• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Carolina Reaper (HP22B) Community Grow

A few members including myself are growing seeds for this variety ASAP. I and a few others here on THP thought it would be fun to have a "community glog" strictly for this variety, a fun thread about the HP22B and growing this pepper for the first time.

I think we should start a community glog like this anytime there is a new pepper with alot of attention and alot of people growing it, possible world record holder or not. It would be fun, and this should be fun! That's why we all love this hobby is it not?

Therefore, this will be a drama-free, controversy-free, fun glog for all of us growers and others to enjoy. If you grow, please chime in. If you're growing this variety, please post pictures and chime in about your observations.

Again.. This thread is ment to be fun and informative, but mostly fun :)
Please. Pretty please with sugar on top.. lol. Keep it drama-free.
I, and many others would really appreciate this thread to stay that way.

Now lets get to growing!

IMG_3008.jpg

I went with the paper towel method for this guy just like I have with all my mid-season starts. It is far from my favorite way to germinate seeds but I'm in no hurry this time of year which is why I went this route. I've had the seeds in the paper towel for about a week now on top of my HOT5 lighting closet. The seeds should be showing root tips soon, then they will be visiting some real soil :D

How's it going for everyone else?

Brandon

Hey Laurens,
Those 3 Red Carolina Reaper Pods in your hand with rubber glove on are absolutely awesome. They look as good or better than mine and Ed Curries. You must be a Master Gardener.
Keep up the great job, my man!
PJ

Hey Laurens,
Those 3 Red Carolina Reaper Pods in your hand with rubber glove on are absolutely awesome. They look as good or better than mine and Ed Curries. You must be a Master Gardener.
Keep up the great job, my man!
PJ
Hi PepperJoe. Thank you! Must be the African sun and soil. It has been incredibly dry and hot here... all plants in my garden are making big pods that are just dripping in capsaicin and hot hot hot! My Reapers are all rapidly turning red now, and already there is a second wave of pods coming along... so lots of smiles this side!

Denniz, those look just like the ones Lock sent. Looks like a few hybrids/unstables made it out. Unfortunate that we have to gamble on whether we paid for bunk seeds.

I have a couple reapers from PJ that should pod up in not too long. We'll see how they turn out. Still, it's encouraging seeing more that look like the ads coming out.

Wow, that is a nice specimen. Is your temperature good? I find plants dropping pods when temperature is too low. Can you not take her outside... you are based in Australia?

yes I'm in australia. I'm afraid if I took it outside it would burn up in the sun. I dont think I can move it very easily anyway. Its bigger than it looks in the photos, would also be hard to move the reservoir.
Temperature should be fine. Its not cold here yet, all my outdoor chilies are going very well.
My outdoor reaper dropped flowers for months then one day it just started hanging onto them.
I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong with this one.

hmm...weather is still warm, its hydroponic in dwc, maybe I'll drop the water level and expose more roots. I've got two air pumps in there so I figured that would be plenty of oxygen. The plant it self is very healthy.

hmm...weather is still warm, its hydroponic in dwc, maybe I'll drop the water level and expose more roots. I've got two air pumps in there so I figured that would be plenty of oxygen. The plant it self is very healthy.

Dave not sure if I missed it or not, but did you try to switch the nutes over to the bloom cycle and maybe that will help it start flowering up? If your are feeding it the grow, it could be that the grow has a higher nitrogen value, and that plant can be taking it it to help promote the growth, the bloom nutes are a lower nitrogen value and it may help it start to flower.

Dave not sure if I missed it or not, but did you try to switch the nutes over to the bloom cycle and maybe that will help it start flowering up? If your are feeding it the grow, it could be that the grow has a higher nitrogen value, and that plant can be taking it it to help promote the growth, the bloom nutes are a lower nitrogen value and it may help it start to flower.
yes did that, I just recently flushed the reservoir and re filled with mostly bloom and a touch of grow. There are tons of flowers on it...Hundreds...just can't get the suckers to hang on

I ate about a fifth of this sucker from my outdoor reaper tonight! Oh man! these things live up to the hype! They are crazily hot! hotter than my moruga and brain strains

Awesome looking plant, great looking pod... hehe they are unbelievably hot. Did the Brainstrain the other day and it was a walk in the park compared to the Reaper. Only other pod I can compare it to is the ButchT... but in my reckoning the burn from the Reaper is much stronger. One has to try it to believe it :)

Back