• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Carolina Reaper (HP22B) Community Grow

A few members including myself are growing seeds for this variety ASAP. I and a few others here on THP thought it would be fun to have a "community glog" strictly for this variety, a fun thread about the HP22B and growing this pepper for the first time.

I think we should start a community glog like this anytime there is a new pepper with alot of attention and alot of people growing it, possible world record holder or not. It would be fun, and this should be fun! That's why we all love this hobby is it not?

Therefore, this will be a drama-free, controversy-free, fun glog for all of us growers and others to enjoy. If you grow, please chime in. If you're growing this variety, please post pictures and chime in about your observations.

Again.. This thread is ment to be fun and informative, but mostly fun :)
Please. Pretty please with sugar on top.. lol. Keep it drama-free.
I, and many others would really appreciate this thread to stay that way.

Now lets get to growing!

IMG_3008.jpg

I went with the paper towel method for this guy just like I have with all my mid-season starts. It is far from my favorite way to germinate seeds but I'm in no hurry this time of year which is why I went this route. I've had the seeds in the paper towel for about a week now on top of my HOT5 lighting closet. The seeds should be showing root tips soon, then they will be visiting some real soil :D

How's it going for everyone else?

Brandon

mmcdermott1 said:
And the only fight I have is that the whole reaper thing is getting old. Every time someone comes out with a new pepper it's the same thing. If you don't like the reaper or you don't like Ed, it's simple...don't buy the reaper and don't buy from Ed and move on.
Personally I think myself and other got hosed on jigsaws but I'm not all over the place bashing jukka. Shit happens. Move on.

I'm not quite sure yet what dog you have in this fight but why try and stifle peoples freedom of speech.

Mike, you seem like a decent guy and I am saying this with all respect. You should take your own advice and move on. You run a business, have a family and all you've been doing the past 3-4+ days is defending (which I don't have a problem with, it's your free will to do so) Ed and his product. Which it seems that most everyone (on this thread and the other) want to hear from Ed and Ed alone, or possibly Pepper Joe, who was his (Ed's) biggest promoter and seed vendor. Otherwise, this conversation/thread is going to go nowhere...on either end. Whether it be you listening/agreeing with them or the other way around. Your time would be better spent in many other ways (this going to both sides) but everyone has free will to do as they please.

My Reaper is growing true to type (I didn't buy seeds, they were given to me as well as I won a packet through a PJ contest) (I'll post a pic soon) but, after seeing all of the pics from this site alone (other sites like this one seemingly might be having the same conversations with the same results) this pepper (to me) is not stable. There has been talk about Ed "selecting for taste and heat" well when you are selecting for this, you would inherently be selecting for pod shape as well. (If it were any other way, the pod shape would not have been showcased the way it was. There was no talk of varying pod shape and everyone was led to believe that when you ordered CR seeds, you were going to get "CR" as shown, pod shape.) there is varying pod shapes in 99% of pepper varieties but not to the extent of the CR, nor the frequency (if it were a stable variety)

I can also concur with Pepper Rich (from experience) that when you order BrainStrain seeds from Cappy, that is what you are going to get. Uniform pod shape and consistency.

As for the legalities of the rumors, I think we have covered what is out there pretty well and for the most part are all in concencius that Ed has "Ed's Smokin Carolina Reaper" TM'd but not exclusively "Carolina Reaper" and he has no PVP nor does it seem he has applied. Everyone who wants to use this product for profit should either be satisfied with what's been researched and posted or they should take it further with their own research for peace of mind.

Ed has a product here that I feel he believes is too big to need personal defending. Whether the claims are warranted or not. I don't see anyone here bashing him with the purpose of making profit or more so decreasing Ed's profit by doing so. This is a group of people that is either a) small business trying to sell a product that has no transperancy, or b) Hobby growers that spent good money on a very Hyped up pepper (by PJ AND Ed)

People want answers and if they don't get them, this is what will happen, a mile long thread with a bunch of talk that most cannot be backed by fact due to the lack of the creators input.

