commercial-kichen Commercial kitchen project

HellfireFarm

Business Member
Time to kick off this project!

I called the electric company today to have them come out and tell me what it's going to take to get the new service. County tells me that because of my agricultural zoning, this counts as a farm outbuilding so isn't subject to the permit requirements something like a house or commercial structure would be (YAY!). Especially since it's an existing structure being converted. That means I'll be able to use the existing well and septic, too. All the major hurdles are out of the way.

Next I need to get ahold of Ag department and county health to see if there's anything I need to do for them before I start. Obviously I will need a water test and probably some sort of filtration or purification.

You could get an overhead 200amp service for an RV recept and a general use 120v WP outlet on the post. End Of Story. No mention of a food facility or anything else.

Nope. Nothing going on here...just need an rv outlet for " mybabysisterwhoneedsaplacetostay/mydrunkbrotherwhoisinrecovery/mykidwhojustgraduated " ... spin a good story... if you can...

After the service is approved, feck it all because there is a DISCONNECT on the pole. You can run conduits and wires to wherever needed in the shed. Pretty sure the FDA doesnt check electrical permits.

Glad I can provide entertainment at least, if not some helpful tips. And big thanks to @salsalady and @The Hot Pepper for their input as well, the voices of experience definitely help. @Crazy Monkey I feel ya, I'm glad I managed to get out of a lot of it, but there's still the Ag inspection and process inspection when it's all ready.

We'll see how it all impacts my timeline. I'm targeting end of March, but I'm realistic enough to know that's a long shot. But the latest developments make it a little more likely.

Reminds me of that show First Time Flippers: "My budget is $500 and my time frame is 5 days. I'm Hellfire and this is my first flip"

You could get an overhead 200amp service for an RV recept and a general use 120v WP outlet on the post. End Of Story. No mention of a food facility or anything else.

Nope. Nothing going on here...just need an rv outlet for " mybabysisterwhoneedsaplacetostay/mydrunkbrotherwhoisinrecovery/mykidwhojustgraduated " ... spin a good story... if you can...

After the service is approved, feck it all because there is a DISCONNECT on the pole. You can run conduits and wires to wherever needed in the shed. Pretty sure the FDA doesnt check electrical permits.
Think about this^^^

Seriously!!!! 200amp service. Once in, done deal.

I totally get what you're saying - but after running the numbers I'm pretty sure that by the time I'm even pushing the 40A I will have outgrown the space. The propane water heater made all the difference. The cost and effort for that 200A service is just more than I want to deal with.

Aight....
3/4" conduit, 2x#6 thhn hots, 1x#8 thhn neutral, 1x#10 thhn ground...

50 amp service

Plumbing rough in finally finished (except for one tiny piece). Had some distractions, especially with the clear weekend finally having a chance to pour the footings for my deck stair supports!

20230221_190604.jpg

The unfinished bit is visible - those two verticals are supposed to be longer and terminate in a 90 with a 6" sticking out, for the mop basin faucet. Some of the electric in there too. I had to redo just a bit when I realized that I had an outlet right behind the prep sink!

The wall to the left is where the hand sink and 3-compartment will go. The far right is the prep sink. That part to the left of the prep sink is where the heater is going. If you look closely you'll see a Tee pointing down in the corner - that's the infeed from the well.

The roof trusses aren't even with the tops of the walls, so I also cut some 2x4's to fasten the ceiling wood to. No pics yet, they're cut and up, but not fastened so they're all in the wrong place. That's probably Thursday. Picking up the heater and mini-split tomorrow - that's a 2 hour round trip to the Big Box Store.

Having an outlet above the prep sink can be useful. I set choppers, slicers, blenders on the prep sink. Very convenient. I have longer drainboards than what you are planning.

Washing and processing fresh chiles...
Chiles in the prep sink
Slosh and wash, toss into a perforated hotel pan on the drainboard, cut and trim
Move perf pan across sink, set up chopper/food processor/blender on the drainboard
Blender away!

Just make sure the outlet is GFCI protected by a GFCI outlet or a GFCI breaker.

Outlet over the mop sink.....maybe not so much.... :lol:

Last edited:
Question...do you strip the wires before or after shoving them in the electrical boxes? Just curious...;)

I thought about that with the outlet but decided it was just a bit too close. I have outlets every 2 feet for the rest of the wall, one row just above the counter, one row normal lower height (like 18" or so).

Given the close proximity of everything, ALL outlets are GFCI protected. I have one going in for each independent run (3 total)

Question...do you strip the wires before or after shoving them in the electrical boxes? Just curious...;)
Ah, they're not showing in the pic. Unstripped going in. It was easier :)

Subpanel is mounted. I reinforced the wall from the inside to make sure it was solid. Got a 2" pass-thru with the wires to the interior circuits. I've seen the clamps (? not sure the term) used for things like that but I'm not totally sure yet how that works with multiple different wires - something to look up I guess.

Added the straps and clamps to the plumbing wall pass-thrus to keep them straight and hold them in position.

Ceiling and walls this weekend!

Subpanel is mounted. I reinforced the wall from the inside to make sure it was solid. Got a 2" pass-thru with the wires to the interior circuits. I've seen the clamps (? not sure the term) used for things like that but I'm not totally sure yet how that works with multiple different wires - something to look up I guess.

Added the straps and clamps to the plumbing wall pass-thrus to keep them straight and hold them in position.

Ceiling and walls this weekend!

Sounds like no inspection? Take lots of pics. For us ::): and for future.

Not sure what is referenced to the 2" clamp and pass thru's?

Back