• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Capsidadburn 2013 Less is more

Hello everybody!
This year I will be growing much less than previous season's. I have been reducing my pepper growing for a couple years now. I am germinating under 20 varieties and a month later than last year. I have between 25 and 28 overwintered plants that are out currently, but not to far from the back door. I think I put the first plants in the ground last year late Feb. and early Mar. I do not expect to exceed 50 to 75 new starts this season. Along with my daughter I am growing some veggies, herbs, flowers, and a few fruit trees. I will do my best to keep the grow log lively and entertaining. As always lots of pictures of plants and pods, but also some cool nature, and a few extra distractions from time to time.

Hope everyone has a great season!

Germinating:

All from saved seeds except store pods and Mini Mini from Finland THP member

Cumari do Para iso
Yellow 7 pod (Brain like)
Douglah cross F2 (small red uniform)
Chocolate Hab
Yellow Scorpion CARDI
7 Pot White
7 Pot Barrackpore
Chocolate Bhut Jolokia
Douglah cross F2 (red)
Quintisho
Douglah cross F3 (Brownish- maroon with bonnett-habish shape)
Chocolate Trinidad Scorpion iso
"Funky" orange habs from HEB
Manzano from Fiesta pods
Super Chilli
Trinidad Congo Red
Purple Flash
Smiter Q pequin like pods
Mini Mini

I will list my overwinters soon, can''t remember.

Here are some pics;
Germinating began Feb. 3rd. The three cells in the corner were all up on day 6. Douglah cross F2 small fat red pointy. I might post a pic from last year to show their shape. All my crosses are accidental nature.
IMG_0813-Copy_zpsd22c186d.jpg

Meyer Lemon bloom smells a lot like Jasmin
IMG_0810-Copy_zpsa5a1bae8.jpg

Coming out of hibernation, overwinters
IMG_0786_zpsa1c8e3dc.jpg

Found this guy in a Mountain Laurel by my driveway. Western Screech Owl I believe
02761fe0-3bfe-483a-9a65-57bc2922b900_zpsfb18433f.jpg

Owl be back!

Awesome Mike! Tepin is loaded with pods! Like that yel cardi! I'm looking forward to mine.
Moruga blend is a nice pheno too!
Love the dragonflies! Wish i lived closer to water so i would see them around the house.
I'm with Matt! What do i need to sign, who do i need to call? Space tepins for everyone!

MGOLD86 said:
Where do I sign the petition to get you on that rock?  TRAVESTY! 

The garden is lookin good though, lovin that eggpant shot.  I keep saying I am gonna grow that variety but forget and then have no room...
Thanks Matt! They do need me on that rock! I think the asteroid they will try to capture would not have room for me to pitch a tent let alone gardening!

Spicegeist said:
The Douglah crosses sound really interesting, but it's hard to beat the looks of Choco Bhuts!  :hot: (this should be used more often)
Thanks Charles! It's hard to beat the Chocolate Bhut's production, it's great heat, and it's easy to dry!

Have a great day!
GA Growhead said:
Awesome Mike! Tepin is loaded with pods! Like that yel cardi! I'm looking forward to mine.
Moruga blend is a nice pheno too!
Love the dragonflies! Wish i lived closer to water so i would see them around the house.
I'm with Matt! What do i need to sign, who do i need to call? Space tepins for everyone!
Thanks Jason! I love the Tepin and the CARDI's production and color. My Moruga's looked great last year but were not as hot as they should be.

Later

Great photography Mike, beautiful grow, love the look of that cross Orange Hab you say is “radar dish like.” Great pic of the dragon fly's and damselfly ^_^

Great photo of your first egg plant, excellent work! Your Chocolate Bhut Jolokia looks gnarly, that’ll be a fun eat! Love the color of the F2 Douglah pods, very nice!!! Everything looks great, your Yellow Trinidad Scorpion CARDI pod is picture perfect, love the shape … dem seeds are keepers. Have a great week, I enjoyed catching up ^_^

WalkGood said:
Great photography Mike, beautiful grow, love the look of that cross Orange Hab you say is “radar dish like.” Great pic of the dragon fly's and damselfly ^_^

Great photo of your first egg plant, excellent work! Your Chocolate Bhut Jolokia looks gnarly, that’ll be a fun eat! Love the color of the F2 Douglah pods, very nice!!! Everything looks great, your Yellow Trinidad Scorpion CARDI pod is picture perfect, love the shape … dem seeds are keepers. Have a great week, I enjoyed catching up ^_^
Thanks Ramon for the awesome comments, and thanks for visiting!