I believe that EVERYONE on this thread should email Ed and ask te questions that you might have. Then we can all come back and discuss what we've found out. This is the way to the truth of the mater and real transperancy when it comes to Ed and the CR.

3/5King said:
Mike, you seem like a decent guy and I am saying this with all respect. You should take your own advice and move on. You run a business, have a family and all you've been doing the past 3-4+ days is defending (which I don't have a problem with, it's your free will to do so) Ed and his product. Which it seems that most everyone (on this thread and the other) want to hear from Ed and Ed alone, or possibly Pepper Joe, who was his (Ed's) biggest promoter and seed vendor. Otherwise, this conversation/thread is going to go nowhere...on either end. Whether it be you listening/agreeing with them or the other way around. Your time would be better spent in many other ways (this going to both sides) but everyone has free will to do as they please.

My Reaper is growing true to type (I didn't buy seeds, they were given to me as well as I won a packet through a PJ contest) (I'll post a pic soon) but, after seeing all of the pics from this site alone (other sites like this one seemingly might be having the same conversations with the same results) this pepper (to me) is not stable. There has been talk about Ed "selecting for taste and heat" well when you are selecting for this, you would inherently be selecting for pod shape as well. (If it were any other way, the pod shape would not have been showcased the way it was. There was no talk of varying pod shape and everyone was led to believe that when you ordered CR seeds, you were going to get "CR" as shown, pod shape.) there is varying pod shapes in 99% of pepper varieties but not to the extent of the CR, nor the frequency (if it were a stable variety)

I can also concur with Pepper Rich (from experience) that when you order BrainStrain seeds from Cappy, that is what you are going to get. Uniform pod shape and consistency.

As for the legalities of the rumors, I think we have covered what is out there pretty well and for the most part are all in concencius that Ed has "Ed's Smokin Carolina Reaper" TM'd but not exclusively "Carolina Reaper" and he has no PVP nor does it seem he has applied. Everyone who wants to use this product for profit should either be satisfied with what's been researched and posted or they should take it further with their own research for peace of mind.

Ed has a product here that I feel he believes is too big to need personal defending. Whether the claims are warranted or not. I don't see anyone here bashing him with the purpose of making profit or more so decreasing Ed's profit by doing so. This is a group of people that is either a) small business trying to sell a product that has no transperancy, or b) Hobby growers that spent good money on a very Hyped up pepper (by PJ AND Ed)

People want answers and if they don't get them, this is what will happen, a mile long thread with a bunch of talk that most cannot be backed by fact due to the lack of the creators input.

I believe that EVERYONE on this thread should email Ed and ask te questions that you might have. Then we can all come back and discuss what we've found out. This is the way to the truth of the mater and real transperancy when it comes to Ed and the CR.

Here here, 3/5. Extremely well said!

3/5 couldn't agree more. I've said or asked people if they've contacted Ed personally several times. That's exactly what they should do.

Thanks for the kind words by the way. An yes, your correct, I have a wonderful wife an family and an every growing biz. I'm very blessed.
The reason I defend Ed is the same reason I was one of the many that helped defend Cappy last year, simply because he's my friend and I know he's a fair and honest guy. Any of you that I'm lucky enough to call friend I'd defend. If I call you my friend I know your an honest good person so I wouldn't hesitate to defend.

What I don't agree with you on is the stability. I'm not going to go into that again as i think the video as well as other things I've posted proves this is a pretty stable pepper. But that's from my perspective.

In terms of Ed defending himself, that's up to him. But just like the ones who have come on here have given their perspective, both good an bad, I also have that right. And from my experience and my perspective, the reaper is very stable.

But as you stated, for the few that do have issues, yes, you should contact joe or Ed and I'm sure both will remedy your issues.

