• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Dot Com's 2012 Grow Log

Start off w/ my habs that weren't far enough along to produce before Fall set-in so I decided to put them in this 2012 Grow Log

Peach on the left, Chocolate in the middle, and Unknown on the right:

6200717245_ffe4852d02_z.jpg

Thats my "3 way daylight, natural color, 6500 K" fluorescent bulb box in the lower right corner.

i use this one at a rate of about 3 tablespoons for a nursery number five pot at about three weeks apart worked into the top two inches and water in
http://merrifieldgar...one---4-lb.aspx

you could use this if you want also
http://www.homedepot...o&storeId=10051

the tomato tone is organic have had good success with either or

good growing

thanks again sensai. I'm not having the best of luck so far this season. Perhaps its because I'm trying to get everything going so soon when the seasons haven't permanently changed over here yet. My over- winters seem to be doing ok, for the most part, but the new seedlings are only having a 50% viability rate.

heres what happened so far:

overwinters:

dorset: survived but dropped all of the first batch of flowers. I really hope I'll get at least one good pod off of this plant as I've never tried it before & I can use the seeds ;) .
choc bhut: pulled through the winter but the three peppers on it are runts. I'm not complaining as I planted it so late last season that i didn't get any peppers off of it.
choc hab: pruned late in the season so its going gangbusters :)
bhut indian carbon: best of the overwinters. has @ 15 buds waiting to flower :)

new starts:
peach hab: first seedlings died. Now have 3 more seedlings but two have seedcaps still on :( seedcaps are too small to cut off too.
naga morich: died last year but I have two new seedlings going now that are on their 2nd set of true leaves.
douglah small seedling came up & died. waiting for more seedlings to come up.
fresno: oldest of the seedlings. Seems ok for now. 3rd set of true leaves.

A nice med sized CFL would probably eliminate all of the probs I'm having. Right now I just have a single curly bulb daylight 6500K for when its cloudy outside. If I had another bulb set- up, I'd have one for germinating & one for growing seedlings when they're in their initial fragile stage.

it may be a good idea to invest in a timer and run the cfl on a 16 on 8 off
schedule for good growing you can get a 23 watt four pack at:
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-25ecodZ5yc1v/R-202913023/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=compact+flourescent+light+bulb&storeId=10051

if you had a little engineering effort could fix these into an array that could cover seven or eight one gallon size
(look at musky mojos seedling area)
http://thehotpepper.com/topic/27642-muskys-twenty-twelve/
see post #6
any kind of sockets will work maybe you could get a few over to the organic grow in the coming weeks?

my overwinter bhut jol ind carbon. Only got 2-3 peppers off of this late last year. Looks like it might produce a lot more this season :surprised: (fingers crossed) It looks big but its only @ 1ft tall right now.

7085089299_f037b830d4_z.jpg

6939013082_9a0ee606bc_z.jpg

can't wait to get 4-5 new seedlings past the initial fragile state. So far its just the fresno & a couple of morich that seemed to have survived. Two morich on left & fresno on right:

6939142014_4342716f31_z.jpg

just had a Datil & a Douglah sprout. Also found some seeds labelled "Jamaican Red Pepper"/"extra hot scotch bonnet" at the local nursery. Wasn't planning on seeing them there so I snatched them up for a song ;) Sowed them a few days ago. Peach hab seedling still coming along and morich still on 2nd set of true leaves. Looks like the weather has changed for good @ here too (fingers crossed)

Looked @ at some plant food/ferts while at the nursery too but the prices were a tad steep for me given I'm only working P/T right now. I saw some fish, seaweed, chitin, etc, ferts that looked appealing. Will check back later about those.

got two hooks on my [background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]"Jamaican Red Pepper"/"extra hot scotch bonnet" today. :dance: peach habs and datils still coming along. Wish my douglah seedling would grow faster [/background][background=rgb(255, 244, 228)] [/background]
[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)] :( [/background]
[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)] ;)[/background]

