• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Carolina Reaper (HP22B) Community Grow

A few members including myself are growing seeds for this variety ASAP. I and a few others here on THP thought it would be fun to have a "community glog" strictly for this variety, a fun thread about the HP22B and growing this pepper for the first time.

I think we should start a community glog like this anytime there is a new pepper with alot of attention and alot of people growing it, possible world record holder or not. It would be fun, and this should be fun! That's why we all love this hobby is it not?

Therefore, this will be a drama-free, controversy-free, fun glog for all of us growers and others to enjoy. If you grow, please chime in. If you're growing this variety, please post pictures and chime in about your observations.

Again.. This thread is ment to be fun and informative, but mostly fun :)
Please. Pretty please with sugar on top.. lol. Keep it drama-free.
I, and many others would really appreciate this thread to stay that way.

Now lets get to growing!

IMG_3008.jpg

I went with the paper towel method for this guy just like I have with all my mid-season starts. It is far from my favorite way to germinate seeds but I'm in no hurry this time of year which is why I went this route. I've had the seeds in the paper towel for about a week now on top of my HOT5 lighting closet. The seeds should be showing root tips soon, then they will be visiting some real soil :D

How's it going for everyone else?

Brandon

I think were going to see lots of pod variations. I think the interview that Ed did for thepepperseed.com he said something about there being 80% pod similarity and that was good for him to call it stable.

but I know there are other peppers like primo's and Bhuts that have a more stable pod shape/size

80% doesn't sound "stable" to me..

Just sayin....

Doesn't matter though I'm out of the game, my plaint didn't survive the winter...

Just a note planted 6 seeds yesterday afternoon 12/15/20012. I will be watching this thread and pictures will follow of what I grow on the Carolina Reaper plants. Boileranimal

First Reaper sprouted this morning started 12/15/12 still a hook coming out of the soil, but nice present before Christmas. "Cool" Too small for a photo yet though, later for that maybe more will come up by then.

ill get some pics posted also, I have quite a few reapers going. My problem seems to be, that I have lots of flowers starting to form, but very slow. I have them on a 12 hour light cycle but I can turn it up if anyone thinks that it will benefit them better having more light per day.

what do you all think? how long of a cycle when flowering?

I just started my carolina reaper and primo's (thanks to midwestchilihead). I soaked my 12 reaper seeds for 24 hours, since
some have had issue's with germination. I put them in soil yesterday. Will see what happens.

Started 1 Reaper seed on 24th December. 7 days later on 31st it popped a hook.
Used MG Potting Soil mixed with an off brand name Seed Starter Mix in a clear plastic cup covered in a baggie.
Put it up on the heating duct in basement where the temp stays a good 80° to 85°. Sometimes as high as 90° when the heat got turned up and low as 75° when down.
Surprised me when I had Primo, White Bhut and Armeggedon seeds alongside it and they still not pop yet..
Under CFLs now. Hoping for the best. Atleast it's a good start with these for me.

Ghetto Seed Starting....

so DocNRock, am I correct in observing that the leaf shape on the Reaper is more triangular/pointy while the Primo is a more rounded leaf?

I have no dog in the fight and truly detest all of the bickering here, so I'm wondering if we can at least help to put to rest that these are the same plant, as has been asserted?

Or is it still too early to tell?

All good looking plants btw!

Back