• We welcome content that is not political, divisive, or offensive. If we feel your content leans this way or has the potential to, it may be removed at any time. A hot pepper forum is not the place for such content. Thank you for respecting the community!

Damn, I think I've been Bit By A Brown Recluse

This title should attract the attentin of our little spider-lover, xgrafcorex. lol

Well, I noticed a little pimple on the side of my right cheek, so I popped it. Wendsday it started to hurt as if I didn't get all of it out. So I left it alone and did some alchohl swabs to try to dry it out. Thursday it started to swell and by Thursday night, it was REALLY starting to swell and hurt. I called off work for today and when I woke up, my right side of my face is ballooned up and full of fluid.

It actually bounces slightly when I walk and is starting to have a constant pain to it. On top of that, I'm getting a little nausiated. THIS IS NOT A GOOD SIGN! I am trying to get a doctor's appointment now and hope that they can do something right there because I am uninsured and low on cash. Please send out some good mental vibes for me and I'll update and post when time allows! :)

facebiteko6.jpg

At least now I can be cast as the next Quasimoto and no make up will be required....

Dont try and save Esmeralda from the gallows just yet Quas...

Hope you are all right -- and get to the Doc soon man

ouch! can't say if it is or isn't, but fortunately if it is, it is very rare to experience the full blown necrotic effects of their bite. i hope in your case it isn't a recluse, and if it is, that you are spared the worst. i've never seen a bite on the face before, but on other parts of the body, (in the worst case scenario) it gets pretty ugly.

hah as for the thread title..i've even clicked on some links in the pepper section because the word scorpion was in the title. :)

xgrafcorex said:
ouch! can't say if it is or isn't, but fortunately if it is, it is very rare to experience the full blown necrotic effects of their bite. i hope in your case it isn't a recluse, and if it is, that you are spared the worst. i've never seen a bite on the face before, but on other parts of the body, (in the worst case scenario) it gets pretty ugly.
Ya, I've seen the results before too. Unfortunitly, I have a very "medically strange" system and generally it's the situation where, if there is a worse case senerio, I generally get that and some other things too.

xgrafcorex said:
hah as for the thread title..i've even clicked on some links in the pepper section because the word scorpion was in the title. :)
hahahaha.

Oh, ow!

Put some ice on that until you can get to the doctor's! What makes you think it was a brown recluse?

I'll be sending good thoughts.

imaguitargod said:
Unfortunitly, I have a very "medically strange" system and generally it's the situation where, if there is a worse case senerio, I generally get that and some other things too.

well, your body may have it's own reaction that would be worse than others, but the necrosis is a direct result of how much venom you receive from the spider. fortunately they rarely give out a full dose. many times, they couldn't if they wanted to because of previous feeding or defensive bites.

i'm not 100% on spiders, but with snakes, they'll often not use their full reservoir on a defensive (or if you were sleeping..i guess it would be "exploratory"? heh) bite because they want to save their venom for prey when they want to ensure it will not get away so that they can eat.

edit..it definitely couldn't hurt to have a doctor look at it though. better safe than sorry.

Just got back from the doctor's office...great now I'm down to $40 until next Friday (payday). Like usual, they don't know what's exactly wrong with me. She said it could be a bacterial infection, a badly infected zit, or a bug bite. I'm on anti-biotics (can't have dairy or beer.......eek! no beer!) I've got a temp of 99.5 and found out I still weight the same and haven't grown taller or shorter.

I'm also supposed to do a compress of backing soda and water every half an hour for the next two days. If any of my symptoms (exluding what is growing on my face) gets worse I am to immediatly go to the emergency room.

And Pam, I think it might be a spider-bite (brown recluse) because my room is very messy and one of those guys could have snuck in and hid out....

