• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Devv's 2014- Stick a fork in me, I'm done....

Time for the 2014 start...

Many of these plants were made possible by the generous people of the THP sending me seeds and pods Thanks!

I'm looking forward to warmer weather and dirt day!

I have a bunch of seeds started, and plants at all the stages.

Here's the grow bench, a T8 x4 on top and T5 x4 on the bottom, as you can see it's loaded.

0.JPG

Top rack:
1.JPG

Bottom rack:
2.JPG

I like starting the seeds in Jiffy Pellets, as soon as they stand up I trim the mesh off and plant them 1/2" proud in a pot, or in this case a cup.

Red Rocotto the lonely Pube..
12.JPG

A few plants living under the T5, I'm super impressed with this light!

Choc Hab

4.JPG

Bhut x Y7 x Choc Bhut Douglah-Spicegeist

5.JPG

Bhut x Y7 F2-Spicegeist
6.JPG

Yellow Cardi- Jamie
7.JPG

Choc Scorp-Ramon
8.JPG

Peach Bhut- Annie
9.JPG

Going to do some tilling will post more later

WhoooA!
You're  having ripe pods before I get in the ground. :D
I must be latitude-impaired or somethin'. 

Those Nardellos are a hard workin' pepper. The pods will soon outweigh the stalks and leaves.
Good idea on the baskets. I may use my 4 cage on my poblanos, since I'm stringing up the tomatoes.

The OW JA Hab is a rock-star !! I'd call it Elvis.

That garden is just picture perfect. I don't know how you do it with 97° and wind. That's some tough gardening 
I'm already  whining with some breezy 80°s coming next week. 

If you had a spot to sow that Cilantro in Oct-Nov, looks like it would like Tejas winter. Celery too for that matter.
My cilantro sprouts over wintered to 0° with just a light row cover. But my volunteers just now sprouting will bolt like last year I'm guessing.

Don't work too hard.

HillBilly Jeff said:
Plants are looking outstanding sir.
Thanks Jeff!

OCD Chilehead said:
Garden is filling in nicely. Have you seen any snakes now that it's getting warmer? I hope not. Have a good weekend Scott.
Thanks Chuck!

Just one garter snake, it was hiding in the manure pile, kinda surprised me. I've been watching closely for those Rattlers, I'm sure I'll see some.

Back atcha enjoy the weekend!

TrentL said:
Looking good man. 

Have to admit I'm jealous that you've got ripe pods and I haven't even started hardening off yet. :)
Thanks Trent!

The first pods are coloring up. I expect a ton this season!

HabaneroHead said:
OMG, Scott!
That is how a garden should look like! :fireball:
Amazing that you already have ripe pods on the Hungarian Paprika...and pods on the others. You are going to swim in pods this season, my friend! :onfire:
Thanks Balázs!

Everything is finally coming on, even found a few ripe Tomatoes this morning.

meatfreak said:
Garden is looking awesome, Scott and already a first ripe pod. All the effort is starting to pay of very soon my friend. Have a great weekend!
Thanks Stefan!

One thing I'm going to have this year is a large assortment of Jal's thanks to you ;)

jedisushi06 said:
Lov eme some jimmys.  wish i had planted them this year after seeing your pic!
I've never tasted one, from reading they dry them and fry them. Any cooking ideas using them would be much appreciated.

JJJessee said:

WhoooA!
You're  having ripe pods before I get in the ground. :D
I must be latitude-impaired or somethin'. 

Those Nardellos are a hard workin' pepper. The pods will soon outweigh the stalks and leaves.
Good idea on the baskets. I may use my 4 cage on my poblanos, since I'm stringing up the tomatoes.

The OW JA Hab is a rock-star !! I'd call it Elvis.

That garden is just picture perfect. I don't know how you do it with 97° and wind. That's some tough gardening 
I'm already  whining with some breezy 80°s coming next week. 

If you had a spot to sow that Cilantro in Oct-Nov, looks like it would like Tejas winter. Celery too for that matter.
My cilantro sprouts over wintered to 0° with just a light row cover. But my volunteers just now sprouting will bolt like last year I'm guessing.

Don't work too hard.

Thanks JJJ!

Those Nardello's are hard working, they have more pods per plant than most of the others.

Would you believe most of the baskets are from 82? Some are rotting at the place that's ground level, but they still work great for peppers.

The JA Hab's are super growers too, I received the seeds last year in late April and they grew like crazy, podding all summer long into December.

The heat is something I got used to, I like to go out first light and work until 1-2PM, then crack a Shiner and soak up some AC ;)

The garden handles it OK, but highs of 85° would make for a much better producing garden. I push the early spring so things get set before the heat shuts things down.

