• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

CaneDog 2021

Well, here we go again.  The indoor offseason got away from me around the turn of the year, so I decided to shut things down and start clean with the new outdoor season. 

I dropped all the wilds, rocotos, baccatum, chinense and frutescens earlier this month and, excepting wilds, pretty much everything is up and growing.  One thing I did different this year was I didn't presoak seeds, except for a few wilds.  I checked the days-to-germinate for the first round varieties against how they did last year and, based on a quick look, it seems they were generally maybe a couple days slower, which is about what I'd expect.

Today, I transplanted all the baccatum (except Berry Amarillo) plus a few Moz Piri Piri (thanks Tybo!), which are sitting on top of the lights until they root in a bit and can go back below. 
20210228 T54 Tent.jpg

I'm upping my tomato game this season - or at least increasing the varieties.  Usually I just grow San Marzano and Moskvich, maybe the occasional other.  This season I'm branching out a bit more with the varieties, which include Black Krim and Opalka from Dragonsfire and a bunch from Sandia.  I figure tomatoes usually germinate easy enough, so I just stuck them in a humidome toward the back of the T5HO tent where I hope they'll be happy. 
20210228 Tomatoes.jpg

The other big task today was dropping all the annuum into the Coleman.  After this annuum round I'll have just a final 2 varieties I'm waiting for in the mail, then I'll be done starting peppers for the season.
20210228 GermAnnuun.jpg

The last bit of news is I lucked out and will have access to two 10' x 40' plots at the community garden this year, which will include the better-located one that was new to me last year.  I was concerned I'd have access to only 1 this season, which would have significantly decreased my grow.  Anyhow, I'm super happy to have all that space and I'm sure I'll find a way to make it seem like not quite enough ;)

Thanks to all who contributed seeds and otherwise to my grow this year.  I hope everyone blows the doors off it this summer!

CD

ahayastani said:
I'm actually surprised to see them that far north. Never too old to learn :)

I don't spot them often, but when I do, it usually is near Duranta erecta.

I've thought about growing some particular flowering plant for just that reason, but it's hard to commit the potential pepper space to another cause  :)

My neighbor at the community garden has a big flowering plant they seem to like, so I'll rely on the benefit from that at least for now.

Walchit said:
I've been webering, lol

Left this grill in Texas with my friend, it didn't want to leave the pool...

I can appreciate how it feels.

Things are starting to to kick into gear here. When I was watering at the gardens yesterday I noticed not only that many of the peppers are starting get big, but that there's lots of pod formation, too.  I need to make a trip in the very early morning soon so I can get some decent pictures as mid-day shots in the direct sun don't usually turn out too good.

A couple deck pepper developments I'm pretty stoked about.  I have a few F1 plants from crossing Mildfruit's Peruvian Giallo Arancio with Paul G's Aji Amarillo last summer and the first of the three is now blooming and setting pods.  Two of the plants showed an interesting growth habit of branching right away as seedlings, so I'll be interested to see if that is a trait of just a coincidence.

Aji Cross Flower
20210713 BacCrossF.jpg

Set pod
20210713 BacCrossS.jpg

Also, in their third summer the Tovarii brothers are finally getting it together and setting pods more than just sporadically.  I know other growers have had good production from year 1, but that simply wasn't the case for me.

A couple in this batch
20210713 Tov2.jpg

A few here
20210713 Tov3.jpg

And several from this bunch.  There's lots of this all over the plants, so the numbers are adding up!
20210713 Tov4.jpg

The plants at the community garden plots have really kicked it into gear recently.  It seems an annual thing that during early July they look way like they're way behind, but by the time August comes around they've put on the mass and are firing on all (or at least most) cylinders.

