food Everythang' Tex-Mex!

Alright! Glad you did something with them.

I like to be eating your meat roll-ups. (not to be confused with hotdogs, but I'd eat those too).

You know I am eating a very fine Delmonico/Ribeye steak right now as I type this that doubt is above prime, but cooked correctly and seasoned properly as I have done it, it is better than nearly all restaurant steaks I can buy nearby. Sorry, no pics on this one, but I bought three more just like it and one of them is gettin' cooked very directly.

Yeah, Keystone State steaks are good. I remember first time visiting in a long time......at the store....going WTF is a Delmonico??? Oh, thats what these folks up here call Ribeyes!

A NY strip is a shell steak in NY. Go figure!

Shell steak????? In New York????? That doesn't make sense! But I internetted it. Its true! Weirdness. Only in NY :surprised:

mrs. blues just whooped up a platter of nachos for herself. Hear me now, believe me later but these are the ingredients.

85/15 ground chuck
Taco Bell brand taco seasoning
black olives
avocado
Baja sauce (sour cream, mayo, lime juice)
Chipotle Ranch dressing
Shredded 4 cheese Mexi-blend cheese
Mission Round corn chips

At least she didn't use ketchup.

IMG_3620.jpg

Tex-Mex cheapness.

Some hot pepper powder in that ground chuck with the taco seasoning and a little brown sugar
added to it. MMMMMmmmmmmm!!!!!

I lived in dallas for a few years. Best mexican and BBQ I ever had.

And you think bacon is unhealthy... Go figure.
Juss playin bro. I like your el cheapness nachonessess.
Leftover chorizo from breakfast will land on some chipees later, and will go down much in the same fashion, as you got goin on here.

Hah! I'll be havin' none of that stuff. Read again. She made those for herself.

uhm..check that. She could only eat less than half, it was just too rich with avo and the ranch and cheese. She gave the rest to me and I could only get through a little bit. Too heavy and rich. This stuff makes bacon take a time out and go hide in the corner! For true it be a real gut bomb.

The mayo and ranch would have been too much richness for me. Sour cream, lime, cumin would do it for me; much lighter. Toss in chipotle powder, done.

Hey y'all. Over the course of the last year I have become aware of some of the different texas fusion cuisines that are gathering attention. Robb Walsh is a nationally recognized authority on all 'thangs tex-mex and some of his articles and books have tipped me off as to what lies simmering just beneath the surface in texas cuisine. With the influx of Vietnamese immigrants in the '70's, as well as the rise of Korean and other Asian influences to Texas, new buzzwords have come to light. Tex-Viet. Tex-Korean. Tex-Asian.

I myself have experienced some of these new to me fusion styles and I think they are playing an ever increasing roll in changing the face of Texas cuisine. From Japanese Fish burgers to Kalbi style taco's, its not only all good but I think its here to stay.

Rather than begin a new thread for some of my rants and posts on the subject, I'll just incorporate them into this thread as most of what I have to say is directly related to all 'thangs Texas.

So I popped into the local Try-N-Save aka Kroger, and low and behold fresh AK sockeye is on sale for $9.99 a pound. Of course I had to snap some up so came home with a side. Now in the past I have been an advocate for farm raised salmon due to its cheaper price and consistency but over the last year my opinion has "flip flopped" if you will but not for the reasons you are thinking. My view is solely based on the fact that most, if not all of the farm raised product I have bought in the past has been IMPORTED from other countries. In these days of recession and hard times for US fisherman and processors, I have decided to stick with US wild caught seafood. I no longer purchase shrimp from Asia or India. No more catfish from Vietnam. Sure it means I pay more but honestly I'd rather spend my $$ on US products only. Texas and gulf coast shrimp, mahi mahi, redfish, etc. are as good a fare as any and within 24 hours of being caught can wind up on my table. How's that for fresh! Of course having spent so many years in Alaska, I have a special place in my heart for Alaskan seafood, especially salmon. I've eaten so much of the stuff in my life, if you were to combine all the fish I've eaten, the total amount would be the sum of a mid sized river wherein I have consumed enough to wipe out the run! Fear not though y'all, AK Dept. of Fish & Game strictly monitor wild stocks ensuring returns on wild stocks on all species.

'K, enough gobbledy gook, here's how I rolled last night.

Got the filet unwrapped and of course the color is the deep red color typical of wild sockeye.

