food Everythang' Tex-Mex!

Got me another pot of pinto's going as per mrs. blues request.

She wasn't really interested in them the last time until she saw me mojoficatin' 'em with scheeze and sour cream.

IMG_3946.jpg

BB's?

Black beans?

Black beans yes.

With tequila, no.

I like lots of cumin in black beans.

I have a heap of dried chile's I need to use up soon and next time I think I'll do up some ranch style beans.

Damn there's some good looking food going on, looks like I'll have to add tacos to this weeks dinners

Screw taco's.

The only thang we want to see out of your ass are those farkin' awesome wood fired pizzas!

Me and everyone else that has seen your posts for 'em are just sick with respect for you and a no certain amount of jealousy!

Your sheeit rocks!

Something about yours looks wayyy better than ours.

I'm so hungry right now, I would put those Penos and Beans in a bowl 1/1 and dump it in a beer bong...

I have NEVER made beans for dipping with chips. I am rethinking this now.

I used store bought fried tostada rounds.

They come stacked like regular tortilla's only crispy.

They have more flavor than regular chips.

While cooking the beans I threw in a handful of whole roasted garlic cloves and a whole shallot.

When the beans were done the garlic and shallot just melted into the beans.

mrs. blues had a bowl last night and another for lunch today.

They are pretty dang awesome!

I'll be eating on 'em for the next 2 days but not tonight.

Salmon cakes with pickled tepins.

ambien is partyin' hard up in my noggin' and trying to siexze control of my typing handsl

Don;t how I can hold on much longerrrrdd,

I have squirrel hands right now,

Somebody throw me some peanuts pronto!

Wonder if I can walk down the hall without falling,

Screw it tuj!

Ima crawl on my belly like a reptile!!!!

I just ate a fly

for true I eated it,.....

Hey y'all, I got The Blues Kitchen smellin' like fried salmon cakes last night.

I wasn't sure where to post these and while not exactly Tex-Mex, I reckon doing 'em up fish taco style and the use of Texas Official Wild Chile, the tepin, that was close enough for government work.

I ventured over to the local Try-N-Save looking for a deal on decent fish or shrimp yesterday but no way Jose. Everythang was over priced and looked like crapola.

Good thang I always keep several cans of salmon on hand for 'mergentsies n' sheeit.

So I got a 14 oz can of pink salmon
Texas sweet onion
Garlic
Pickled Chiltepin/Pequin
Oatmeal (that's right OATMEAL! Its a great binder, flavorless, and healthy so quit hatin'!)
1 egg
Kosher salt
FGBP

IMG_3950.jpg

Get it all whirred and stirred. If its too wet, add more oatmeal.

IMG_3951.jpg

Fired up Black Betty on medium heat with a little canola oil.

IMG_3952.jpg

Slap a little shredded cabbage (lettuce blows on fish tacos) on a corn tortilla along with some of the salmon.

I like to be liking splooging it with my version of Baja Sauce. In this case, 1/2 C each of canola mayo and Mexican Crema, zest of one lime, and the juice of 2 limes. Its fishtaculous! I use the little Mexican limes I can get 5/$1.

IMG_3953.jpg

If I recall, I paid a buck .99 for the can of salmon and bought several. The protein part of my diet is almost all fish so I keep a rather large stock of canned salmon, sardines, anchovies, and tuna on hand.

mrs. blues is fond of her fried tuna cakes made with saltine crackers.

As long as I have fish and shrimp, it wouldn't bother me if I never ate another bite of beef or pork ever again. Not that I don't like beef and pork, but often I can get fish cheaper, and its healthier too.

Salute'!

I def agree re: fish and lettuce ... will have to try cabbage sometime ...

I don't eat a lot of fish though, because I only really like grouper, snook, and flouder that I've tried ...

I could live w/o pork, but I couldn't give up beef all that easily ...

They're going to come knock on your door for shit-talkin' beef in Texas!

TB - I simply can't keep up with your Rockin' recipes!!!!!!

Salmon Cake Tacos......ga-geniousness!!!!!!!!

Total Win....True Story!!!!! :D

I def agree re: fish and lettuce ... will have to try cabbage sometime ...

I don't eat a lot of fish though, because I only really like grouper, snook, and flouder that I've tried ...

I could live w/o pork, but I couldn't give up beef all that easily ...

They're going to come knock on your door for shit-talkin' beef in Texas!

Grant, I have to admit I would miss a good hamburger and have no intention of giving them up, so I did lie a little bit.

The midwest drought this year, while not as bad as last year here in Texas, is finding the price of feed corn for stock skyrocketing and overall in short supply. Here in north Texas its getting so many ranchers can't afford to feed their animals and are shipping them off for slaughter. There was a push in congress to get the ethynol producers to stop using corn for a couple months but that got shot down and as a result beef, pork, and chicken are all going up in price big time. We probably won't see the price hike until after the 1st of next year, but its inevitable.

Skirt steak is going for between $7.99 - $8.99 a pound and 80/20 ground chuck is running between $4.29 and $4.79 a pound.

Fresh Texas gulf shrimp on the other hand, I can get 16/20's on sale for $4.99 and sometimes $3.99 a pound. Texas seafood spiked during the BP spill but those prices have since come way down. Seafood may spike again though as demand shifts from beef, pork and chicken to more seafood.

You only like grouper, flounder and snook?

I could live off of those 3 very tasty fish.

But you're in SoFlo, Y U no eat mahi mahi, snapper, cobia, redfish, speckled trout and lobster? You guys have that stuff fresh all year long?

You're living in fisherman's heaven dontcha' know?

Salmon and capers surprise surprise : gomer pile voice : :runs :

Man I love me some Salmon Cakes. I don't care how they're served.

I would catch those in my mouf if you Flinged them 800 yards with a Trebouche.

Yes sir I would.

The Caper lookin things are Piquins? What do they taste like?
It's hard to look at those pics without imagining the flavor profile being Capers.
Are they hot? Like a Jalapeno? The look like "eat with a spoon" worthy.

EDIT. Y O U. N E E D. G L A S S E S. B O S S

Back