• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Essegi 2015

Here i am with my humble growing!
That year only superhots, there were just too many that i wanted to try.

The seeds, all form Semillas:
i3Bz4S98XmOZH.jpg

I gave 5 of each to a friend of mine. So i have 6 of all but TSMCaramel (7), BrainStrain (5) and Jay Peach (5).
Total 59.
I plan to keep 2 of each + 1 for another friend of mine. If more, giveaway.

Today i started that seeds:
ibxwAGx72iEMvS.jpg

Overwintered:
iXv4onS8jWY7M.jpg

7pod on left (maybe i'll give it to an aunt of mine), rocoto on right. Maybe i pruned it too ealy... I hope that year to harvest something from that one.

Well... Now let's see who germintates...

Since i have no sprout to show i start with some pizza of yesterday.
Tomato passata is homemade from tomatoes of 2014. Also I used fatalli and moruga powder on some. Toppings: pepperoni, bacon, red onion marinated in evo and bp and salt, olives, mozz (thick slices).

ibvKHqJPHTBlfv.jpg

ik4J1dNUdLY4a.jpg

iifa1DkKkg942.jpg

irbqH1qYvpbUV.jpg

ibmvhMQFn6QJZC.jpg

i2WKr9kt9ejAi.jpg

Airiness looks very irregular and mostly bad (the third one is the only decent in that regard), at least taste was good.

Cool.  Thanks for the info.  I should have recognized the bucaneve/Galanthus nivalis/snowdrop, since it is cultivated around here.  I have some pictures of it somewhere, but I think they are from the old film and print days.  We have a native Erythronium around here, too, that is often called dog-tooth violet or trout lily, though it is neither a violet nor a lily.  I have some growing in my back yard, but they aren't blooming yet this year.  There is another native here called rue anemone.  It's not a true anemone, but the flower shape is very similar.  I like the violets; there are several native species here, my favorite being the bicolor bird's-foot violet.  I've seen white violets here, but they are rare.

Fruit trees and wildflower pics look gorgeous Giancarlo, it's nice to see somewhere that spring is happening. We're still at the snow-melt stage, but at least the sap is now running in the Maple trees here and some days are fairly warm when the sun's out. Have you ever tasted Maple sugar?

Sorry to hear about your cat. :( I like them, but my wife has allergies to them so we can't have any.

Beautiful eye for the flowers, Giancarlo!

Looks like Spring has sprung in your neck o' the woods!

Thanks Paul. It's truly spectacular.

Sawyer said:
Cool.  Thanks for the info.  I should have recognized the bucaneve/Galanthus nivalis/snowdrop, since it is cultivated around here.  I have some pictures of it somewhere, but I think they are from the old film and print days.  We have a native Erythronium around here, too, that is often called dog-tooth violet or trout lily, though it is neither a violet nor a lily.  I have some growing in my back yard, but they aren't blooming yet this year.  There is another native here called rue anemone.  It's not a true anemone, but the flower shape is very similar.  I like the violets; there are several native species here, my favorite being the bicolor bird's-foot violet.  I've seen white violets here, but they are rare.
Nice. My fav violets are the ones we call mammola (viola odorata) that is the one i shoot i think... The problem is that the colour in pics (also searching the net) is worse than real life. Some bicolors are here too.

stickman said:
Fruit trees and wildflower pics look gorgeous Giancarlo, it's nice to see somewhere that spring is happening. We're still at the snow-melt stage, but at least the sap is now running in the Maple trees here and some days are fairly warm when the sun's out. Have you ever tasted Maple sugar?

Sorry to hear about your cat. :( I like them, but my wife has allergies to them so we can't have any.
Thanks Rick.
I've never had Maple sugar.
And also i didn't knew what sap means aside that: https://www.sap.com. New word learnt.

That morning other 2 hooks (1 on big vase, 1 on glass, now 3 out of 5) on unknown annuum.
Brainstrain is rocking.

Thanks!

Showing bigger plants. Today they're outside also if it's cloudy and not really hot... They're still taking more light than indoor led that is a bit lower than last days for news prouts.

