• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Capsidadburn 2013 Less is more

Hello everybody!
This year I will be growing much less than previous season's. I have been reducing my pepper growing for a couple years now. I am germinating under 20 varieties and a month later than last year. I have between 25 and 28 overwintered plants that are out currently, but not to far from the back door. I think I put the first plants in the ground last year late Feb. and early Mar. I do not expect to exceed 50 to 75 new starts this season. Along with my daughter I am growing some veggies, herbs, flowers, and a few fruit trees. I will do my best to keep the grow log lively and entertaining. As always lots of pictures of plants and pods, but also some cool nature, and a few extra distractions from time to time.

Hope everyone has a great season!

Germinating:

All from saved seeds except store pods and Mini Mini from Finland THP member

Cumari do Para iso
Yellow 7 pod (Brain like)
Douglah cross F2 (small red uniform)
Chocolate Hab
Yellow Scorpion CARDI
7 Pot White
7 Pot Barrackpore
Chocolate Bhut Jolokia
Douglah cross F2 (red)
Quintisho
Douglah cross F3 (Brownish- maroon with bonnett-habish shape)
Chocolate Trinidad Scorpion iso
"Funky" orange habs from HEB
Manzano from Fiesta pods
Super Chilli
Trinidad Congo Red
Purple Flash
Smiter Q pequin like pods
Mini Mini

I will list my overwinters soon, can''t remember.

Here are some pics;
Germinating began Feb. 3rd. The three cells in the corner were all up on day 6. Douglah cross F2 small fat red pointy. I might post a pic from last year to show their shape. All my crosses are accidental nature.
IMG_0813-Copy_zpsd22c186d.jpg

Meyer Lemon bloom smells a lot like Jasmin
IMG_0810-Copy_zpsa5a1bae8.jpg

Coming out of hibernation, overwinters
IMG_0786_zpsa1c8e3dc.jpg

Found this guy in a Mountain Laurel by my driveway. Western Screech Owl I believe
02761fe0-3bfe-483a-9a65-57bc2922b900_zpsfb18433f.jpg

Owl be back!

Amazing shots of that neon Skimmer! I can see the blur, funny timing. The wing detail is awesome!
I am a bit confused with your douglah crosses, but im sure you got it figured. Those there look like they drip with gravity, some to a pointy tail. Pretty cool shaped!

Nice updates Mike!

Like that humming bird shot, we have a few around here that are hard to catch, they dart back and forth.

SO what lens do you have on that D60? It's got to be better than mine, I can only get 1.3 feet away for close ups. The macro I want is like $450.00, cheaper to buy one of the better point and shoots for 2 bills..

Keep up the great work everything looks wonderful!

GA Growhead said:
Amazing shots of that neon Skimmer! I can see the blur, funny timing. The wing detail is awesome!
I am a bit confused with your douglah crosses, but im sure you got it figured. Those there look like they drip with gravity, some to a pointy tail. Pretty cool shaped!
Thanks Jason.  Without the tags on some of the OW's I would get lost too!  I think people could refer to them better if I was a little more organized.  Of the 3 varied shapes on these F2's I like this one the best.

Devv said:
Nice updates Mike!

Like that humming bird shot, we have a few around here that are hard to catch, they dart back and forth.

SO what lens do you have on that D60? It's got to be better than mine, I can only get 1.3 feet away for close ups. The macro I want is like $450.00, cheaper to buy one of the better point and shoots for 2 bills..

Keep up the great work everything looks wonderful!
Thanks Scott.  It has a 28-90mm zoom on it.  I bought it used from a coworker slash wedding photographer who did not like how slow it can be.  It was / is my first digital and that took some getting used to.  I want something smaller and able to shoot thru the microscopes I have for rock thin sections or the microbial activity in soil.  The structure of compost tea microbes is pretty cool but hard to document.

What I like about the D60 is manual mode, mine has a Tamron 28-300 lens. Geese that rig was expensive in 2003!

