• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Bodeen's 2013 Grow _-_ Love at First Sting

Not actually starting this yet. Just trying to get my thoughts together on what and how many I will be planting of everything. There is the possibility that there will be no cows here next year and the pastures will be made into corn fields. This would mean the barn lot will be free and empty. It grows some of the best grass on the farm and the barn does have a well and a pump already there. Could it be garden number 3??? Also contemplating enlarging the back garden again.

Seed list so far

Hot Peppers

7 Pod Yellow: One Plant
7 Pod: One Plant
7 Pod Brain Strain: Three Plants
7 Pod Burgandy: Three Plants
7 Pod Chaguanas: One plant
Aji Amarillo: One Plant
Aji Chinchi Amarillo: One Plant
Assam: Three plants
Bhut Jolokia: Three Plants
Bhut Jolokia, Brown: Three Plants.
Bhut Jolokia, Chocolate: Three Plants
Bhut Jolokia, Peach: Three Plants.
Bhut Jokolia, Yellow: Three plants
Big Bomb Hybrid: Three plants
Biggie Chile Hybrid: One plant

Black Hungarian: One Plant
Budapest Hybrid: Three Plants
Cayenne (Thick): One Plant

Cayenne (Chocolate): Six Plants, with one over winter
Cayenne (Orange): One Plant
Chapeu Du Frade (Bishop's Hat): One Plant.
Chenzo Hybrid: One Plant
Cherry Bomb Hybrid: Three Plants

Czechoslovakian Black: One Plant
Fatalii: Three Plant
Fatalii, Red: One Plant
Fatalii x Savina: Three Plants
Fish: One plant.
Fresno: One Plant
Habanero Chocolate: Three plants
Habanero Orange: One plant
Habanero Peach: One Plant
Habanero Red: One plant
Habanero White: One plant

Habanero Yellow: One Plant
Hawaiian Sweet Hot: One Plant
Jalapeno, Biker Billy: One plant
Jalapeno, Goliath: One plant
Jalapeno, Purple: One plant

Jamaican Yellow: One plant
Lemon Drop: One plant.
Paper Lantern: One plant.

Peter Pepper (Orange): One Plant
Rain Forest: One Plant
Red Savina: One plant
Sante Fe Grande: Three plants.
Serrano Tamp: Two to three plants.

Thai Giant: One Plant
Tobago: One plant
Trinidad Scorpion Butch T: One plant

Trinidad Scorpion Green: Three Plants
Trinidad Moruga: Three plants
Trinidad Red Douglah: Three plants
Trinidad Douglah Chocolate: Three plants
Trinidad Scorpion Yellow: One Plant
White Scorpion Tongue: One Plant
Yellow Thai: One plant

Sweet Peppers

Jimmy Nardello: Six plants
Douce D`Espagne: Six plants
Lipstick: Two plants
Sweet Goliath: Three plants
Atris Hybrid: Three plants

Gypsy Hybrid: Three plants
La Rouge Royale: Three plants
Golden Treasure: Three plants

Mini Bell Red: Two Plants

Looks like my Black Hungarian isn't going to make it. Came up fine and coty opened fine, then it started to look like it was drying out. No 2nd leaves ever starting and the one coty fell off tonight. Not even going to try to germ one up now. Its a little late and if they are that touchy, I don't want to mess with them.

Been a tough germinating year so far.

Some new pictures of the grow. I am still going to end up with more peppers and more varieties than last year, so I guess its all going to work itself out.

Poor Black Hungarian. Don't think he will make it, but I have him in ICU

03-10-2013_01.jpg

Yellow Cayenne came up but coty never cleared the plug and the coty died. Additional attempts to germ seeds have not worked for this pepper.

03-10-2013_09.jpg

Now the success stories.

03-10-2013_2.jpg

03-10-2013_03.jpg

03-10-2013_04.jpg

03-10-2013_05.jpg

03-10-2013_06.jpg

03-10-2013_07.jpg

03-10-2013_08.jpg

Will try to get updated germ results after fishing.