Those growth rates oughta pick up with the temps- though a window is great for a light source, it is also a source of cooler air(which basically "falls down the window to the bottom/sill area and that will keep your soil temps low)-so you might be seeing a stunting effect from this until the temps turn around in DC.Also, all the "special nutrients" you read about on here are great, but on a budget...nothing wrong with using miracle grow or mira-cid(m-gro for acid loving plants like peppers and tomatoes) in a dilute solution (half or quarter strength) to get some good nutes coming in, just use luke warm water when you do it-and possibly water when you have some heat coming from the window, or even move em temporarily until the water has a few hours to disipate some.I think the growth rates will jump when temps start to work in your favor.Good luck!
Dave

got 3 hooks on my Jamaicans and was able to remove a seed cap, w/o much trouble, from the oldest one too :) Those seed caps can spell the death of a new seedling :(

pics to follow when theres something of note to post.

update. New hook for my naga morich. Since ystrdy this one has gone above the surface of the dirt & another hook has emerged :P :

7281149756_25bcd3c0fe_z.jpg

I have this one labelled choc bhut jolokia but these are red? Anyone know if they turn red before choc?

7281228704_9333cd7b02_z.jpg

windowsill line-up: Scotch bonnet, Morich, Douglah, Peach hab, and Naga Dorset:

7281150994_45bf9bd43d_z.jpg

Anyone know if they turn red before choc?

no, i do not know

i think when they turn color they are considered "ripe"

how hot are they?

please try one or two and let us know

other than them being red, are they really really hot, and do you like them?

Anyone know if they turn red before choc?

no, i do not know

i think when they turn color they are considered "ripe"

how hot are they?

please try one or two and let us know

other than them being red, are they really really hot, and do you like them?
I'll try the middle size one, after I get back from my job today, & let you know.

ate the mid-size pod off of the choc bhut jolokia last night and it was :fireball: I had eaten one last year so this was a little bit easier to handle. 5 minutes and then I was back in the "safe-zone" ;) lol :surprised:

i use this one at a rate of about 3 tablespoons for a nursery number five pot at about three weeks apart worked into the top two inches and water in
http://merrifieldgar...one---4-lb.aspx

you could use this if you want also
http://www.homedepot...o&storeId=10051

the tomato tone is organic have had good success with either or

good growing
going there today as I think using my dirt for two seasons has stripped it of its nutrients/minerals?

Thanks for the wisdom nitwit/fellow farmer :party:

Question:Anyone know if they turn red before choc?

Reply:no, i do not know

The Chocolate Bhuts go from green to brown.The ripe color is Brown.
An SASE will get you some real Choc Bhut seeds if you are interested ...pm if you want some.
Dave

Question:Anyone know if they turn red before choc?

Reply:no, i do not know

The Chocolate Bhuts go from green to brown.The ripe color is Brown.
An SASE will get you some real Choc Bhut seeds if you are interested ...pm if you want some.
Dave
thanks for the offer. I haven't checked-in in a while. My Douglah & Morich seedlings didn't survive :confused: Prolly because I've used my dirt 2-3 times w/o replenishing it w/ food or fertilizer. Well, I got the Vigoro tomato food and spread a little @ so I'm thinking this will help my other plants.

On the non-pepper front, I've gotten 2 tomato seedlings which I've put on the balcony & 3 marigolds sprouted on the balcony as well. I also sowed a few more Douglah seeds. I have a Morich p;ant growing to @ the 3rd-4th node but I think it might be sick because some of the veins are black colored so I'm not counting on that plant.

okay -oh...I see,holdin' out for pods aren't you?.... :onfire: pm offer still good, will include pods if you can wait 10 days till I hit the beach again.
Dave

i think it is ok to weed out the marigolds and such and just grow food type crops
maybe you can get the other dave to send you the offered choco bhuts and sprout them
and try to get them also planted out at the organic grow where the hot red head was at?

:party:

:tear:

i think it is ok to weed out the marigolds and such and just grow food type crops
maybe you can get the other dave to send you the offered choco bhuts and sprout them
and try to get them also planted out at the organic grow where the hot red head was at?

:party:

:tear:
the reason I'm growing the Marigold is I've read where they are beneficial to root systems/combating nematodes(?)

Update on the Naga Dorset over-wintered from last season. Seems to be exploding. (I gave it some of the tomato food you recommended nitwit ;) ) It would be so kewl to be able to get @ 20+ pods off of this one to make a Dorset sauce :P

On the left is my ancient Peach Habanero (Its 2 months old and 2 inches high) & on the right- my Datils.

7426105316_aee0ec57d2_z.jpg

7426106398_07c43f9067_z.jpg

Back