Also i've had 100% germ of 5 glasses of that unknown annuum. Nice. I've given the big vase with small sprouts to a friend of mine.

Also there were 2 Caramel Moruga that weren't grwoing at all. Cuorious since the best plant of second batch is a Caramel Moruga. Also i had 2 unknown plants that popped up along tomatoes and basil, they too aren't growing... I've planted them outside since i need some room, better than throw them away...

Click to expand. There are some minor burns on some leaves but nothing too bad.

Bhut Peach, Red and Peach Jay's. That one have a similar shape, a bit taller and less wide than other peppers.

Moruga chocoalte, yellow, caramel. That are the smallest but are growing well.

BrainStrain and BBG, the best ones.

Buthc T and Primo.

Caramel Moruga from Jamison, the best of second wave till now.

Really small oak tree. Most probably it's a roverella (quercus pubescens).

stickman said:
In the interests of cultural exchange I got you a small cake of Maple sugar today Giancarlo. If you pm me your mailing address I'll get it in the post to you. Cheers!
Many thanks!

Your outside plants are starting to extend nicely, Giancarlo.
Looks like your going to have a great season.

Have fun growing out the unknown annuum - mysteries are fun!

Thanks!

First bad news (not so new...).
Ow 7pod, the one i had to give to an aunt of mine, died. Also ow red rocoto is on a bad shape and i fear it's risking too... I suppose i've trimmed in the wrong time...

And i spotted some aphids on small plants on heating room while taking some pics... I think i didn't spot them that morning. For now i've just removed them with a toothpick, they were barely 10... No poisons or other stuff for now. I'm watching closely.
At least biggest plants that are kept on a colder place seems fine...

Those are that mistery annuums where i spotted aphids. They're really robusts, while other bigger plants have suffered the sun those ones in spite of being much younger are perfect.

Oh and also an hook and a sprout of Kurtovska Kapija, seeds from Stickman!

Sprout is from yesterday and hook from today... Planted 8 days ago... 2 out of 11. Hope to see more.
Thanks Rick!

Here my 2 best plants:

Brainstrain:

Some burning... Now i'm just leaving them to full Sun all day... Wind it's not so hot, but Sun is strong!
Btw today it's cloudy and tomorrow should rain and be cold... So i'm just keeping them inside. They won't getting much light but at least no more burning...

Jay's Peach:

Buds! Not just that one but many plants!

Figs:

Here a small oak (probably a roverella, quercus pubescens):

I had another one but i gifted to someone that should give to someone else to make a bonsai... 

Another kind of oak... I've yet to understood wich species (i thought about turneri but i'm not sure at all), i must go to my aunt where there's the parent and see,

Also a small ginkgo biloba.

Add also a yew... I have some plants on pot that can live over 1 thousand years, i must think what to do. :P

Good job hunting down the aphids, Giancarlo!  
Everything looks great.  the Brainstrain and Jay's
Peach are robust plants!

PaulG said:
Good job hunting down the aphids, Giancarlo!  
Everything looks great.  the Brainstrain and Jay's
Peach are robust plants!
Thanks, i was lucky to spot them just after they had shown!

stickman said:
Excellent that you're growing the Kapijas Giancarlo! Good luck with 'em, I'm sure you'll enjoy the peppers. :)
Thanks again, i'm sure too i'll enjoy them. ;)

cypresshill1973 said:
That plants loking good! Essegi

PS:  we miss their pizzas  ;)
Thanks! About pizza i have e bit less time lately... And i must solve a critical issue, i'm just not able to slide pizzas from shovel to surface... Also i've burnt refractory surface (not that it's a big problem since it's the only part that i needed to change of the oven).

Trident chilli said:
Giancarlo all looking good ... especially BBG .. huge leaves compared to others ... pick out those aphids
Thanks! Bigger leaves are from BrainStrain and are 10*15cm! Primo has big leaves too!

Nice progress on the plants Giancarlo. Oaks are nice too, love them trees and oak wood is good to do neat stuff from...