Beautiful!

IMG_3726.jpg

I grabbed a pair of needle nosed pliers to pull the bones and as I ran my finger along the bone line I was quickly disappointed. The flesh was a bit on the mushy side. It could be one of several factors. Possibly it sat directly on ice for too long. The filet itself was on the small side as per sockeye in general which indicated to me that it was more than likely a hen or female. As is typical with all salmon hens have a tendency to have softer flesh than bucks/males as much of the fish's energy goes into the production of eggs. I had hoped to grill this little girl but deemed it would not hold up as well, so opted to do her pan style.

I really had not clue but my noggin was telling me to do up some sort of tex-asian red head bastard style. For true I'm wingin' it 100%.

IMG_3727.jpg

Got the pan hot, splashed in a little canola oil, some texas sweet onions and some sambal olek.

IMG_3728.jpg

Once that was sweated, I dredged sockeye filets in flour and got those goin' on.

IMG_3729.jpg

Here's where the red headed bastard step child took over. I splashed in some Yoshida's which I've had forever and need to use up. Then some more sambal olek and some Squid brand fish sauce. CAUTION: Use this stuff sparingly! Its very salty but will also enhance a wide variety of dishes, especially seafood. A must have in your pantry for asian cooking. And cheap too! A buck fitty for the big bottle I have of the stuff.

IMG_3730.jpg

WTF? Now you may be asking. C'mon now, y'all know me. It's gotta be Texas style mojoficated with a little scheeze, green onion, and a butter made flour tortilla. (the butter torts are made fresh at the local Kroger and are AWESOME! mrs. blues and I are both addicted like a couple meth heads,)

IMG_3731.jpg

Have mercy and good Gawd' y'all this stuff was guuuuuud! Just the right amount of heat from the chile sauce and not too salty. Even with the Yoshida's and chile and fish sauce, the flavor of the fish still shown through. I attribute that to the fish sauce. A little dab'll do ya'. I ate 2 taco's and in between building them I was also shoveling fingers full of the fish into my piehole. If'n you were to have been here, y'all would have done the same 'thang.

Salute'!

KA-friggen-B O O M !
Nice moves TB. Of all the fishienestes in the sea, Salmon is the best choice for what you got goin on up in theah. IMHO.
Is that cheddar on the Faco? I can honestly say, I've never had cheddar on my Salmon, never even thought of it.
Damm straight if I was there, we'd go to blows over the very last one... And then drink more of course.

100% with you on the farmed stuff. We get this stuff here raised in the Columbia called 'fat fish'.
They call it "Columbia River Salmon" in the grocery store, and for the money (dirt cheap) it's, um, ok.
Reminds me of Humpies from Puget Sound. At least the $$$ for it stays here. Glad to hear you watch closely where yours goes.

Nice post TB.

Dang skippy on the cheddar scheeze Scovie.

I'da never thunk it until a fishing guide pal of mine did it on one of his shore lunches. I recall we were fishing a dozen anglers with 5 or 6 guides on the Kulukak river for kings. The head guide Brian put together a big spread of grilled fish done several ways all over a wood fired grill. One whole side of fish would have '57 and honey. Another lemon pepper and dill. Another horseradish and parm. Another with shredded cheddar melted on top at the finish. Still another with Vietnamese black bean and onions.

My favorites were the Viet black bean and the '57 and honey. Everyone else loved the horseradish and parm and the one with melted cheddar. All of them rocked harder than chinese 'rithmetic!

I 'member you posted about the Fat Fish earlier.

I did see that there is some US steelhead being marketed that was labeled as farm raised which I believe to be mislabeled. More likely they are hatchery fish with the adipose fin clipped upon release from the hatchery to distinguish them from wild stock. Upon returning to spawn they go right back to the hatchery right into the fish weir for harvest.

If I could not eat meat anymore I'd surely miss a good cheeseburger something awful but thats about it. I can live with just seafood. Damned beef is $4.29 a pound for 80/20 ground chuck round here. I 'member when that was the price for prime ribeye and as much as I love ribeye, I wouldn't miss it that much either.

Hey, Here you are TB! I knew I heard something about fish tacos yesterday!!!!

Those salmon creations looked luscious!!!! What is a butter tortilla??? Sounds downright e-v-i-l!!!! :)

Thanks for the 411 on the fish sauce! I bought some for a pad thai recipe the other day, but wasn't real sure what else to do with it!!!!