Looks real good. Is the Golden Cayenne your problem pepper? Mine is the Naga Morich. I think I have ten seeds sitting in dirt right now. I had about five plants and they all died. Last year I had three I purchased from CCN and they died. UGH

Not a golden, just a yellow. Having red, chocolate, purple, and orange, I wanted to grow a yellow too. Only wanted one, so I planted one and it popped up and then died on me. I have had a few pop up and died before popping off the helmet. Popped a couple off trying to remove the helmet, but saved a lot more than I lost.

My average for germination is going up, but the supers are what are dragging down my numbers. I have a couple brains and morougas and some douglahs which I really wanted this year again. I will be fine with this. Just hate going through all this and having things turn south.

Oh yeah, my jonahs and ts green and burgandys came, so I am happy with that.

Amazingly the Orange Lipstick I planted and then I believe I pulled his coty off trying to remove the helmet is putting out a new leaf. First time this has ever happened for me. Of course in the same cell is the replant that is up and doing great too.

Feher Ozon both came up for me, but the one came up and died. The other just lost its helmet.

Rainforest was looking bad so I had put another seed in the cell. I potted up the plant to see if I could bring it back and the other seed is hooking so all might not be lost on this plant.

Hawaiian is starting to hook.

Both Dulce Rojo are up.

Two Assam are up, one looked like the coty died inside the helmet and the other is up with a helmet and I am trying to help.

Just potted up another 18 plants. I have 20 more that are ready/getting close and then about another 5 that are hooking or up with a helmet.

Won't be doing a recap on numbers until I am done potting up. Tomatoes get started next weekend.

Your plants are doing very well, and having more variety and quanity then the previous year is always a plus, especially with the land that you have.
I wouldn't get to bent oout of shape with the Black Hungarian, unless that's one of your favorites. I grew that for a few seasons. The pods started out black, ripened red but ended up with really thin skins and not much flavor. The highlight was the color process....two tone with the red and blacks on the plant. If the pods were thicker they could be stuffed.....but I decided to x them off the list in the future.

Your plants are doing very well, and having more variety and quanity then the previous year is always a plus, especially with the land that you have.
I wouldn't get to bent oout of shape with the Black Hungarian, unless that's one of your favorites. I grew that for a few seasons. The pods started out black, ripened red but ended up with really thin skins and not much flavor. The highlight was the color process....two tone with the red and blacks on the plant. If the pods were thicker they could be stuffed.....but I decided to x them off the list in the future.

First time trying to grow it, so I am not too disappointed with it. I have a chenzo that starts out black and makes a wonderful powder. I should have planted more than one plant, but I was assuming that more of the others would pop. Still going to have peppers coming out of my ears...I hope.

Well some good news and some bad news. Looks like the first rain forest is trying to put out some real leaves. The black Hungarian that lost a coty and looked like it was drying up is responding to the potting up and is putting out real leaves.

The bad news is my first T Scorpion withered and died. The two I just potted up does have their true leaves already, so they hopefully are ready to rock.

Was going through my plants today and I have a 36 cell tray that is ready to get potted up. I narrowed my germinating, hooked, rooted tray to less than 36. I did notice as I inspected the root riots that I had a lot of seeds germ, but died perhaps from be unable to get out of the plugs. The ones that were like that and still alive, I split the plugs a bit to aid in their growing out of the plug. Could be part of my coty dying issue as well.

On the other side of things, I am going to have a few mystery peppers. When I resowed some peppers earlier, the old seeds I just dropped down in the bottom of the cell. As I pulled out some plugs that weren't doing anything, I noticed some seeds going to town in the bottom of the plugs. I hope they turn out to be some of the ones that I didn't get to come up.

Some seeds I just couldn't get to come up with a replant and with a germ test. Could be bad seed on those.

Still happy with what I have rocking on right now.

Got some pic updates here. Below is the Orange Lipstick that lost his head and is making a comeback.

03-14-2013_00.jpg

Below are two black and two white Scorpion Tongues. They are growing like weeds. Much faster than the others.

03-14-2013_01.jpg

Here is the rainforest that is trying to make a comeback. Of course the replant popped up after I potted up this guy hoping to ICU him back to health.

03-14-2013_06.jpg

Here is the Black Hungarian that lost a coty and was drying up. Two true leaves on him now.

03-14-2013_07.jpg

The rest are pot ups.