Devv said:
Was the song writer you were speaking of last week Butch Morgan?
No his name was Russ Sommers.  I don't believe he play's anymore.

More Dragonfly's. 3 pics of a female Blue Dancer

A shy female Swift Setwing

Lacewing eggs again this season (beneficial)

Still waiting on Papaya!  10 feet tall will not fit on the back porch this winter.  I may have to dig a sunken floor shelter house.

We got 2 inches of rain this morning which is great because there are a couple forecasted 100 degree days  ahead.

Later Mike

Digging the plant and the dragonfly (gymnastic team) photog............. :cool: 

Nice close-ups of both.....the peppers got that crazy bumpiness going...cool ! Even the Orange Hab (x)

Zapotec......rules !     I see folks looking for the corked peppers in the markets here....some have them most don't.  Gary shot me some seeds, I have a few nice size plants growing.......the peppers remind me of the old days....that's how they always use to look, way back when.

I agree with Jamie keep the pictures flowing !

romy6 said:
 Just amazing MIke. Keep the pics coming!!!!!
Will do Jamie, Thanks!

Devv said:
Always enjoying the pics!
Thanks Scott!  Your grow is very inspiring!

PIC 1 said:
Digging the plant and the dragonfly (gymnastic team) photog............. :cool: 

Nice close-ups of both.....the peppers got that crazy bumpiness going...cool ! Even the Orange Hab (x)

Zapotec......rules !     I see folks looking for the corked peppers in the markets here....some have them most don't.  Gary shot me some seeds, I have a few nice size plants growing.......the peppers remind me of the old days....that's how they always use to look, way back when.

I agree with Jamie keep the pictures flowing !
Thank you Greg, I'll do my best!

meatfreak said:
Great pictures, especially the nature ones. Beautiful taken  :clap: Your pods all look amazing and gnarly as hell :D
Thanks very much, I appreciate that!

GA Growhead said:
Jealous of your dragonfly friends!
Glad you got some rain!
My moruga blends varied greatly and were not the hottest pods i had last season. That one looks nice, hope it's more inpressive.
Thanks Jason, I look forward to trying out the pods!

Another shot of the old Tepin taking in the sun.

Here is another Tepin not quite as old that has some sun tan going on.

Overwintered Aji Lima Rojo.  Easily my nicest looking ow just not putting out yet. Very prolific last year and great smoked/dried powder

Quintisho pods

Stevia plant. Just a curiosity grow.  I have pretty much abandoned sugar.  I use powdered and liquid stevia. One teaspoon of liquid equals a cup of sugar.

Cheers everybody!
Germinated this Desert Rose in 2011 I think.  Finally about to bloom

Very nice!

Plants look great! I'm still trying to figure out container growing...

I'm going to have to look into the Stevia plant, very interesting.

Scott, I forgot to mention that the liquid stevia (Nu Naturals is the brand  I bought and like) is very expensive (GNC store).  I was making a lot of jams last year and was planning on switching to the stevia. Using both powder and liquid. 

Sometimes I do well in containers and sometimes not.

Thanks!

More of my favorite ow Douglah cross and subsequent F2

F2.  The F1 ripened Red.  This one has the most shape deviation of the 3 F2's, but retains more of the Douglah appearance.  Very light green whiteish.

