without any increased heat.  The heat does hang around a while, but its on the level of a Jalapeno.  I read somewhere that if you cook this pepper it loses the heat and gets more sweet.  I will have to test that once I get a bunch ripe.

828hawaii.jpg

Went out and got my main harvest and was able to fill the dehydrator up.

828harvest2.jpg

828ts.jpg

Almost forgot to pick the rojo.  Time for some more paprika!!!

828rojo.jpg

Had another go at the rain forest pepper today.  Cutting it open it has the same aroma as the starfish.  I imagine they are pretty similar.  Get just a touch of sweet on the initial bite and then just a little warming sensation.  I was thinking these should have been around Serrano Tamp heat and was going to use them for jelly, but they are a bit too weak.

Bodeen said:
Got out to the garden this morning to do a quick harvest for some care packages I was sending out.  Couldn't fit in as many as I wanted to, but there is a nice assortment in the boxes.

0828Sampler.jpg

Here is what I initially picked

828EarlyHarvest.jpg
What are the red and yellow ones on the lower right? Fatali? I will be stalking my mailman tomorrow!

nice and nice!  i dont expect you to go nuts... but if you can point out any of the peppers to approach with caution i would appreciate it.  i am trying to play ID the pepper with some online pics and the one you posted.

It would depend on what your tolerance level is?  I sent out a free box earlier and the person popped in a little white one because it looked tame and was a bit surprised.  

I would go with the yellow TS first.  I wear gloves when cutting it open because even after showering I have touched the wrong things and been a little hot.

Even the thai is hot.  I can eat several of them in salsa, but chewing on one fresh gets quite hot to me.

I ate another peach habanero omelet today and it as nearly twice as hot as the first one I had.  

In my opinion the lemon drop and chinchi have about the same heat levels.  The datil will have a wonderful aroma.  The fatalii will have a good aroma too, but has good heat to it.

Today's harvest was a special one.  My first Burgundy pod.  It will be eaten tomorrow for breakfast.

830burg.jpg

830burg2.jpg

830burg3.jpg

I also got my first Chocolate Scotch Bonnet peppers.  These look like some I see online, but not like a true bonnet.  Not sure if I got right seeds or not, but I will taste this one over the weekend and see if pursuing true seeds will be an effort I want to endeavor.

830chocbonnet.jpg

Then comes my first ever chocolate Habanero.  Yet again these look right on some pics, but not on others.  Could be JHC for all I know.  I didn't harvest these seeds or know how they were grown.

830chochab.jpg

830chochab2.jpg

830chochab3.jpg

Not sure on this chocolate, but the pods are huge.

830choc.jpg

I just love these peppers.

830ts.jpg

Overall Harvest shot.

830harvest.jpg

Going to try drying some bombs as I have a bag in the freezer already.  Going for something along the lines of flakes and I can see it being added to noodle type dishes after the fact.

Bodeen said:
It would depend on what your tolerance level is?  I sent out a free box earlier and the person popped in a little white one because it looked tame and was a bit surprised.  

I would go with the yellow TS first.  I wear gloves when cutting it open because even after showering I have touched the wrong things and been a little hot.

Even the thai is hot.  I can eat several of them in salsa, but chewing on one fresh gets quite hot to me.

I ate another peach habanero omelet today and it as nearly twice as hot as the first one I had.  

In my opinion the lemon drop and chinchi have about the same heat levels.  The datil will have a wonderful aroma.  The fatalii will have a good aroma too, but has good heat to it.
My fault for not asking sooner on the white one lol. Had never heard of a white hab before so thought the little jellybean looking one would be mild. Had great flavor though! And I agree with the TS yellow. Delicious pepper and had less heat than I was expecting. 

Gave the rain forest pepper another go.  One thing I can tell you is the plant is a pod producing machine and pushing 4 feet tall.  This pod had more heat to it than the rest did, but it is still less than Jalapeno.  The heat did hang for a long time though.  Just not in love with the flavor.  

830rain.jpg

830rain2.jpg

I was happy to see my "chocolate bhuts" getting ripe.

830chocbhut.jpg

Guess this means I will be looking for another source of seed lol

Got some brains starting to turn as well.

830brain.jpg

830brain2.jpg

Mystery pepper isn't a mystery.  Glad this is what it turned out to be as the one I knew I had died early on.

830prino.jpg

830primo2.jpg

Then I have my Chilhuacle Negro.  Still not sure what I am going to do with these things.

830chiluachle.jpg

Might not have to do anything with them as they are calling for some serious chit in Chicago and Kankakee, but it looks like it might slip north of me.  I took a hike out back to the soybean field to look at the sky and everything was still.  Not even a bird singing.  We need the rain but the hail can stay north.

I am thinking about OW the primo.  That would give me a huge jump on next year and increase my pod production correct?  Got a few other peppers I want to OW so hopefully the aphids leave me alone this time.  If they do show up, I got something special for their azz this year.  Dawn dish soap.  Pretty much kills bugs dead.

Jeff H said:
Let me know if you do that. I'll be the only one left on here growing paper lanterns, I think. If the red fatalii tastes anything like the yellow though, I wouldn't substitute it for the lanterns. It is a totally different flavor profile.

My best use of the paper lanterns to date has to be drying them and rough chopping in the food processor. I sprinkle them on pizza and pasta just like you would do with red pepper flakes at a pizza restaurant. Delicious.
Thanks for the impressions on the taste of the Paper Lantern pods... I started some this year along with some Maya Red Habs, but lost the Paper Lanterns. The pods of the two varieties look identical, and similar to the red Fatali. It's good to know they each have a different flavor profile. I really liked the Maya Reds... very sweet and fruity, with a moderate burn for a Hab. 

Have you grown the Chilhuacle Negro before BD? I sampled my first ripe one a while back, and it tasted a lot like a Pasilla to me. I dried the pods whole in the top tray of my dehydrator and bagged them up for later.

Had my 7 Pod for breakfast today and it was quite good.  First time trying these so I only used half a pod.  I had read it tastes like caramel and leaves your mouth with a honey taste afterwards.  There was a silky smoothness to this pepper and it lingers afterwards.

Initial heat was in my throat but worked its way all over the mouth.  While eating, it really warmed up the tongue.  Not one bit of bad taste to this pepper.  I did have to go out to the garden and pick a new one as when I cut the one from yesterday open in was nasty inside.  

831burg.jpg

831burg2.jpg

831burg3.jpg

831burg4.jpg

Bodeen said:

Well as soon as I ripped the box open I ate what I think was an aji lemon. Great pod. I already have seeds and will def be growing these next season. This morning I chopped up an an entire yellow TS scorpion in my scrambled eggs. Shocked at the heat level. I was ready to get kicked in the stones but it was a really tasty pod with really nice heat to it. As an after breakfast chaser I chomped a fresh datil. Same deal, it really appealed to my taste buds and I already have seeds.

Gonna get the rest sorted today. I plan to eat a few more straight and will freeze or incorporate some of these into a sauce today.

Thanks again Bodeen!

Modest harvest today, so I decided to let garden 2 wait a day or two so I can get a bigger harvest.  Garden one I picked 25 aji habs, a few yellow habs a few chenzo peppers, and a tray of JYM.

I have to pick the JYM before they get full ripe or they can sometimes get bad spots in them.  Not a big fan of that.  With that, I had one in an omelet this morning and got very little heat out of it and no noticeable flavor.  I think these are going to be scratched from the grow list for next season.

Back