• We welcome content that is not political, divisive, or offensive. If we feel your content leans this way or has the potential to, it may be removed at any time. A hot pepper forum is not the place for such content. Thank you for respecting the community!

Carnivorous Plants

rainbowberry said:
I must admit though I do give it cooled boiled water to drink.
That'll work. Distilled water is best, but what you're doing is just as good.

chilehunter said:
yea alot of us here blame IGG for something :P be it VFT, beer, eating naga's, etc.... whats next ? you gonna get a pet monkey :lol:
I'd never get a monkey. They are mean little guys. Now a platypus....probably.

yea I'd never get a monkey either, cuz they can get into & do damn near anything you can do.
I heard chimpanzees can be mean sometimes, though thats not saying much cuz in the wild they'll attack/kill/eat other chimpanzee colonies.

Pitcher plant from Newfoundland.

It's carnivorous, but IGG doesn't have to worry, it don't eat s***

crop_0033.jpg

another one bites the dust, MWM welcome to the VFT club :lol: the plant looks healthy.

hey Iggy you ever see something like this ? instead of flowering it sprouted traps.

DSCF2544.jpg

chilehunter said:
another one bites the dust, MWM welcome to the VFT club :lol: the plant looks healthy.

hey Iggy you ever see something like this ? instead of flowering it sprouted traps.
Yep, seen it (I've actually seen almost everything when it comes to these plants :lol: ). Usually that's a sign of too high humidity levels.

Cut the sucker off and plant it, you've got a new plant!

Guitar god

hey man can i get a VFT seed off of you. some how. i really want to grow some. idk why exzactyl but would like to grow a really big one.

Noshownate said:
hey man can i get a VFT seed off of you. some how. i really want to grow some. idk why exzactyl but would like to grow a really big one.

I have no seeds up for trade/sale/give away :( . Sorry. But there are many a sources on the net for them.

imaguitargod said:
I have no seeds up for trade/sale/give away :( . Sorry. But there are many a sources on the net for them.

Dood I need to get one of these plants! I picked up a phototron because it was cheap and tried to save a dying bhut, but after 3 weeks I think i'm gonna give up on the thing and just keep the 1 that I have left. Based on the needs of the plant a phototron would work perfect. Full of peat moss, retains a LOT of moisture, has a ton of light, almost full contained for feedings and not big enough for other full size plants like peppers. Can you post some good sources for plants? I think something that grows UP instead of out would be a good fit. The phototron is only 16" wide, but 32" tall.

LGHT said:
Dood I need to get one of these plants! I picked up a phototron because it was cheap and tried to save a dying bhut, but after 3 weeks I think i'm gonna give up on the thing and just keep the 1 that I have left. Based on the needs of the plant a phototron would work perfect. Full of peat moss, retains a LOT of moisture, has a ton of light, almost full contained for feedings and not big enough for other full size plants like peppers. Can you post some good sources for plants? I think something that grows UP instead of out would be a good fit. The phototron is only 16" wide, but 32" tall.

Cook's Carnivorous Plants is the best place I've delt with. Great guy.

LGHT said:
Thanks! I'll check them out. If you had to pick a plant or a group of plants to fit in the phototron what would you get?

Well, alot of your Nepenthis varieties will outgrow that thing quickly. If you are keeping high humidity, some Drosera would be nice. You want them to get big, so I would say Drosera binata "Marston Dragon" (reeeeaaaallllyyy cool), Drosera filiformis.

Then again, you can go with "low action" CP's like good old Sarracenia leucophylla.

Thanks for the link IGG. I was going to ask if you had a source as one of the grandsons wants a VFT and we can't find them in an extended shopping trip so ordering will be the way to go.

I found this Pitcher Plant at my local Lowes on 7-5-09 I am so thrilled to have found it and my kids check the pitchers everyday
pitcherplant.jpg

IGGY spawned? Noooooooooooooooo GOD HELP US ALLL!!!!!!!!!!

J/K :lol: Nice pitcher dude! I sure wish our Lowes had plants like that! The coolest think I've found at a Lowes was a Black Pearl plant.

Back