• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Empanadas...

I'd like to dedicate this appetizer recipe to a good Argentine friend of mine, Ruben whose recovering from a 5-way heart by-pass. He spent a good part of his life traveling with his band (drummer) from one country to the next. ........ here's my take on the dish probably similar to one that's made from a South American region

Ingredients: Mint, Cilantro, Oregano, Culantro, Italian Parsley, Lime Leaves, Garlic, Onion, Shallot, Scallions, Jamaican Red Hab, Aji Venezolano Pepper, Eggs, Flour, Flour, Cream, Pepper, Salt, Ground Beef (85/15) Sunflower Oil, Olive Oil, Cumin, Golden Raisens, Paprika, Spanish Olives.

Blend the 1/2 cup of each Mint, Cilantro, Oregano, Italian Parsley, Culantro,  ,...Lime Leaves (3), Scallions (green parts only)  4 chopped green Aji Peppers along with 2 tbls of water. While blender is running drizzle in Olive Oil to a loose but blended sauce forms. Add Salt and Pepper to taste. Set aside. ...Meanwhile, hard boil eggs...when cooled down, peel and chop. Set aside.

Brown the Ground Beef  (2lbs) in 2 tbls of Sunflower Oil, add  1 chopped onion, 6 minced Garlic Cloves,5 Red Habaneros, 2 tbl Cumin, 1 tbl Paprika, When the meat is browned remove pan from heat  Stir in Hard Boiled Eggs, 1/2  c of Golden Raisens,  1/2 c chopped Olives. Set aside

In a mixer cream 1 stick of unsalted Butter and 8oz Cream Cheese. Fold in and gradually mix 1.5 c Flour, 1 tsp Baking Soda, 1 tbl Sugar,  Remove dough when clumped together. Knead to combine and flatten into disc.

Place dough in the fridge for at least 30 min. ( I made 2 discs total).

The dough was removed from the fridge and rolled out to about 1/8" thick piece. I used a 4" cutting disc, then placed each piece in a tortilla press to get a thin uniform piece. A smell scoop was used for the filling and a brush of a beaten Egg was brushed on half the dough. Fold dough over and pinch/fold the edges. Fire up oven to 350. Brush tops of Empanadas with a mix of beated Egg and Cream.

Bake for 12 to 15 min.   ...(I should have used a regular size sheet pan)....over sized pans have there purpose, but even with a convection running its difficult to get an even bake with the lack of overall air circ.

The plating....Beef Empanadas with a slurry of Chimichurri............hmm..........where's the Malbec ?

Yesterday, in the dinner has empanadas. My wife was cooking when I arrive of the work.

2014-12-01%252021.54.55.jpg

2014-12-01%252021.55.05.jpg

2014-12-01%252021.55.20.jpg

2014-12-01%252021.57.06.jpg

2014-12-01%252021.58.15.jpg

Argentinean: Baked
Rest of the world: Fried

I like both. At one point I liked baked better, it was more of a "hand pie" than the fried, but then I felt after awhile, they tasted too bready. Especially when the crust is thick. I needed that deep fried goodness where the bread is transformed into a golden brown crust.

Both can be done bad or well. Some fried ones start to deteriorate in the oil and the crust doesn't hold up. End up greasy and the crust has holes in it.

It's all in the recipe and technique. I feel for baked, roll that crust thin! And fried... don't know the secret, but the good ones hold up when fried.

Anyone got a good recipe for fried including dough and preferred oil and oil temps?

Edit: Puff pastry could solve the bready issue for baked. Is that traditional there too? Never seen them like that until you posted.

THP: Here frying and baking alike

To frying exist different methods ... Sunflower oil or bovine fat (or porcine) used (are the most common)

The fried pies with bovine fat assure you are best flavor and texture will have. Although the tasty is not always healthy. In this case it is not, but worth it.

The secret is the point of the oil (or fat) should be maintained at 180°C (350°F). Never exceed this temperature because you will have bad taste. 350F is the right spot for frying any mass. The higher the temperature the oil is burned and damaged, it gives a bad taste to the food.

I disagree on the oil temp in general having a bad taste over 350, but for empanadas maybe it's the key.

Every oil has a different smoke point:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smoke_point

But for empies I don't want them all deteriorated, so next time, I'm trying 350 with a neutral oil.

Thanks dude!

Use coconut oil for dead nuts neutral
and YES BEST flavor is with L  A  R  D  . . . . .. . "period"

Lard is pig fat, he said cow fat.

I generally bake the empanadas .....but  in the past I've also blanched in oil and froze for future use.    As far as frying, the best dough is layered like a Strudel with butter...or as some bakers do paint on the commercial liquid margarine between the folds and stretches. Fried are the tastiest.....imo

Yes layered but not as thin as puff pastry right? (Filo).

Only seen that for baking, and not for empies.

Yeah lard is for crisping stuff or adding flavor/moisture but deep frying in it wow lol.

I could see adding lard to the dough like tortillas.

The Hot Pepper said:
Yeah lard is for crisping stuff or adding flavor/moisture but deep frying in it wow lol.

Taking a trip wayback when....I remember homemade doughnuts  fried in lard...........adding the sugar glaze...was the nutz !

I can see that, like a shallow fry in CI and flip. Just thinking of empanadas they cook best when submerged. I can't picture lard. Nor do I want it.

The Hot Pepper said:
Yes layered but not as thin as puff pastry right? (Filo).

Only seen that for baking, and not for empies.

Not as thin as Filo......I've done that 1/8" thick when finished. Everything needs to be chilled......marble/stone...flour...butter..............drink

As you know cold dough handles and fries up better than room temp....outside of a tempura or wet mix, I like to fridge or freeze any item prior to hitting the oil.

Back