03-14-2013_02.jpg

03-14-2013_03.jpg

03-14-2013_04.jpg

03-14-2013_05.jpg

03-14-2013_08.jpg

03-14-2013_09.jpg

Ran out of pic room to post the other three trays and the last of the germ tray. A bump would be appreciated :)

Picked up 4 more grow lights and daylight bulbs. Still need to get more grow lights. I like to mix em. I should be good until plants start out growing their shelving units. Then I will have to start pulling shelves and it might get a bit crowded in there. Luckily the grow table I built will hold 4 trays of 18 3 1/4 inch pots, so the tomatoes should be able to stay there until hardening time.

Looking like 2 months from putting in garden, or there about.

Wow...you have a few that are having a hard time getting out of the gate, but once they do...BAM big green and beautiful! Sweet looking plants. You're gonna have your hands full here in a bit juggling them suckers until plant out. Keep them green brotha!
Shane

Wow...you have a few that are having a hard time getting out of the gate, but once they do...BAM big green and beautiful! Sweet looking plants. You're gonna have your hands full here in a bit juggling them suckers until plant out. Keep them green brotha!
Shane

Thanks man. I think some of my trouble was being new to the root riots and perhaps some over watering issues because of the condensation running to one end of the tray. Some from being too tight in the plugs. Now the sweets grew fantastic except for two varieties. Might have some bad seeds as well. Don't know what killed a couple cotys either. Still happy to this point though.

Juggling is going to get to be rough if spring is late again for sure. Having them in trays is going to make watering a lot easier than having them just in a pot on a shelf. Might end up that way if they continue to grow so fast. LOL.

Last trays of pot ups. The outside two were done today, the tray in the middle, earlier in the week.

03-14-2013_10.jpg

The last of the germination tray. Gave up on a lot of these.

03-14-2013_11.jpg

I know how frustrating it is when they don't germ. I even used different medium to try and get some varieties to pop. The ones that are up are gorgeous. I'm sure they will stay happy till plant out. What soil did you choose for your pot ups?

Everything's looking good! You have just about the same # of stragglers as I do. Honestly, I'm out of room, so it would probably be better if those last few didn't decide to germinate! :rofl:

I'm sorry you had so much trouble with the Root Riots. I feel bad since I recommended them. The only trouble I had with them was not potting things up fast enough. There's no nutrients in them, and I should have potted them up as soon as I saw roots coming through the bottom. I think I set some of my plants back, but they are starting to take off now, so all is well.

I know how frustrating it is when they don't germ. I even used different medium to try and get some varieties to pop. The ones that are up are gorgeous. I'm sure they will stay happy till plant out. What soil did you choose for your pot ups?

Thanks. Hoping the turning off the lights at night will be slowing these things down a bit.

All looking good so far BD... Have you lost your snow cover yet?

Snow is gone and its raining out today. Loved getting that last shot of a foot or so of snow, helped the garden out.

Everything is up and coming! Nice save on the Black Hungarian. Looking at the "abandoned tray," looks like they wanted to come up after all. Wishing you an early thaw and a frost-free early Spring!

The save was just lucky I think. It decided to live despite my efforts to kill it lol.

Everything's looking good! You have just about the same # of stragglers as I do. Honestly, I'm out of room, so it would probably be better if those last few didn't decide to germinate! :rofl:

I'm sorry you had so much trouble with the Root Riots. I feel bad since I recommended them. The only trouble I had with them was not potting things up fast enough. There's no nutrients in them, and I should have potted them up as soon as I saw roots coming through the bottom. I think I set some of my plants back, but they are starting to take off now, so all is well.

I'm not out of room yet, but when these things start needing two shelves instead of one because of their height, then I will be crunched. No need to feel bad it was lack of experience with these things. Last season I had no plants that lost their coty come back and I have had several this season do it. Even my Santa Fe is putting out a new leaf and I really wanted that plant to pop since it starts out sweet and ends with heat.

My losses were mainly not getting the seed head out of the hole and dying, lost a few to helmet heads (that always happens) and my water issue. The rest I think was a seed issue. When I can't get seeds to come up, the replants don't come up, and then my germ test doesn't sprout any, it has to be a the seeds. Going to pitch a great many seeds this season. Anything I got growing in the garden this year will have all the old seeds tossed this year.

Back