food D3monic "Can" Cook but Allergies Suck!

My Daughter  woke  up  with the  stomach  flu. Puked all over the carpet. Found out everyone on her dads side of family caught it on Christmas. So in preparation for the inevitable I decided to start some soup base for ramen or Matzo or both. 

Chicken stock, scallions, shitake mushrooms, carrots, celery, ginger, dried pepper and garlic. Slow simmering

ldwOkAb.jpg

Starting to smell good and make my belly gurgle at the same time. 
Probably go the Shoyu ramen route since it's got the simplest ingredients. Broke out my Japanese soul cooking book again. Will probably go meatless though

SHOYU RAMEN

[SIZE=11pt]soy sauce tare[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]1 cup soy sauce[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]¼ cup sake[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]1 tablespoon mirin[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]½ ounce ginger, peel on and crushed[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]1 scallion, trimmed and coarsely chopped[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed[/SIZE]

Basics all out the way. 

Tare of soy sauce, sake,  mirin, ginger, scallion and garlic

TfvAAy9.jpg

Broth all cooked down and strained. Tastes amazing! Probably one the best tasting broths i've made. The shitake was a nice touch. Reduced down to about 5 cups

XdcysmI.jpg

All I got to do is make the noodles and toppings tomorrow. Got Enoki mushrooms, spinach, bok choy, scallions eggs and maybe i'll try a little crispy bacon in there. 

I didn't bother making a marinade for soft boiled eggs as i'll probably be the only one with egg in their bowl. Even that is debatable depending on how my stomach feels tomorrow. 

but bacon and egg ramen does sound good

bacon-egg-ramen-I-howsweeteats.com-7.jpg

The one dried pepper was a nice touch too, added just a hint of heat to the broth but not overpowering for the fam with weak stomachs. 

JayT said:
Preparedness even though no one on your side is even sick.  BOOM.

My step daughter was sick, puked all over her bedroom carpet and bathroom walls.

Fam fighting eggs so I guess I'm not making them. Just woke up and lil ween is hungry but won't even eat toast. She wants ramen. Probably just give her broth and noodles. She just eats around veggies any how

Hahaha ... go with trying to not stress out if there's a bug in the air, as opposed to freaking the f**k out ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWkT0g3FrOk&index=7&list=RD-HCgtKFJVd8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiaOq5wb9og

Lo mein is Chinese spaghetti, ramen is Japanese lol nothing wrong with that! I still say looks good. :D

However I really thought you used spaghetti box noodles. ;)

far as I know the only way to get the wavy noodles is using the shit package brick noodles. 

Broth tastes amazing. Egg turned out perfect, bacon was a good call. Mad my enoki was moldy though I guess I didn't miss it. Used both bok choy and spinach. Both were good. Sad i'm out of broth. 

You could build a rig with dowels with offset levels, make fresh, and thread it through the pegs to dry.

Glad it turned out good. Egg was indeed perfect!

The rig would look like a Plinko board btw lol!

PS. You could buy a 39 cent instant ramen pack and only keep the noodles.

Back