Not sure about how to shoot through a microscope, sounds interesting!

Devv said:
What I like about the D60 is manual mode, mine has a Tamron 28-300 lens. Geese that rig was expensive in 2003!

Not sure about how to shoot through a microscope, sounds interesting!
Agreed Scott, about the manual mode. Your lens is intimidating! I don't doubt the cost for sure. Hopefully I can dig up some images I have on disk somewhere.

Here's a few pics. Orange habs with bhut looking genes

Orange habs or bonnets

Another Orange hab or scotch bonnet

Cumari sunset

Desert Rose bloom, pic by my daughter

Swift Setwing female

A female Blue Dancer

Have a great day!
Mike

Great pod shots! Those do look like bonnets, and the gnarly habs are looking sweet!!

I have some Orange habs that don't really look "habby" at this point...guess time will tell.

Always liking the Dragonfly picks!

Devv said:
Great pod shots! Those do look like bonnets, and the gnarly habs are looking sweet!!

I have some Orange habs that don't really look "habby" at this point...guess time will tell.

Always liking the Dragonfly picks!
Thanks Scott, Some are starting to ripen so in a few days I should have some color pics.

Here is a pic from a place I found in Austin. My diet says no but my brain says go! They have a website

Something else I forgot to mention this morning. When I let the cat out at 5:30 am of course it's still dark out, a glance over at my plants, I thought I saw an overwinter holding a calculator. I heard what sounded like arguing about trig functions. I think a first year douglah cross was being schooled. It might have been a smart phone I'm not sure.

I guess it's true about what the are saying that plants do math. We all use math every day. Math is your friend I always say!

http://www.kxan.com/subindex/weather/forecasts
It has arrived, time for screens and universal dread. Actually if the night time temps stay in the mid 70's I'll be happy. Hoping for a mild summer!

How do you know when you've found "the one" when you are looking in the soil matrix for fungi? When you have Neosporin!

Wow Mike, your forecast is 2 dgrees hotter than ours. So what do you do to keep things running this time of year?

Just hope to keep them alive?

I'm a little worried..

Devv said:
Wow Mike, your forecast is 2 dgrees hotter than ours. So what do you do to keep things running this time of year?

Just hope to keep them alive?

I'm a little worried..
It is kind of stressful for me.  The drip irrigation (daily, 6 minutes) allows me to spend time looking for aphid problems or hornworms occasional mealy bugs.  When it's cooler I deal with them that I find.   I hand water from aged water barrel (24 hours or more)  in the hot afternoon.  My drip is filtered but not ideal.  The dragonfly's do take my mind off the heat.  I tend to obsess about learning different things.  I will get my screens up soon and they help in the heat of the day but I've learned that the hot nights take their toll eventually.  When I move someday I will have a morning and mid-day sun garden.  My mid- day and afternoon sun is a big part of my problem.  I put some in the shade, but cant move them all nor the raised beds.  So I'll make do.  I hope the number of 100 degree days stays between 35 and 45.  Mid September usually starts back to normal.  It's a pretty good dent in the season and that why overwinter's are so key.

Aside from my stress I tend to post nutty things as a coping mech I guess.
Thanks Scott!

7 pot Barrackpore first year

A better Swift Setwing pic. female

male Common Whitetail

male Widow Skimmer, only pic I could get

Chocolate Bhuts

Chocolate Habs

Later folks!

Mike, your garden is very interesting.  Your OW's are really nice.  I have a
2nd year WT Tepin, Manzano, Fatali, and a Wild Brazil that all are pretty
healthy for first attempts.  I hope I can keep them going like yours!  And
the Generations of crosses are cool, too.  I started quite a few from harvested
seed this year, and am looking forward to seeing what kind of pods they all
produce.  This Spring has already thrown in a surprise of two!

Continued success, bro!

