• We welcome content that is not political, divisive, or offensive. If we feel your content leans this way or has the potential to, it may be removed at any time. A hot pepper forum is not the place for such content. Thank you for respecting the community!

Carnivorous Plants

Oh God! Wait, I'm so confused now. I saw the avatar and thought that was you IGG! I was thinking to myself, "When the hell did IGGY have kids? I've heard no mention of them!

FiveStar said:
Oh God! Wait, I'm so confused now. I saw the avatar and thought that was you IGG! I was thinking to myself, "When the hell did IGGY have kids? I've heard no mention of them!

Hehehehe, and the fun begins! :hell:

FiveStar said:
"When the hell did IGGY have kids? I've heard no mention of them!
Oh, and they aren't my kids, they are clones of me aging in special tanks....

millworkman said:
I think it is time for everyone to post updated pictures of their plants.

I think we should all go back to pictures of me. That was a fun time were everyone was confused.

So...anyone have a link to decent quality and CHEAP VFT or other similarly easy to grow CP? I have had a death in the fish family and now have an ideal container to grow some cool CP.

I might just go to Five Below and get some of the el cheapo "grow your own" eggs and just use my own setup.

fineexampl said:
So...anyone have a link to decent quality and CHEAP VFT or other similarly easy to grow CP? I have had a death in the fish family and now have an ideal container to grow some cool CP.

I might just go to Five Below and get some of the el cheapo "grow your own" eggs and just use my own setup.

The best place I've EVER found is Cooks Carnivorous Plants

imaguitargod said:
The best place I've EVER found is Cooks Carnivorous Plants
while i have this site bookmarked, i broke down and bought a healthy looking VFT today while getting some plant stuff.

6734_109205823093_616883093_2055516_2672435_n.jpg

6734_109183458093_616883093_2055256_6049611_n.jpg

imaguitargod said:
Yes it is. If conditions are right, you'll have that tank filled in a few months time.
that's good to hear! i'm thinking of going back for the drosera soon, but i need to find a good supply of moss. looking at bare soil is boring.

almost all the traps opened back up today. very cool little plant i have to say.

fineexampl said:
that's good to hear! i'm thinking of going back for the drosera soon, but i need to find a good supply of moss. looking at bare soil is boring.

almost all the traps opened back up today. very cool little plant i have to say.
Live sphagnum moss is very hard to find locally.

The flytrap got it's first big meal today. I found a couple nice beetles for it to munch on. One question though. I notice one of the heads looks yellowed and has a dead bug inside. This is dead right? should i remove the leaf or just the head? I'd assume the whole leaf.

edit: i plucked the dead leaf entirely.

foundsome nice healthy bugs too. :)

lost another head today. it wasn't doing well from the get-go, so i'm not worried. the new heads that were coming in have gotten bigger and one looks like mini "mouth" already. after reading up, the beetles weren't a great choice, but live and learn. it did get a nice baby grasshopper, some weird flying bug, and other assorted yumminess. All traps are closed and well fed. Exciting times caring for a flytrap. :)

Some updates of my plants.

This guy was all black a month and half ago

IMG_3466.jpg

IMG_3469.jpg

This one came off the roots of the one above

IMG_3467.jpg

And to show size, my size nine foot.

IMG_3468.jpg

How wet is too wet for a flytrap? I don't yet have any drainage in my trap-tank and i'm curious as to whether i'm watering enough. Also, what do you all do about mold? i was away for a couple days and never set a light timer on the traps and came back to a little mold. It seems to have gone away with light back on the plants, but i'm concerned.

What would make a FED trap open with the dead bug still inside? Does this just mean the nutrients were all eaten?

i lost a few heads, but i have tons of new heads growing in, one of which has opened it's little head. So, yay for that, but what can i do to keep them from dyin off? Is this just transplant shock?

Should i invest in a small heating pad?

Ugh, this is going to be alot of typing...

fineexampl said:
How wet is too wet for a flytrap? I don't yet have any drainage in my trap-tank and i'm curious as to whether i'm watering enough. Also, what do you all do about mold? i was away for a couple days and never set a light timer on the traps and came back to a little mold. It seems to have gone away with light back on the plants, but i'm concerned.
You should be concerned. They are a plant, and like plants produce waste. If there is no drainage they sit in their own waste and eventually die. Also, sopping wet soil isn't a good thing, you want moist.

For my vivarium, I designed a little lake where all the excess water went and I was able to suck it out using a turkey bastor.

fineexampl said:
What would make a FED trap open with the dead bug still inside? Does this just mean the nutrients were all eaten?
Many different facotrs. But mainly enough nutrients were extracted or the leaf has exhausted it's reserve of digestive enzimes (in which case it'll die in a few days).

fineexampl said:
So, yay for that, but what can i do to keep them from dyin off? Is this just transplant shock?
Nothing. The heads are just leaves. Leaves die eventually. As long as you have new leaves, don't worry. But also, trim off the dead leaves, they tend to mold.

fineexampl said:
Should i invest in a small heating pad?
Depends on how cold your place is.

Oh, and Millworkman, throw the plant in pic #1 into a bigger pot, and picture #2 is the color you want plant #1 to be. Do you have them under the same light? (either way, they are healthy, I'm just nitpicking)

Back