• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Capsidadburn 2013 Less is more

Hello everybody!
This year I will be growing much less than previous season's. I have been reducing my pepper growing for a couple years now. I am germinating under 20 varieties and a month later than last year. I have between 25 and 28 overwintered plants that are out currently, but not to far from the back door. I think I put the first plants in the ground last year late Feb. and early Mar. I do not expect to exceed 50 to 75 new starts this season. Along with my daughter I am growing some veggies, herbs, flowers, and a few fruit trees. I will do my best to keep the grow log lively and entertaining. As always lots of pictures of plants and pods, but also some cool nature, and a few extra distractions from time to time.

Hope everyone has a great season!

Germinating:

All from saved seeds except store pods and Mini Mini from Finland THP member

Cumari do Para iso
Yellow 7 pod (Brain like)
Douglah cross F2 (small red uniform)
Chocolate Hab
Yellow Scorpion CARDI
7 Pot White
7 Pot Barrackpore
Chocolate Bhut Jolokia
Douglah cross F2 (red)
Quintisho
Douglah cross F3 (Brownish- maroon with bonnett-habish shape)
Chocolate Trinidad Scorpion iso
"Funky" orange habs from HEB
Manzano from Fiesta pods
Super Chilli
Trinidad Congo Red
Purple Flash
Smiter Q pequin like pods
Mini Mini

I will list my overwinters soon, can''t remember.

Here are some pics;
Germinating began Feb. 3rd. The three cells in the corner were all up on day 6. Douglah cross F2 small fat red pointy. I might post a pic from last year to show their shape. All my crosses are accidental nature.
IMG_0813-Copy_zpsd22c186d.jpg

Meyer Lemon bloom smells a lot like Jasmin
IMG_0810-Copy_zpsa5a1bae8.jpg

Coming out of hibernation, overwinters
IMG_0786_zpsa1c8e3dc.jpg

Found this guy in a Mountain Laurel by my driveway. Western Screech Owl I believe
02761fe0-3bfe-483a-9a65-57bc2922b900_zpsfb18433f.jpg

Owl be back!

That's correct Paul. I add the activator around 5 pm and put it in the pump sprayer and apply at around 7 pm. Any left over goes on the grass.

Would it be feasible to mix a quart at a time?  I have so few plants,
less than 40, that I couldn't use a gallon all at once.

I can't imagine that being a problem. Just divide your activator into 4 piles. If you like I'll check with the place I buy from. Sean at 3rd Coast Horticulture in Austin, but can't until tomorrow.

Mike

capsidadburn said:
I can't imagine that being a problem. Just divide your activator into 4 piles. If you like I'll check with the place I buy from. Sean at 3rd Coast Horticulture in Austin, but can't until tomorrow.

Mike
That was sort of my thinking.  
I guess it's really not rocket science!
Half a spray bottle will cover just about all my plants - 
I may have to make 8 piles!  Weighing out 1/8 would
probably be more precise.  After looking at your plants,
I would have to say it works!

Thanks Paul!  I may stop by the 3rd Coast shop Saturday for some tea.

A few pods shots before the Eggplant Chutney fest at my house this weekend.

Aji Lima Rojo pod

Tepins are starting to ripen and I'm having some bird problems.  I have a couple of OW Chaco's near my fence that I sacrifice to the birds cause I don't much like the taste.  This plus our cats is usually sufficient.  There are no pods on the Chaco's as I've mostly  ignored them.

OW Douglah cross 2012 F1 starting to ripen

Quintisho pods

Wing detail close up

Have a good weekend folks!
Mike

millworkman said:
Great pictures as always mike!
Thank you Noah!

I am very exhausted from my chutney experience!  It is delicious, My wife and daughter both claim that none will leave the house!  I will post the recipe in the morning and the book I got it from.

No prep pics really though.  Eggplant Chutney mixed ingredients not cooked

After cooking

Made 7 and 3/4 pints

Was planning on grilling fish and chicken w/ rice for a proper trial but I surrender today and will take the appropriate charge tomorrow!

See you folks tomorrow!
Mike

The recipe is from the book "Putting up more" by Stephen Palmer Dowdney

1/2 pd each Chinese and Japanese egg plant cut into 1/2 inch cubes (I used Chinese, Canadian, and Spainish totaling 1 pd)

3/4 pd red bell pepper, large diced

3/4 pd yellow bell pepper, large diced  (I added some orange Manzano pepper here staying in the quantity)

1/2 pd yellow squash, 1/2 inch cubes

1/2 pd zucchini, 1/2 inch cubes (I used a summer squash and Tatume)

1/2 pd red onion, diced

1/2 pd sun dried tomatos, meddium chopped

3/4 cup sliced jalapenos

1 Tablespoon minced garlic

2 Tblsp tightly  packed fresh Thyme

1 1/2 Tblsp tightly packed fresh oregano

2 Tblsp tightly packed fresh basil

1 Tblsp coarsely ground black pepper

1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil

2 pds light brown sugar

4 cups balsamic vinegar

makes 7 to 9 pints.  my initial ph was around 3.0 and looks around 2.5ish final.

combine all ingredients in a nonreactive pot, place on high heat, bring mixture to 205 F stirring often while allowing to thicken.