I am no doctor, but I had the same look to me when I got an infection in my tear duct. I guess I am just too manly and don't cry enough to get em cleaned out every once in a while or something. Anyway, just thought I would pass that along to you as a possibility, as they also told me on my first trip that they didn't know what it was.

gardenkiller said:
I am no doctor, but I had the same look to me when I got an infection in my tear duct. I guess I am just too manly and don't cry enough to get em cleaned out every once in a while or something. Anyway, just thought I would pass that along to you as a possibility, as they also told me on my first trip that they didn't know what it was.

What you had is called a cyst. I just had one in my left eye about a month ago. The equvilant to that is a pimple (a pour that becomes clogged). I have not ruled out the pimple as of yet.

IGG..dude...spider bites generally leave a noticable ring around the bite. I have woken up with something similiar. My gal says I thrash in my sleep and I wouldn't doubt that I have hit myself more than once. You been sleeping with Mike Tyson lately? Could it be the caveman crib is haunted with some other tiny bug?

texas blues said:
IGG..dude...spider bites generally leave a noticable ring around the bite. I have woken up with something similiar. My gal says I thrash in my sleep and I wouldn't doubt that I have hit myself more than once. You been sleeping with Mike Tyson lately? Could it be the caveman crib is haunted with some other tiny bug?

Nope, I'm smart enough NOT to sleep with Mike Tyson :)

Could be haunted by another bug other than a spider.....

Status update: since the antibiotic this afternoon and constant cold pack the swelling seems to have localized a bit and possable shrunk. Tempature is a consistant 99.5 degrees.

imaguitargod said:
...Well, I noticed a little pimple on the side of my right cheek, so I popped it...

did any little spiders come out?

try rubbing a little hab juice on it - if that doesn't work, just get stoned, but don't fall asleep in the garden again!

I've seen the email pics of the brown recluse bite on that guy's thumb - OMFG I hope you don't have that.

chilliman64 said:
did any little spiders come out?

try rubbing a little hab juice on it - if that doesn't work, just get stoned, but don't fall asleep in the garden again!

I've seen the email pics of the brown recluse bite on that guy's thumb - OMFG I hope you don't have that.

Hahahahaha! Thanks!

Ya, I think that guys thumb picture is the most famous picture of a bite around.

Hm, I did a quick google to see these famous pictures, and turned some interesting articles that question its authenticity.

http://spiders.ucr.edu/hyperbole2003.html

http://www.snopes.com/photos/bugs/brownrecluse.asp

My father was bitten by a brown recluse on his left butt cheek. He was crawling under the house to fix something. We know this one was a brown recluse because the dead spider was in his shorts when he dropped his drawers for Mom to see the bite. It looked pretty awful for months, but healed on its own. He didn't feel it bite him, but felt it crawling and swatted it. By the time he went to show it to Mom, it was itching.

Situation Update: The lump on the side of my face is harder now, and seems to have coalessed into one large hard lump. I woke up with a 98.5 temp and then, stupid me, tried to push the crap in the lump out. I got dizzy and nausiated and as my mom said to me when I called her this morning "Dumbie! That will just agrivate it more!". So now I sit and wait for my body to heal or push the crap out on it's own.

After that insident I went and watered a bit and took my temp again. 100.4!!!!!!!! Now I'm wondering if that was because I was outside in the heat, because I agravated the wound, or if it's because I baught a cheap ass electronic temp gadge for $2.99 yesturday.

This hurts, this really really hurts and I'm really down right now :onfire::cry:. Mainly from the pain but also because I CAN'T HAVE ANY BEER AND I'M ALMOST BROKE!! grrrr...sorry, just venting...

On an up side, my eye is way less swollen and I'm less nausiated than yesturday which means I may be past the worse of it.

Intensity Academy said:
What's going on now with the bump...I can't stand the suspense Man!

Since I've been doing the baking soda packs it seems to be helping. Now after each pack session, puss and blood come leaking out. Add light pressure and you have some nice drainage of fluid. Hence the "eewwwwww" that I posted.

Man, this is going to leave a mark.........

Back