Good idea on the Cilantro, I didn't know it was that cold hardy.

So today I put up the sunshades, the forecast is low 90's all week and May is when it gets hot around here. I used to hate May when I was an auto technician, cuz it meant hot until mid September. I'm going for four days between waterings, so far things are looking good. Deep roots is what I'm after, I now have a good 16-18"s of nice rich soil in the garden before we hit sand.

1,200 sq feet covered now.
719.JPG

Anyone know what kind of pepper this is? No heat and they make great poppers. LB was stealing them when green.
720.JPG

721.JPG

I'm thinking this is an Inca Red Drop. It seems I totally messed up my labeling.
722.JPG

First Pob, the water spots are from Calmag foliar applications.
723.JPG

Brown Egg. Of course it's not labeled correctly.
724.JPG

Another mystery, maybe I should rename the glog to Devv's mystery grow ;)
725.JPG

Bell's are doing well
726.JPG

Not sure, but it's an Annuum. Sad isn't it?
727.JPG

Mr. Kurt's doing well too!
728.JPG

That's 10!

millworkman said:
Thanks!

These are labeled Yellow Fatalii, did I not get anything right this season?
729.JPG

Bishops Crown. Cute aint they?
730.JPG

Giant Yellow 7, well that's what the label says. We'll see ;)
731.JPG

White Bhut.
732.JPG

Loaded up Nardello. JJJ was correct about these gals being hard workers!
733.JPG

Green Beans are getting there.
734.JPG

Surprise! A few maties!
735.JPG

Sit Otis, sit! He's impossible.
736.JPG

But offer him a treat...
737.JPG

Thanks for stopping by!
jedisushi06 said:
they go great in a mild salsa!
Thanks I'll try that!

I'm a lot like Otis. I lounge about about until a treat gets involved. Then I'm all ears.

I'd say Sante Fe is right and the Inca Drop looks like its pictures. I'm growing out my first Incas this year.

Those A. Sadisnit  look pretty interesting; like an Anaheim that packs a Fatalli whallop. I wanna hear a report on those.

Lovin the Glog today. Lots of good vibes. Nice looking pods. Glad to here no rattles. Pics of Otis made my day. Give him another treat for me. Thanks Scott for sharing.

jedisushi06 said:
hell yeah!
Exactly!

I'm lovin' it!

HillBilly Jeff said:
The ones you say no heat, none at all?  Could be a sante fe cross or something.  

If you're growing inca's, they look about right to me.

Looking good, but I am glad I am not in the 90s already...I'd have germ trouble with a lot of direct sow if I was.
Thanks Jeff!

Yeah the direct sow was March 1st around here. Gotta go with your seasons temps!

I know I planted some Inca's from pods Annie sent. I didn't think any came up, but with my messing up in record keeping, it seem they did. No bother, I'm sorting them out ;)

meatfreak said:
It does resembles a Jalapeno shape, could be crossed with a sweet pepper. Wow already maters, mine just started to flower today :) earlier then normal so I'm happy.
We had them as poppers this evening, they did have a little heat once they ripened, but not much. But dang they were good! I'm saving the seeds for next year. This pepper is definitely a keeper!

JJJessee said:
I'm a lot like Otis. I lounge about about until a treat gets involved. Then I'm all ears.

I'd say Sante Fe is right and the Inca Drop looks like its pictures. I'm growing out my first Incas this year.

Those A. Sadisnit  look pretty interesting; like an Anaheim that packs a Fatalli whallop. I wanna hear a report on those.
Hah!

Me too, as I get older I see where Otis comes from! He definitely has the game down!

I'll let you know how those A. Sadisnit turn out ;)

Essegi said:
Wonderful!
And glad Otis recoevered well!
Otis did well recovering. I wonder if dogs feel the old injuries like we humans do?

That's my fear; I feel all those injuries from when I was younger. So I wonder about the battle wounds our soldiers endure. Mine are tiny compared to theirs, really tiny!

OCD Chilehead said:
Lovin the Glog today. Lots of good vibes. Nice looking pods. Glad to here no rattles. Pics of Otis made my day. Give him another treat for me. Thanks Scott for sharing.
Thanks Chuck!

Otis is a super mellow dog; unless you come up our driveway (which is gated). He's a fantastic watchdog ;)
Made some wings; spiced them up with the last of Greg's super delicious Scotch Bonnet hot sauce.

738.JPG

Yum!
739.JPG

Plate shot
740.JPG

Woot! it's Sat. night!

Enjoy the weekend!

Back