I built an extension on the baccatum bed so I could relocate the strawberries, opening up needed room at the far end.
20210720 BBedView.jpg

View in the opposite direction; the rocotos are getting bushy.
20210720 RBed.jpg

Hidalgo Serrano is laying on some pods
20210720 HSerrano.jpg

As is Pasilla
20210720 Pasilla.jpg

And Moz Piri Piri
20210720 MPiri.jpg

Puya/Pulla
20210720 Puya.jpg

Mulato Isleno is doing pretty well too, particularly with how big the pods will get
20210720 Mullato.jpg

And the Variegated Jalapeno looks like it's getting ready to produce soon - as are the ones at home.
20210720 VJ.jpg

On another note, seeds are sprouting for the indoor grow.  So far a few of the Thai's, both rocoto varieties, uncle E's NSR hybrid, and Paul G's Purple Thunder V2 are up.  Day 9 and just 3 more to go.  Feels like they're taking forever  :rolleyes:    :)

Purple Thunder V2 Trippaul Threat V2 F3 Red
20210720 PG PT V2R.jpg

Looks good, CD. 

Your Variegated Jalapeño is doing the same thing
mine are, sending up a ton of new branches, both
green and variegated.

BTW, the v2 F3 is a Trippaul Threat variety. The
Purple Thunder are either F4, mine, or F6, Glen’s 
Panama variety.

Keep up the good work, friend.

PaulG said:
Looks good, CD. 

Your Variegated Jalapeño is doing the same thing
mine are, sending up a ton of new branches, both
green and variegated.

BTW, the v2 F3 is a Trippaul Threat variety. The
Purple Thunder are either F4, mine, or F6, Glen’s 
Panama variety.

Keep up the good work, friend.

Thanks for the correct info, Mr. G. I remember now that you told me; it's just been a while.  It's a great looking sprout and the darkest of this indoor grow by a significant margin.  Hopefully those PdN genes won't push the limits my indoor height capacity!

CaneDog said:

Thanks for the correct info, Mr. G. I remember now that you told me; it's just been a while.  It's a great looking sprout and the darkest of this indoor grow by a significant margin.  Hopefully those PdN genes won't push the limits my indoor height capacity!
Meant to say that seedling is a real beauty.
Should become a dark purple beast when
it matures.

Here's a few of the pic's I took over the past 3 weeks while the site was being remodeled.

I'm growing out 5 F2's of Rocoto 1242 x Eximium 1491. My goal was to get the color and shape of the 1242 (burnt orange and a collar) with the high productivity of the 1491 and still a reasonable pod size. At least one of the plants is showing a decent sized pod and some of the collared-shape seems to be coming through too. Still waiting on pod color.

!2021-08-09 1242x1491-3.jpg
!2021-08-09 1242x1491.jpg

CAP 500 Eximium
! IMG.jpg

Peach Frutescens
! PeachFrutWac.jpg

! PeachFrutCU.jpg

Purple Flower Baccatum
!2021-08-09 PFB.jpg

PFB Pod
!20210731 PFBacc.jpg

San Isidro Rocoto
!20210806 SanIsidro.jpg

The Chile Rayado were just starting to flower toward the end of July and have lots of pods now. I was impressed with the flavor and heat of this jalapeno type last season.
!20210729 Rayado.jpg

And the dwarf serrano hidalgo finally set a pod - 3" container for scale. Picked up a hitchhiker too.
!20210806 SHidalgoDW.jpg

Last edited:
Superb plants and photos!

The Chile Rayado were just starting to flower toward the end of July and have lots of pods now. I was impressed with the flavor and heat of this jalapeno type last season.
I was unlucky with Rayado, all the plants died, even those from the seeds planted in the summer.
I would like some seeds if possible.

Thanks, guys. Good to be posting again and catching up with peeps after the break.
The Rayado sure is hirsute!

Yeah it is. I've thought of crossing it with a hidalgo serrano just because they're both so hairy, but I don't know that the the pods would offer anything better than having each, separately. Still might; I suppose I don't really need a compelling reason to experiment.

I was unlucky with Rayado, all the plants died, even those from the seeds planted in the summer.
I would like some seeds if possible.

