• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

hot-sauce EL Yucateco Chile Habanero Hot Sauce

chilehunter said:
I used up a bottle of this sauce "el yucateco" awhile ago but it was the red hab version(I dont like green sauces). & yea its priced right (? $1.50 - $2 ?)
but I wasnt so thrilled about the flavour, dont get me wrong it wasnt completely nasty just IMO its a sauce that needs to be mixed into other foods you're cooking so you dont taste it fully.(Ex. chilli - spagetti sauce) its a sauce I wouldnt sit down & eat the sauce on some chips.
the heat is good.

The real Mexican / Mayan version is brown. And much better and hotter than the red or green ones.

so it really sounds like we ALL agree;
el yucateco makes damn good sauces at a damn good price! regardless of which one you get.

JayT said:
The real Mexican / Mayan version is brown. And much better and hotter than the red or green ones.
Ya, that's the one I;m talkin about.

koolguymike said:
so it really sounds like we ALL agree;
el yucateco makes damn good sauces at a damn good price! regardless of which one you get.
Ehh, I stay away from the other ones because they have artificial colors in them.

so I suppose the only way to get that brown version thats tastier is through finding a online supplier, since I've only seen the red/green versions.

another thing you might not want to think about is at those prices, it makes you wonder how they stack up against our FDA standards :beer: :cool:

I've had the pleasure of trying the one you speak of on pizza, its simply delicious.
But I actually discovered the triple x before, and I'm totally in love with it, I just which it came in litre bottles!
I've made some truly excellent guacamole with it, and its always a treat on burritos and nachos!

I'm not much of a guy for sauces that I can get in the store because they aren't usually what I like. However, I do regularly buy this sauce. I actually really enjoy it. If you like sardines douse it on that with some saltines.....GOOD MIXTURE!! I also put a ton of it on my Taco Bell today at work. Very tasty, it takes more to plop on, but like you said if it's doused on it will burn your tongue and it tastes good.

I have read El Yucateco is one of the most used sauces in Mexico. We get it here in Washington state in the small Mexican stores for about $1.89 +/-. According to what I've read the red is an eight on the scale the green a nine and the xxxbrown a ten.
I use it all of time and carry it with me in many eateries.

stillmanz said:
nope Bent I got it off Fireworks foods in Sydney.

I've been to the Fireworks Foods store, it's only about a 20 minute drive from my place. nice people that own it. when I went there last year I gave them a whole heap of birdseyes that I bought from Paddys Markets earlier that day.

dreamtheatervt said:
Walmart sells it with in the Mexican section (not with the other hor sauces) for $1.17 a bottle.

The Caribean and XXXHot (Mayan) are also artificial color free, for those who are offended.

I agree with everyone else, I love the stuff and it does have more bang for your buck than almost anything out there.

The XXXHot (Kutbil Ik original Mayan Recipe) is my go-to sauce for burritos. It's just so damn tasty and HOT. Half a bottle with a big burrito will burn your face.

I also like the Green and Red (though the green more so) but have never tried the Caribbean. I need to find that one.

The bottle is cheaper than any comparable sauces, but it IS a 4 oz bottle. No matter. It's wicked stuff and definitely deserves props for being a real hot sauce that has some kick and is generally available.

Tabasco is so overrated.

I do love tabasco and seafood and lemon....but I digress........

El Yucateca mad it by being the goto for real mexicans.

We gringos benefit from their knowledge of what is the real deal, and demanding it cheap.

I am using the Yucateco Salsa Picante de Chile Habenero -It says "much more habenero" on the bottom of the label- and "RED HOT SAUCE" on the side-
watching all you chile heads discussing what you can stand- where does this rate for heat amongst the other Yucateco sauces you are discussing?

As I am new at this I do not know where my level of heat tolerance/enjoyment actually is....I just know that since I tried some homegrown salsa I dont like the stuff at the grocery anymore-and I dont like tabasco much, either(except for the chipotle, when I want something mild).

The Mayan recipe has been my favorite for years, but finding it has been hit or miss. Evertime I find someplace that has it one time, they no longer stock it the next time I vist. I haven't seen it locally for over a year now - only the green and red versions, which I am not as fond of. I actually mail-ordered several bottles online last fall just so I could have some more.

Celeste said:
I am using the Yucateco Salsa Picante de Chile Habenero -It says "much more habenero" on the bottom of the label- and "RED HOT SAUCE" on the side-
watching all you chile heads discussing what you can stand- where does this rate for heat amongst the other Yucateco sauces you are discussing?

I'd say the Mayan Recipe one (XXXHot Kutbil Ik) is maybe 4 times hotter than the Green Habanero one and maybe 5 times hotter than the one you mentioned. It's hot enough to satisfy my need to sweat when eating a burrito and that's saying a lot.

This is coming from a guy who likes to pour copious amounts of Wrath of God over his ceviche tostadas before eating them.

Back