Hot pack in sterile jars, seal and invert for 2 minutes minimum

The authur mentions his business made many products but if he had to "get out of dodge in a hurry", this is what he would pack.

Have a great day people, we actually had a rain shower this morning and it's headed south Devv!

Later

I had to google Chutney, looks great!

Pics are super as usual!

Yeah that rain is close but looks like it's slipping East of us....windy as all heck though! Sure beats the 105 we had yesterday! Fingers are crossed!

Devv said:
I had to google Chutney, looks great!

Pics are super as usual!

Yeah that rain is close but looks like it's slipping East of us....windy as all heck though! Sure beats the 105 we had yesterday! Fingers are crossed!
Thanks Scott, it is great!  A lot of work and a little costly due to the balsamic vinegar but worth it in the end.   Love the freaky cooler mornings we've had recently!

Well today is my 26th anniversary!  My wife Carol has to work today so no fireworks instore for her, so we snuck out for an evening at Torchy's Tacos yesterday.  Yumm.  I don't know how far they have reached nationally, but I think they started as a food truck.  Always long lines for their fixin's.  Several of them in the Austin area.

Ripening up.  Douglah cross 2012 F1

Quintisho C. chinense and close up pod

Sphinx moth

Moruga blend Scorpion

Dragonfly close up

Happy 4th everyone!

Ripe pods!
I saw my first dragonfly in the yard the other day. Tryed to get a picture but had th camera still on macro so did not work out. He/she rested in the bamboo plant supports and checked me out hard. I was still happy to just have been visited.

Happy anniversary! Mine was on the 2nd.

GA Growhead said:
Ripe pods!
I saw my first dragonfly in the yard the other day. Tryed to get a picture but had th camera still on macro so did not work out. He/she rested in the bamboo plant supports and checked me out hard. I was still happy to just have been visited.

Happy anniversary! Mine was on the 2nd.
Thanks Jason, and happy anniversary!  Yeah there is nothing worse than not having your camera on the right settings while they fly away.  Some are more comfortable than others with getting their pic taken.  I usually take pics early as I approach them slowly till I get as close as possible.  Mainly because I want to know what kind it is if it's new to me but also they might become more used to the camera noise.

Good luck!

Had nearly 3/4 inchs of rain yesterday morning. Yay!
My shade structures made it up finally over the overwinters.

Pod progression for the above ow plant.  The color on the unripe pod should have some slight green to it.   Tomorrow I'll post the F2's

The shade train has arrived at the station.

Cheers good folk of THP!

Because I made some chutney a few weeks back here is a news article that is a little scary. Why ph testing is very important. Exploding Chutney link;
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/10161647/Exploding-rhubarb-chutney-wrecks-retirement-flat.html

Douglah F2a cross that is neat looking but lacked the heat of the F1. Still cool to imagine overwintering this to see it loaded down with these "ornaments"

Douglah F2b cross that is also cool looking that either retains some erratic douglah traits or possibly from the male parent which could be Bih Jolokia. Not as hot as the F1

Douglah F2c cross that is similar in shape to the F1 and a lot hotter.

Wing close up of male Widow Skimmer

A star is born

Have a good day!
GA Growhead said:
Shade train. lol! Looking good there Mike!
Thanks Jason!

Happy Anniversary Mike!

I've been out of state, funny it was cooler here in Tejas than in NY, seems like that happens every visit.

Love the photography! You definitely have a talent there!

Grow looks wonderful and poddage!

Shade cloth is a big bonus down here eh?

Keep up the great glog!

Scott

Devv said:
Happy Anniversary Mike!

I've been out of state, funny it was cooler here in Tejas than in NY, seems like that happens every visit.

Love the photography! You definitely have a talent there!

Grow looks wonderful and poddage!

Shade cloth is a big bonus down here eh?

Keep up the great glog!

Scott
Thanks Scott!  Hope you had a good time in NY.  Looking forward to the chance of rain next week.  104 F Tomorrow here.

Here's a few pics from today.  This Choc Bhut is finally ripe.

This is a 7 Pot Barrackpore that is ripening different than my plants did last year.  It is yellow and some orangeish.  I will see if it continues to change.  Orange to red last year.

Harvest assortment

Basket o chinense heat

Orange habs or Bonnets

Cross F2a

Female Widow Skimmer

Great weekend people!

Back