• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Carolina Reaper (HP22B) Community Grow

A few members including myself are growing seeds for this variety ASAP. I and a few others here on THP thought it would be fun to have a "community glog" strictly for this variety, a fun thread about the HP22B and growing this pepper for the first time.

I think we should start a community glog like this anytime there is a new pepper with alot of attention and alot of people growing it, possible world record holder or not. It would be fun, and this should be fun! That's why we all love this hobby is it not?

Therefore, this will be a drama-free, controversy-free, fun glog for all of us growers and others to enjoy. If you grow, please chime in. If you're growing this variety, please post pictures and chime in about your observations.

Again.. This thread is ment to be fun and informative, but mostly fun :)
Please. Pretty please with sugar on top.. lol. Keep it drama-free.
I, and many others would really appreciate this thread to stay that way.

Now lets get to growing!

IMG_3008.jpg

I went with the paper towel method for this guy just like I have with all my mid-season starts. It is far from my favorite way to germinate seeds but I'm in no hurry this time of year which is why I went this route. I've had the seeds in the paper towel for about a week now on top of my HOT5 lighting closet. The seeds should be showing root tips soon, then they will be visiting some real soil :D

How's it going for everyone else?

Brandon

Threehundredc said:
i JUST planted my reaper seed 2 days ago whats the average time to first bloom.might be a while before i check back in here with pictures

I think nine days just for first cotys, then I think first flowers for me was at least 4 months.

So seems like a majority of the not reapers are from PJ. Am I wrong or am I correct. ?! Should I even try for a refund ?!
Seeds from pepperjoe. Grown by Melissa.
null_zps45cdc4b3.jpg

KiNGDeNNiZ said:
So seems like a majority of the not reapers are from PJ. Am I wrong or am I correct. ?! Should I even try for a refund ?!Seeds from pepperjoe. Grown by Melissa.
null_zps45cdc4b3.jpg
I'm 50/50 on mine. I have 2 plants producing right now, one "true" and one habby.got seeds from both, but it shouldn't matter because they were all packed in the same place.

I posted pics in the vendor vault and without even asking for a refund/replacement i was offered replacement packs :)

KiNGDeNNiZ said:
So seems like a majority of the not reapers are from PJ. Am I wrong or am I correct. ?! Should I even try for a refund ?!
null_zps45cdc4b3.jpg

These don't look that bad :)

KiNGDeNNiZ said:
null_zps45cdc4b3.jpg

KiNGDeNNiZ said:
null_zps45cdc4b3.jpg
I got my 'not reapers' from pepper joe and got a refund.  If yours are not reapers as well, I would demand a refund.

I have several that are starting to pod up pretty good will get some pics up as things move along. I got seeds from Both when they first were released. Will be doing some trading on them when they are ready going to be Sep on mine I would think.

Jason

jbeer32 said:
Well, I was waiting to share my story until I had some pods forming and do now so here goes.  I ordered seeds from Pepper Joe after the huge hype about the next biggest thing.  I had only 3 of 12 seeds I received germinate.  1 of the seedlings (a very weak one) died early on in its life.  The other 2 made it to plant out but were smaller than my other superhots.  One of my plants finally has pods forming and as can be seen below, they are far from 'as advertised' just like many others on this grow log as armac has pointed out.  Here are a few of the pods:

Due to the obviousness that these are not as advertised, I received a refund from Pepper Joe for the unstable seeds he sent me.  It was like pulling teeth, but I finally got it.  Maybe some of you who have been taken by Pepper Joe should also ask for a refund.  I plan to keep up with this glog and will report when my other 'reaper' plant puts out pods.

Sorry for your misfortune.

I got 11 seeds from PJ and all germinated. I finally got my first pod and so far it looks like the real deal. I'll let you guys know what my other plants put out. I'm afraid I won't get ripe pods up here in Connecticut from seeds sown in the beginning of April and transplanted into the garden on June 10th or so. October is death to the outside peppers up here.

I never grew anything hotter than the traditional orange habs before this year so I'm excited to get anything and true to form will be all that much better.

Jamison said:
Well I got my first harvest of "Carolina Reapers", if that's what you want to call em.

Your 'reapers' look a lot like mine as can be seen in the post above you.  Where did you get your seeds?

Here are pictures I took today of my Reapers. Included is a picture of what the abnormal pods look like as well. So far it is a fairly even split between normal/abnormal. The only difference being the absence of a tail, no smooth hab-like pods to report.

For the record, I got my seeds from Pepper Joe back in December. All of the seeds germinated, but the plants grew slowly. However, they did end up being more prolific than the plants that grew faster. 

1119816_369029676559127_971108606_o.jpg

1102730_369029736559121_131251474_o.jpg

1146860_368990693229692_878436486_o.jpg

Here is an example of the tail-less Reapers

1116171_369029899892438_1077529198_o.jpg

Nice to see the beautiful pod pics!

Got one out there that looks a lot like your Chris, just found it today....no color yet..

Reapers? Mine are 4.5 feet tall and still not setting well...a few here and there. Now the Naga looking one has loaded up again big time!

I was drying/tasting mine yesterday,they are hot as hell. An aggressive burn for me but everyone is different. I still cannot see these things hanging with a lot of the brown varieties. It is a great looking pod whatever it is. I agree with what previous members have said,it is not very prolific.

Back