food D3monic "Can" Cook but Allergies Suck!

Jennifers grandma went to the "old world butcher" other day and scored us a handful of smoked and aged sausages. Smell heavenly

Per her insistence of cooking them exactly like her grandfather did in his honor I first boiled them for 15-20 mins which rehydrated them. They sauteed them with some butter. 

We didn't have any hotdog buns so I made some from scratch

Served up with stone ground mustard and horseradish cream. 

The Hot Pepper said:
Whaaaaa? Never seen dry cured sausage cooked wasn't it hard as a rock? Usually for slicing and eating but learned something new.
I guess it is a great way to store the links without freezing them. Dried like that they have a pretty long shelf life. D3....what nationality or locality is her grandfather from?

Oh yeah dried sausage rocks. I love salami and pepperoni but would never cook it like a hot dog.... new stuff here indeed!

I wonder how it works with Chinese dried sausage. Lap cheong, they look like shriveled hot dogs.

I haven't tried them in their dry state so unsure just how dry they really are but you can tell they reconstituted significantly. They felt dry to the touch but maybe not as dry as a salami log. :think:  End up with a nice snap similar to a bratwurst. Very tasty for sure.  Not sure what name they are sold under. They arrived in a generic zip lock bag. I will try and find out though. 

Her grandmother is Swedish

. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkuPhs-Gjdw

The Hot Pepper said:
Whaaaaa? Never seen dry cured sausage cooked wasn't it hard as a rock? Usually for slicing and eating but learned something new.

The Hot Pepper said:
Oh yeah dried sausage rocks. I love salami and pepperoni but would never cook it like a hot dog.... new stuff here indeed!

I wonder how it works with Chinese dried sausage. Lap cheong, they look like shriveled hot dogs.

Exactly what I was wondering about ... Danielle sent the last of those to JHP last time she kicked me out of a cabinet ...

JohnsMyName said:
Baller points for making buns instead of hitting the corner store in your slippers! Rock on D3monic!!!

Also never seen dried meat rehydrated like that, seems like a sound idea though and an opportunity to drive some additional flavor in.

One can also argue they may loose some of the flavor from boiling process removing some of the smoke flavor but I don't think it really effects it much. Turns out like a fine high end hot dog water cologne.

then of course you get the flavor of the butter saute  

The Hot Pepper said:

My mother used to put lap cheong in the rice pot as it cooked. They swelled up a little by the time the rice was done and the bonus for me was that the rice picked up some of the flavor of the sausage too.

Back