I have in the past defended Ed and PJ, and still hold nothing against them, as I am happy with the product.  But to be honest, they did hype the hell out of this thing and kind of made themselves a lightning rod for scrutiny.  Whatever you think of the product, whether you like it or hate it, they shined the spotlights in the air and called everyone in.  I don't blame people who weren't satisfied for complaining.  I think the jigsaw thing isn't as big, although from what I've seen a different issue, because there wasn't the big hype.  I'm not saying anything about the issue itself, but there were fewer customers, and less controversy simply because there was less attention to it to begin with.

mmcdermott1 said:
3/5 couldn't agree more. I've said or asked people if they've contacted Ed personally several times. That's exactly what they should do.

Thanks for the kind words by the way. An yes, your correct, I have a wonderful wife an family and an every growing biz. I'm very blessed.
The reason I defend Ed is the same reason I was one of the many that helped defend Cappy last year, simply because he's my friend and I know he's a fair and honest guy. Any of you that I'm lucky enough to call friend I'd defend. If I call you my friend I know your an honest good person so I wouldn't hesitate to defend.

What I don't agree with you on is the stability. I'm not going to go into that again as i think the video as well as other things I've posted proves this is a pretty stable pepper. But that's from my perspective.

In terms of Ed defending himself, that's up to him. But just like the ones who have come on here have given their perspective, both good an bad, I also have that right. And from my experience and my perspective, the reaper is very stable.

But as you stated, for the few that do have issues, yes, you should contact joe or Ed and I'm sure both will remedy your issues.

Also well put, sir. My main concern has always been whether I can sell Reapers, and my intention was and has always been to just sell them under the generic "Carolina Reaper" name, since that is all I've ever known them being called, and only within the last few days have I heard anything about "Smokin' Ed's Carolina Reaper", which only furthered my confusion as to whether or not I can, in fact, sell them. I've asked someone already on PM if I could have Ed's e-mail address, so I can contact him personally to ask him myself and get his blessing on selling Reapers and Reaper-based products under the, what I've gathered to be, generic "Carolina Reaper" name. The person has tried to contact Ed to get his blessing in giving me his person e-mail address. If Ed declines, that's totally fine, since it's Ed's right to do so, and if Ed says to go ahead, then I'll message him and we'll talk shop.

And I'm not so heavily invested in the existing Reaper plants I have, that if Ed declines permission for me to sell them, that it will sink me. I have other pepper seeds I can germinate and grow, which has always been my intention. I simply wanted to be able to add the Reaper to the arsenal of peppers I can eventually be able to sell when I have a sufficient quantity.

And my guess is you'll be 100% fine

Rodney FYI that pepper was in his arsenal LONG before the reaper was released. You have no idea how many crosses Ed has. He's been doing this for a VERY long time. I was 10 years old when he started in peppers.

He has some very cool stuff I hope he releases some day.
By the way all. Just debating. Debating (friendly) is good :)

armac said:
No problem Mike, a little active debate is good for soul.....take care Mike. Keep those big fields growing.

Always is, I just don't like it when someone starts a debate with me in person and all I wanna do I watch TV or go about my day (and for the record, nobody here on THP has done that to me... ever!) ;) One of my big pet peeves is when people give me advice and/or give me their opinion on something when I never asked for it. On the forums, it's one thing, since anyone can start whatever thread they want on here, or reply to one already started (that's kinda the point of said thread), and provided THP or one of the admins don't take issue with it, which has been the case for 99.999999999999999999999999999999% of the topics started and responses posted, then if I feel I have something to contribute, I'll join in and speak my piece. I thoroughly enjoy the people on here, and consider you all colleagues, friends, and fellow pepperheads-in-arms, and the advice, support and recommendations on the site is nothing short of extensive and invaluable, but on a few other places (Facebook, Twitter, etc.), there have always been those few who decide they should force their opinions down my throat when I never asked for or wanted to hear it, I just wanted to go about my day as I saw fit.