Hey Sine. I'd be happy to hook you up with seeds. I had that Rayado bagged for the last week or so and just tagged several isolated pods. I think we already talked about it, but it really seems to love hot weather so with you getting a bit more of it than I do here in the PNW I bet it will do great for you the second time around.

been awhile since i could get on. But WOW your grow is looking incredible!

i salvaged a fair amount of plants from the aphid assault but i did lose many. the rayado jalapeno was one of them very disappointing.

what am i doing wrong with my lemon spice. your plant is huge compared to mine. although for a stubby plant they produce like no other. lol

my piri piri look about the same. i got the seeds from chilichump from youtube. excited to try them.

Really great grow,CAP 500 is looking great and lovely to see such a lovely Tovari plant growing beautifully.
The real star for me is the Serrano a real old land race variety lovely to see these days.Best.👍

been awhile since i could get on. But WOW your grow is looking incredible!
i salvaged a fair amount of plants from the aphid assault but i did lose many. the rayado jalapeno was one of them very disappointing.
what am i doing wrong with my lemon spice. your plant is huge compared to mine. although for a stubby plant they produce like no other. lol
my piri piri look about the same. i got the seeds from chilichump from youtube. excited to try them.
Hey man! Good to hear from you. The aphids really suck if they get at you indoors. I hope you salvaged plenty of good plants. Those lemon spice seem to have a lot of potential. I've seen pic's of them with easily 3x as many pods as that one - though still not too tall - so next year I'll really try to coax the most I can from them. These Moz Piri are the same source as yours. I got them from Tybo who got seeds from chili chump and split them with me. I've heard it's not as hot as some other piri piri and has a somewhat cayenne taste. I hope it's still got some pop to it and if not I suspect it could still make a good base for sauce.

Really great grow,CAP 500 is looking great and lovely to see such a lovely Tovari plant growing beautifully.
The real star for me is the Serrano a real old land race variety lovely to see these days.Best.👍
Thanks. Last season the 2 Tovarii grew huge with literally thousands of flowers between them and tons of pollen, but set few pods. This year they grew back more modestly, but set lots. Go figure :neutral:. I'm a big fan of the hidalgo serrano too. And it's outproducing the serrano tampiqueno, which kind of surprised me.

Kinda bummed. The dwarf hidalgo serrano fell off the deck and by the time I realized it yesterday, it wasn't salvageable :(

In happier news, The big 1242 x 1491 F3 pods are stabilizing around the size of ping pong balls. I'm hoping it has the off-orange color of the the 1242, but the smart money would certainly be on red.
20210825 1242x1491XL.jpg
20210825 1242x1491XL2.jpg

Flibu is setting well
20210825 Flibu.jpg

Even under the ISO bag
20210825 FlibuSetsac.jpg

Peach Frutescens is very productive.
2021-08-25 PeachFrut.jpg

And is starting to peachen
20210825 PeachFrut.jpg

I have only one papa dreadie this year; just a small one, but it should yield a dozen pods and some iso seeds
20210825 PDreadie.jpg

Bhuter's F5 Cinder
20210825 VCinder F5.jpg

The larger of the Zimbabwe Piri Piri at home is just starting to ripen
20210825 ZimPiri.jpg

At the community gardens I have two large ZIm Piri Piri. One showed a lot of anthocyanin as a young plant and, though the foliage looks normal now, the pods show dark streaks that I haven't seen in the zim piri piri during the couple years I've been growing it.
20210828 Zim Piri A.jpg

This is the other community garden piri piri. I grew it from seeds of a zim piri from last season that just looked a little different than the others, though my memory is the pods were indistinguishable. This season the pods show a light purple antho streak. It'll be interesting to compare the 3 different examples come harvest. I bagged each of them, so I'll have iso seeds to play with for whatever's.
20210828 Zim Piri S.jpg

The only good thing about the recent cool weather is some of the more finicky pubescens and purple corolla clade varieties started setting, like this USDA Cardenasii, which I have isolated off-site so all the pods will be true. At home I have lots of organza bags on various cardenasii, but find it challenging at times to get more than a handful of isolated pods bagging branches versus isolating the whole plant.
20210828 USDA Card ISO.jpg

Back