:cheers: to seafood!!!!!!

Hey, Here you are TB! I knew I heard something about fish tacos yesterday!!!!

Those salmon creations looked luscious!!!! What is a butter tortilla??? Sounds downright e-v-i-l!!!! :)

Thanks for the 411 on the fish sauce! I bought some for a pad thai recipe the other day, but wasn't real sure what else to do with it!!!!

:cheers: to seafood!!!!!!

Much obliged CJ.

I had some Vietnamese friends back in Alaska and just like the Franks Red Hot commercial but with fish sauce....

They put that sheeit on everything.

Flour tortilla's traditionally are made with lard. Not too long ago Central Market down in Plano was selling in house made flour tortilla's made with butter. Very buttery tasting and the aroma is intoxicating. No more calories than regular flour tortilla's either.

By the way, down here Central Market is the shizzel! High end foods galore. Lots of foo foo stuff but all quality. I try to go there no more than once a month. Its the kind of place you walk in to buy 2 items at most. 2 hours later you walk out after dropping $250 on everything from bottles of wine and hard to find imported beer to 25 day dry aged beef ribeye selling @$35 bucks a pound. Snot nosed hoity toity at its finest all in a Sam's Club sized building.

FD and Sum took us to a place like that in Miami. I'm not sure if it's the same or not. We were doing the touron thing, (complete with my camera around my neck, plah!) so we couldn't stay long, but i could have spent hours there. They had fresh fish from around the world, a hi end deli with fantastic looking salads and meats.
Seattle has Larry's Market which is along the same lines, you might remember them, they were pretty new the years you were here. The women that went there were in FULL hair and make up. The joke was, they went there to meet rich men, funny thing tho, the only men that shopped there were, um... "batting for the other team" if you will. lol I'm sure it's different now, cuz there's more of them. I wish we had a store like that here, ahh well, there's a trade off for living in the wilderness. :D

There was a Larry's market on 99 just north of SeaTac that I used to go to back in '91? I think. It was one of the new concept super stores and heavy on the high end factor. Last time I was in Seattle it was gone and turned into some kind of lame ass discount store. I remember going to a Thriftway in west Seattle that was pretty cool and of course Albertson's were everywhere.
Last time I went there Pike Place was still the shizznit! Who knows, you might run into me one day munching on a hum bao by the big pig.

All I know about the stores in FL is the Publix Market in Marathon, in the Keys. From the deli I got and ate the dadgum best cuban sammich I ever eated. EVER! The pickles were like POW! The mustard BLAM! The pork and the ham was KAH-BOOM!!! The scheeze was SWISS!!!! The bun was BUNNY!!!

So y'all I've been tryin' to get back on the healthy food bandwagon but I really have been wanting to do up some Cuban picodillo. Well crap! I didn't want to use beef so I decided to make it with ground turkey that was bought for mrs. blues a while back but she didn't eat and has been taking up space in The Blues Freezer. I normally don't eat the stuff myself. With all due respect to Cubans, I won't insult you by saying this is actually picodillo since I used turkey.

So what I got...

ground turkey
garlic cloves
jalapeno
green bell pepper
onion
roma tomato
green olives
raisins
capers
tomato paste
cumin
mexican oregano

I halved some whole cloves of garlic and got them roasting in black betty.

IMG_3801.jpg

Next came the veggies.

IMG_3804.jpg

Then the turkey and after a little browning the olives, raisins, and capers.

IMG_3805.jpg

And finally, the tomato paste, cumin and oregano, and sea salt. BANG!

IMG_3806.jpg

Now I WAS going to go all wimp on this and just put it in a bowl and eat it.

Screw that noise!!

This is Texas. I'm a Texan. Dammit!

I can't help but to Tex-Mexificate it by slapping it on a flour tortilla with some melted scheeze.

Cheapass box merlot in a red solo cup only enhances the culinary experience.

IMG_3807.jpg

Lemme' 'splain y'all.

This stuff rocks! The sweetness of the raisins in combo with the briny capers and olives really set it off. Had I used a quality ground chuck, it could only be super wombat chingon!!

I had lots of leftovers too and just tried some cold right out of the fridge. Even cold, the stuff just gets better the next day!!

POW!!

Back