• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

annuum Explaination for Jalapeno Burn?

I have seen this discussed many times before, but is there a reason Jalapeno burns can be so insanely unpredictable that I have more difficulty eating them than I would a dried Bhut jolokia.... I mean what's up with that!? Why exactly does this happen, I know its the proportion of capsacinoids that affect the type of burn and what not but I can eat picked jalapenos all the time without any thinking involved but fresh... what's up with that!?

I will be torturing myself tomorrow and eating one whole to adapt my tongue to the specific capsacinoids found in jalapenos, but I was hoping somebody could explain to me why this happens?

Did you mean you can eat "pickled"?
I just finished off a jar of jalapeno harissa with little burn. It was really tasty but didn't have sting to it so I ate tons of it. But I can't eat as much fresh Jalapeno because of the burn. I know what you mean. Don't know why either.

whatt ? thatts crazyy. I've never heard of that.
My guess would be its like a different type of capsaicin or somethingg that you have to build tolerance to seperately ?

I've grown Jalapeno's before that were simply not edible they hurt so bad. Not a good burn, not a normal chili burn, just pain. Bhut's and 7pods are still very hot to me, but are edible and enjoyable. Sometimes you get a Jalapeno that isn't enjoyable at all. Just pain pain pain. I don't know why, I just know that it is.
That's part of the reason I do Hab poppers instead of Jalapeno poppers. I know I'm going to be eating something hot, but it won't make me want to spit it out.

I would love to try one someday!

I have never been blown away from the heat of the Jalapeno pepper before.

This sounds very interesting!

I've had this happen to me once. I was using some store-bought Jalapenos for a dish and when all was said and done the meal was basically inedible it was so painfully hot. I've pretty much stopped using Jalapenos since then.

I've had this happen to me once. I was using some store-bought Jalapenos for a dish and when all was said and done the meal was basically inedible it was so painfully hot. I've pretty much stopped using Jalapenos since then.

Yeah I was just wondering, I am glad I'm not crazy! Seems they all come out like this here... I'm quite surprised they still sell enough for woolies to stock them.... maybe I'm missing something!
I assume nobody has a logical explanation for this then?

Yeah I was just wondering, I am glad I'm not crazy! Seems they all come out like this here... I'm quite surprised they still sell enough for woolies to stock them.... maybe I'm missing something!
I assume nobody has a logical explanation for this then?

I would assume this would have to deal with the different levels and types of capsaicin found in peppers. Its something like the difference in caffeine like coffee:yerba mate or omega fatty acid absorption between different types of nuts and grains, maybe even mention any other plant that grows short or tall but produces the same fruit or flower. The one time I experienced this was on a trip to mexico. I went to a taco bar that served an assortment of grilled jalapeños, some were red, some were green. Out of a group of 20 or so people 5 or six had peppers so hot they were barely edible, while the rest were average heat. Maybe its the selective breeding through hot jalapeños that developed this, Im not sure. I like em like that though. :dance: no pain no gain, hot jalapeños don't burn, they hurt. I feel ya

I have read that chillie's heat comes from a few different substances or chemicals. It's not just simply one chemical Capsiacin. Jalapenos are regularly picked upripe green. Perhaps the ripening process in terms of the heat occurs throughout the green phase before they turn red?

I assume harvesting a crop as soon as they get to full size will give you a different heat level to a crop left to ripen until they are about to turn red. Both look the same, but inside the heat compounds are different. Just a guess, would love to hear from someone who knows for certain.

It’s a real head scratcher the 1st time this happens, but I’m finding that it happens more often these days. Selective breeding for heat certainly sounds about right.

I have read that chillie's heat comes from a few different substances or chemicals. It's not just simply one chemical Capsiacin. Jalapenos are regularly picked upripe green. Perhaps the ripening process in terms of the heat occurs throughout the green phase before they turn red?

I assume harvesting a crop as soon as they get to full size will give you a different heat level to a crop left to ripen until they are about to turn red. Both look the same, but inside the heat compounds are different. Just a guess, would love to hear from someone who knows for certain.

Yup, yes indeed. the other chemiclas in these fire jalapenos must be the culprit:
Capsaicinoids.. not just capsaicin brings the fire.

I thought I was crazy the first time I noticed this, but I have also had batches of jalapenos that were strangely, strangely hot. At the time, I just thought that I must not have been eating as much heat lately and had lost some tolerance, but now I'm second-guessing that assumption. It's a strange thing.

I was at the grocery store yesterday and saw a jar of pickled jalapenos that were labeled as:

NO HEAT.

Huh?

That'd be like drinking a non-alcoholic beer, eating one potato chip, kissing your sister, stroking it once, and going to bed.

I made 24 stuffed jalapenos last week. They were all pretty mild except for one. It had my eyes watering and I coughed a bit. They were all bought at the same time, same store, prepared the same, with the same ingredients. I had no answer. It was just blessed with more burn!

Perhaps the ripening process in terms of the heat occurs throughout the green phase before they turn red?

the ripening process does just the opposite of making peppers hotter...it actually decreases the heat...the hottest a pepper gets is when they first start turning their ripe color...after that, some of the capsaicinoids are converted into sugar (or are used in the process), thus the heat decreases slightly..

I was at the grocery store yesterday and saw a jar of pickled jalapenos that were labeled as:

NO HEAT.

Huh?

That'd be like drinking a non-alcoholic beer, eating one potato chip, kissing your sister, stroking it once, and going to bed.

those may have been made from a Jalapeno TAM - a pepper developed by Texas A&M that has little or no heat...typical of an aggie to develop something like that...

to answer the original question...why do some jalapenos burn the sh** out of you, there are so many factors that come into play, the discussion could last until the end of time IMO...

I know exactly what you mean. I can usually eat jalapenos like olives or something but last year's crop was a whole different story. I didn't know what I was doing and hadn't really researched pepper growing. I was just messing around so I threw some seedlings into inadequate containers and hoped for the best. Here's a picture of the setup below. lol The conditions were pretty bad. No fertilizers and 4 times that summer they almost died because I forgot about watering them and they came back to life from severe wilt. Anyway, they were the hotted jalapenos I've ever eaten. Just severe severe pain and I couldn't really many from that batch of peppers. I ended up making a hot sauce with them that wasn't too bad though.

8HsDG.jpg

When i grew jalapenos I would stop watering them for about 2 weeks before harvest and it always made them hotter so what you had were stressed peppers!! Mine always developed crack lines that turned a tan color and some had a dark color almost black!! Man they were good and hot for salsa but the way they burned me just to eat raw was a terrible tongue burn!!

Back