Sawyer said:
Dang, all out of "likes".  How do you tell the difference between a male and female dragon fly?
John, It starts with a book and then another and pretty soon you can tell if they are immature or adults.  It's easy if someone else has already done the hard work of identifying these and you just look at the pictures.  One of these things is not like the other.  There are usually noticable differences like color or size/shape.

PaulG said:
Mike, your garden is very interesting.  Your OW's are really nice.  I have a
2nd year WT Tepin, Manzano, Fatali, and a Wild Brazil that all are pretty
healthy for first attempts.  I hope I can keep them going like yours!  And
the Generations of crosses are cool, too.  I started quite a few from harvested
seed this year, and am looking forward to seeing what kind of pods they all
produce.  This Spring has already thrown in a surprise of two!

Continued success, bro!
Thank you so much Paul!  Very appreciated.  Best of luck with your season.  I know you'll make the most of it.

Ah, I thought maybe there was some specific shape or structure you looked for that was a distinguishing feature for all species.  I guess they're more like birds in that regard, though; you just gotta know.

Devv said:
As usual fantastic pics of those Dragonfly's! 

I never even see them in my garden, maybe it's too dry here.

The Choc Bhut is mas gnarly!
Thanks Scott!  Dry might be a problem.  Damselflies wil lay eggs in rain barrels or big containers.   I live about 2 or 3 blocks from a creek but there are drainage fields and greenbelt wooded areas closer.  I have always wanted to build a pond fountain for other reasons, now I want one to promote local dragonfly's.  I'm just not into doing that at this house.  Aside from their natural beauty they fill up on mosquito's.
cropped image of a male Neon Skimmer

If anyone is interested, this is where I learn from.   There is a 2011 John Abbott book that I still do not have.

I bought some manzano peppers today at Fiesta market.  I am going to sneak a couple into my recipe for eggplant chutney this weekend.  Very exciting!  Pics will happen...

Awesome pics per usual Mike. Plants look like they are bothered by the heat yet.
  :dance:

I think you sacred of all my dragonfly's. Since I have been looking for them to capture none to be found. They must all be in Tejas  ;)

romy6 said:
Awesome pics per usual Mike. Plants look like they are bothered by the heat yet.
  :dance:

I think you sacred of all my dragonfly's. Since I have been looking for them to capture none to be found. They must all be in Tejas  ;)
Thanks Jamie, I see hundreds of them in my neighbors yard in the evening, a large grassy sunlit area that I believe has a lot of those swarm gnats and they fly through with their mouth open free for all. When they hit my fence line they turn and go back like a force field blocked them. I've put a few bamboo sticks on the fence just to capture a few. I see a lot of species I don't have pics of yet.

Since I am still getting new pods setting and no noticeable bloom drop or aborts I would say no at this point. I will get the screens up soon. The anoles and lizards always show up when I put the screens on.

Later Mike

romy6 said:
Can I get an order of bacon to go Mikey  ;)

This year I am focusing on stronger roots( lots of liqiud seaweed and mycorrhiza)  so I have had less wilt from the heat. Hopefully it will stay that way but ya never know  :rolleyes:
I will have to get a better look at that place!

I use the Great White Mychoriza and another root accelerator on my overwinters. I saw great benefit from that last year. To expensive to use on all my plants but try to use a little Fox Farm Ocean forest on everything else. I do occasional fish emulsions and foliar Tea extract. see link if curious.
http://www.microbialearth.com/microbial-earth-extract-1-gallon/
I used worm compost from these people last year which my horticulture hydro shop guy say's is off the charts amazing microbial activity. While I do like brewing the tea, this is so much simpler for me. I take a container with me to his shop and he fills it with fresh brew if he is out of this product.

That tea extract looks good, Mike.  Do you apply full strength?  It says
a gallon covers 10,000 sq. ft., so I'm thinking just put some in a spray
bottle and spray away.  I guess you'd have to add a smaller amount of
activator to the tea in the spray bottle.

Back