JDFan said:

Actually that is probably why you don't hear much from PJ right now as it would ultimately get him involved in any litigation - figure if Ed does try to enforce the terms and the person he attempts to sue bought the seeds from PJ they surely would bring up the point and that would mean that either Ed or the person being sued by ED could Sue PJ - Depending on if ED has made PJ sign any agreement saying he would conform to Ed's little Terms and conditions and failed to notify the end buyer of the seeds of the limitation or was not told of the policy pretty much negating the chance to enforce it on anyone !

I purchase seeds only from PepperJoe 1 because I don’t want to register at multiple sites or use a CC at multiple sites 2 because anytime an order didn’t arrive or germinate well I got replacement packs I’m not a fan of how he handles social media or his impersonal posts I don’t feel I know the man but his business is great and Silvia is nice 3 they ship internationally.  I’m sure there are people who purchased Only because of PepperJoe and will only purchase from PepperJoe and it would be foolish for ed to risk that relationship with joe just my opinion.

TylerInNiagara said:

I purchase seedsonly from PepperJoe 1 because I don’t want to register at multiple sites or use a CC at multiple sites 2 because anytime an order didn’t arrive or germinate well I got replacement packs I’m not a fan of how he handles social media or his impersonal posts I don’t feel I know the man but his business is great and Silvia is nice 3 they ship internationally.  I’m sure there are people who purchased Only because of PepperJoe and will only purchase from PepperJoe and it would be foolish for ed to risk that relationship with joe just my opinion.
I also got mine from Joe. I have ordered seeds from him a few times.
The bottom line is one order was missing a pack of seeds....he sent them out right away and included more freebies.
Then the Reaper seeds I ordered from him didn't germinate well....I emailed him and he sent me another pack. Those did germ well :)
I gave a couple plants away and I think I have 9 growing....
So I figure he (Joe) would make things as right as he can for those who bought from him.

The Jigsaw....geez.... I ordered 2 packs for a princely sum....of course you get just a few seeds....some were crushed :(
I gave 3 seeds to a friend....he had 1 germinate and I had zero...
So I contacted Jukka...he eventually said he would send replacements (after several emails and some avoiding the issue)
Needless to say, for whatever reason, the seeds never arrived.
Luckily I finally had ONE germinate in the meantime. 
So, 2 plants for $26....

Lets just say I am far happier with Joe's service, and would likely buy again in the future.
At this point Jukka won't be getting my $$ again though.

And.... I think I am very unlikely to jump on any new variety bandwagon anytime soon...lol

I just hope that both grow true for me so I can share a few seeds, and cook with some pods.

I do find the whole "high priced seeds that you can grow but don't sell anything" to be extremely annoying and unfair...
Especially since both seem to have been enacted AFTER I purchased seeds.
Therefore I call B.S. on both Ed and Jukka, and as far as I am concerned they can both stick a superhot pepper right up their "Bhut".....

DesertChris said:
I also got mine from Joe. I have ordered seeds from him a few times.
The bottom line is one order was missing a pack of seeds....he sent them out right away and included more freebies.
Then the Reaper seeds I ordered from him didn't germinate well....I emailed him and he sent me another pack. Those did germ well :)
I gave a couple plants away and I think I have 9 growing....
So I figure he (Joe) would make things as right as he can for those who bought from him.

The Jigsaw....geez.... I ordered 2 packs for a princely sum....of course you get just a few seeds....some were crushed :(
I gave 3 seeds to a friend....he had 1 germinate and I had zero...
So I contacted Jukka...he eventually said he would send replacements (after several emails and some avoiding the issue)
Needless to say, for whatever reason, the seeds never arrived.
Luckily I finally had ONE germinate in the meantime. 
So, 2 plants for $26....

Lets just say I am far happier with Joe's service, and would likely buy again in the future.
At this point Jukka won't be getting my $$ again though.

And.... I think I am very unlikely to jump on any new variety bandwagon anytime soon...lol

I just hope that both grow true for me so I can share a few seeds, and cook with some pods.