Female Kiowa Dancer damselfy

Have a great evening!
Mike

GA Growhead said:
Digging the shapes on the F2 douglah cross! Impressed with the knowledge of dragonflies, even if your are looking them up each time! :)
Me too Jason! 
I've been taken pics of the dragonfly's for a few years now.  First noticed them perching on my bamboo stakes, so I put out a lot more stakes spread out all over the backyard.  Most of them I can get close to but, sometimes they are skiddish.  I have a couple books and I got another for Father's day.  I do use the internet to verify my uncertain ones though.  My camera is about 6 to 8 inches from them before I lose focus.  Have to use manual focus cause the auto focus jumps back and forth to the background.  I desparately want to have a camera that I can get even closer pics with.

The damselfy that Stefan (MeatFreak) posted in his or Gary's glog, is one I do not know.  I looked at a lot of stuff from the Netherlands.

MGOLD86 said:
Nice looking Douglahs Mike!  They got a pretty gnarly shape to them and I bet they are smokin hot!
Thanks Matt!  Hopefully it won't be to long before finding that out. :onfire:

The Douglah's are looking great!

This is the second Douglah pic I've seen today that looks very similar to the weird Reaper I have. Perhaps it's the Daddy :D

Devv said:
The Douglah's are looking great!

This is the second Douglah pic I've seen today that looks very similar to the weird Reaper I have. Perhaps it's the Daddy :D
Thanks Scott!  Some of your Reapers are quite nasty and threatening in appearance!  I may have to grow some next year.

Friday evening was Summer Solstice.  There is a parade that happens in Austin for both soltices.  Here is a few pics of the evening.  A crowd gathers and follows the "Minor Mishap Marching Band" down to the lake and back with lots of stops along the way.

Boats gather along Barton Creek for the event.

Not the greatest night shot of the boats

I have a couple (bump) more and then back to peppers in a couple hours.

Band link;
http://minormishap.com/

Great pics mike, your tepins look great, I wonder if we could get some space dust to grow some tepins in, We're suppose to have a Super moon Sunday night might be interesting to get some photo's of it.
I like the Idea of using large container to hold your plants, This Fall I need to take down the fence around my raised beds so I can Rebuild them which will cost about $500 in lumber or I could spend half of that on containers and soil at least for most of them. Do you use the same soil every year or do you buy new soil and mix the old with it?
I have to add more soil on top of the old and raise the sides of the beds up,every year to boost the soil along with adding hardwood Charcoal to the soil mix.
I think by using large containers it would save some labor on my part and save my back, I hate using that little tiller that we have to work the beds with as it just about kills me every time I use it.

wildseed57 said:
Great pics mike, your tepins look great, I wonder if we could get some space dust to grow some tepins in, We're suppose to have a Super moon Sunday night might be interesting to get some photo's of it.
I like the Idea of using large container to hold your plants, This Fall I need to take down the fence around my raised beds so I can Rebuild them which will cost about $500 in lumber or I could spend half of that on containers and soil at least for most of them. Do you use the same soil every year or do you buy new soil and mix the old with it?
I have to add more soil on top of the old and raise the sides of the beds up,every year to boost the soil along with adding hardwood Charcoal to the soil mix.
I think by using large containers it would save some labor on my part and save my back, I hate using that little tiller that we have to work the beds with as it just about kills me every time I use it.
Thanks Wildseed!  I am familiar with Mtn Grove from driving thru it with my dad as a teen going to Arkansas.  I'm from Joplin.

I do add soil each year and have added composted hardwood too.  I understand about the back issues for sure!

Here is yet another Douglah cross from 2011 I think.  This was an OW F2 and I have some F3's this year just now podding.  It ripens kind of maroonish brown fairly thick flesh and very hot.

2011 pod slice

I suppose I need to assign numbers and or years to all these Douglah crosses I have.  An F2

A male Neon Skimmer

I asked my wife Carol, to take a pic of me next to this very cooperative dragonfly.  At the same time a hummingbird came swooping in to it thinking it was a red flower.  The hummingbird is a grey blurry blob in the upper left part of the pic.  Some kind of planet alignment to make this happen I think.  The humming bird was supprised to see the flower actually could fly too.

See ya tomorrow people
Mike

Back