What will you do with the buds - you gonna let them flower? My serranos are thinking of flowering too, but I'm thinking maybe I should top them or just pinch off the buds. What do you think ?
Keep them aphids under control! You're doing fine so far.

I had 100% germination of the Kapijas I got from Rick.  I bet you'll get more than 2. 

I went for a hike today and came back with three well-sprouted acorns (I have no idea what species).  I'll have to think of where to plant them.

Happy Easter all!

tsurrie said:
Nice progress on the plants Giancarlo. Oaks are nice too, love them trees and oak wood is good to do neat stuff from...

What will you do with the buds - you gonna let them flower? My serranos are thinking of flowering too, but I'm thinking maybe I should top them or just pinch off the buds. What do you think ?
Keep them aphids under control! You're doing fine so far.
Thanks!
I don't know what will be the best, last year i didn't have buds that time... I leave them here and see.
No aphids that morning.:D

Sawyer said:
I had 100% germination of the Kapijas I got from Rick.  I bet you'll get more than 2. 

I went for a hike today and came back with three well-sprouted acorns (I have no idea what species).  I'll have to think of where to plant them.
That morning another hook!
Good luck with acorns! If you discover the specie i'm cuorious to see what species is.
Here i found there are lots of oak varieties in Arkansas http://www.encyclopediaofarkansas.net/encyclopedia/entry-detail.aspx?entryID=2104

Essegi said:
Happy Easter all!

Thanks!
I don't know what will be the best, last year i didn't have buds that time... I leave them here and see.
No aphids that morning. :D

That morning another hook!
Good luck with acorns! If you discover the specie i'm cuorious to see what species is.
Here i found there are lots of oak varieties in Arkansas http://www.encyclopediaofarkansas.net/encyclopedia/entry-detail.aspx?entryID=2104

Happy Easter to you, too!

I think the acorns I picked up yesterday may be Shumard's Oak, Quercus shumardii.  Yes, there are many, many species of oaks here in Arkansas.  I have several Blackjack Oaks, Quercus marilandica, here on my property.  They are very slow-growing and the wood is very dense.  Often they are left to grow because they are so hard to chop down.  I believe some of the mountain tops around here have 300-400 y.o. virgin forests of these because of that and the fact the soil isn't all that great for agriculture.  They aren't recognized as such by many because even at that age, they are relatively small trees. 

I have two very small White Oaks, Quercus alba that I grew from acorns.  They are several years old, but still very small.  One has never produced more than a single, very short shoot above ground.  The other had three shoots about a third of a meter high last year, but I noticed the other day that something, deer or rabbit, has eaten it back down to about 20 cm.  I assume they've both been producing a good root structure, so maybe this year will be the year they take off.  They are planted at the two corners of my property facing the highway and I hope some day will provide visual anchors for same.  I also have one single Northern Red Oak, Quercus rubra, out back.  I'm not sure where the parent tree is, but every year I have several of these come up from acorns dropped or planted by birds and squirrels.  This one is several years old and is just one I happened to mow around because it was in a convenient location.  It is already about 12 meters tall and produces lovely red fall foliage.

Thanks Sawyer, i really enjoyed that post!
Lately i'm enjoyng just looking trees... I know nothing about that so should study a bit.

Where i live unfortunately there aren't many old trees... Most are just cut fo wood.
For sure there are some old olive trees (but not even as remotely as south Italy or islands). I remember some very old hyppocastanum that were cut because they had some mass disease.
I am not aware of old oaks in my hills, i know there's some in north east here over 500 years but i've never seen them.

I remembered that plant:

I just took the photo now from my terrace. Although there are some (not so) small trunks (one for sure has been cut), the base is about 1mt, this could be about 100 years (not sure, they're fast growing also if with long life)... It's a bagolaro (celtis australis). Really a sturdy and beautiful plant.
I had some just out my home on the sidewalk till the municipality decided to eradicate them (not easily since roots are incredibly strong) cause they were breaking the soil... They are called spaccasassi (rock breaker). I wonder who had the wonderful idea to plant something called rockbreaker on a tiled sidewalk.

Back