I do find the whole "high priced seeds that you can grow but don't sell anything" to be extremely annoying and unfair...
Especially since both seem to have been enacted AFTER I purchased seeds.
Therefore I call B.S. on both Ed and Jukka, and as far as I am concerned they can both stick a superhot pepper right up their "Bhut".....
Well Ed has many expenses Lab testing, warehouses, greenhouses, growers, lights, water, pots,  materials, staff and his family they are not unreasonably priced and I can understand him wanting to milk this for all it’s worth but as others have said I don’t think it will be enforceable if they purchased from pepperjoe or if they are outside of the USA.

TylerInNiagara said:
Well Ed has many expenses Lab testing, warehouses, greenhouses, growers, lights, water, pots,  materials, staff and his family they are not unreasonably priced and I can understand him wanting to milk this for all it’s worth but as others have said I don’t think it will be enforceable if they purchased from pepperjoe or if they are outside of the USA.
I understand the expenses thing, but we all have expenses and families to feed...
And the thing is....it is a food...people grow food and sell that food...to expect any different is foolish.
Shoot... even Monsanto doesn't try to prevent people from selling their crops, or using them in prepared foods for sale!!!

It is just wrong.....and honestly it almost makes me want to harvest as many seeds as I possibly can...
Sow them all and grow a thousand plants next season....then give away all the seeds from those plants for free...

Luckily I have much better things to do with my time and energy....
Like grow pepper varieties that I can, and will, do anything I want with ;)

DesertChris said:
I understand the expenses thing, but we all have expenses and families to feed...
And the thing is....it is a food...people grow food and sell that food...to expect any different is foolish.
Shoot... even Monsanto doesn't try to prevent people from selling their crops, or using them in prepared foods for sale!!!

It is just wrong.....and honestly it almost makes me want to harvest as many seeds as I possibly can...
Sow them all and grow a thousand plants next season....then give away all the seeds from those plants for free...

Luckily I have much better things to do with my time and energy....
Like grow pepper varieties that I can, and will, do anything I want with ;)

Well Monsanto tries to make sure you buy the seeds every single year ED does not have that option so this is the next best thing? http://www.globalresearch.ca/the-seeds-of-suicide-how-monsanto-destroys-farming/5329947

TylerInNiagara said:

Well Monsanto tries to make sure you buy the seeds every single year ED does not have that option so this is the next best thing? http://www.globalresearch.ca/the-seeds-of-suicide-how-monsanto-destroys-farming/5329947
Yeah, they are certainly their own special category of evil....but they don't sick the lawyers on you for selling crops.....
The whole thing just pisses me off.... I will never buy seeds from him....or ever buy seeds that came from him again....
I'll grow these Creapers this year, save seeds and share them....but no buying anymore...and no buying any other strains he releases in the future.... He won't notice the difference whatsoever, but I'll feel better....lol

DesertChris said:
Yeah, they are certainly their own special category of evil....but they don't sick the lawyers on you for selling crops.....
The whole thing just pisses me off.... I will never buy seeds from him....or ever buy seeds that came from him again....
I'll grow these Creapers this year, save seeds and share them....but no buying anymore...and no buying any other strains he releases in the future.... He won't notice the difference whatsoever, but I'll feel better....lol

So far I have not seen a single message from a lawyer saying you can't sell and even if someone received one it's not the same as someone being successfully sued. I wouldn't risk selling hot sauces commercially at least not in the USA ;) and if you like ED or at least want to support his family or the people that work for him buy from him.

DesertChris said:
Then the Reaper seeds I ordered from him didn't germinate well....I emailed him and he sent me another pack. Those did germ well :
lucky for you.. i eventually got replacements after being called a liar and a fraud.. then later he made a comment "hows them free reaper seeds i sent ya" more like reaper replacements for seeds that never germed.. IMO the guy is a REAPER.. =D

Back