smokers Finally, a Smoker I Can Call My Own

Boy, is there a long story to this. But here's the miracle at the end of of a nightmare day-

20200524_194227.jpg

She got yanked right at 203°, wrapped and set in a foil lined cooler for almost 2 hours, came back out almost as hot as she went in.

Beef M&M if there ever was! No, it may not look like you boys' restaraunt grade cooks, but this turned out great regardless, for my first packer...
20200524_194642.jpg

Thanks for the input, guys!

MikeUSMC said:
attachicon.gif
EECA69D1-FC45-4FB6-91C7-189EA0A3CB3F.jpeg

Looks FANTASTIC, Stettoman!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Don*tcha just love it when all of that hard work pays off?!
Thanks Mike, that means a lot after seeing the work you do. By the bye, that chunk of flat I had to separate from the point didn't fare as well, but it will make some good sammies when called upon...

And here's a kick in the ass: Nobody showed up but my son, who is part of the larger nightmare of yesterday. We're about to go and try to get his *gagh* Prius off the shoulder about 10 miles away.

In honor of the day, an arial photo from 1918:
202005250955-FavGreXWNM.jpeg

Ashen said:
Not sure what you are talking about, that looks really good to me. Bet it tasted awesome. :)
Boy howdy, it was stupendous! What I was talking about though was a 4-5 lb slab of flat that I removed for space, then cooked both together. That slab cooked differently and I should have known better. What you see above is the point/packer end. It came out really nice!

Well, to build on the success of that brisket, and due to an unbelievable little box of goodies received from Mike yesterday, I'm thinking of pork belly. Our side of Wagyu/Angus is supposed to be done "sometime this week", so making freezer space is in order. I guess the whole hog is waiting while beef gets cut. Brad told me that the marbling in the flat of the brisket will blow me away, cannut wate.

I have two of the pork bellies, both 12 pounds. I want to make a stab at some homemade bacon and I want to use some for fat content in my long overdue venison andouille, but I've seen a few cooks in these threads that look kick ASS.

So chime in at will, I'll be taking one of the slabs out this afternoon to thaw enough to cut for size (again, these are over 18" long)...

I*ve got no experience making bacon, Stetto, but I*ve made Malcom Reed*s pork belly burnt ends plenty of times. They*re definitely something you*d want to make for a crowd though (if you*re gonna do a whole slab).
I*ve been wanting to make these on kebabs too, probably with a chunk of (brown sugar coated) pineapple in there. Presoaking the pineapple in Fireball whiskey would really set it off too!

*Fireball Swineapple Kebabs*

:cheers:

MikeUSMC said:
I*ve got no experience making bacon, Stetto, but I*ve made Malcom Reed*s pork belly burnt ends plenty of times. They*re definitely something you*d want to make for a crowd though (if you*re gonna do a whole slab).
I*ve been wanting to make these on kebabs too, probably with a chunk of (brown sugar coated) pineapple in there. Presoaking the pineapple in Fireball whiskey would really set it off too!

*Fireball Swineapple Kebabs*

:cheers:

Oh, fookin' yum! On the list!!

Hey, your package got the Bride softened up--got any recommendations on a good meat thermo under a hunnert bucks?

I was looking at this, I seem to remember a thread this was mentioned in
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GE77QT0?linkCode=ogi&tag=ghk-lift-20&ascsubtag=[artid|10055.a.27483817[src|arb_ga_ghk_d_bm_a27483817[ch|f3b023bdbc398c76007ec31aeeacc226[lt|

The only experience I have with probes is the set I have, a Nutrichef one. Comes with 2 probes, but can accommodate 6 (you can order the extra 4 probes separately). I couldn’t be happier with mine:

Smart Bluetooth BBQ Grill Thermometer Upgraded Stainless Dual Probes Safe to Leave in Outdoor Barbecue Meat Smoker Wireless Remote Alert iOS Android Phone WiFi App NutriChef PWIRBBQ80 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076B36HF9/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_WW7ZEbACBHEM6

Looks like it’s cheaper now than when I got mine too! :party:

MikeUSMC said:
The only experience I have with probes is the set I have, a Nutrichef one. Comes with 2 probes, but can accommodate 6 (you can order the extra 4 probes separately). I couldn’t be happier with mine:

Smart Bluetooth BBQ Grill Thermometer Upgraded Stainless Dual Probes Safe to Leave in Outdoor Barbecue Meat Smoker Wireless Remote Alert iOS Android Phone WiFi App NutriChef PWIRBBQ80 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076B36HF9/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_WW7ZEbACBHEM6

Looks like it’s cheaper now than when I got mine too! :party:

Mmmm, good price. Mebbe I look for that grill pan Malcom's using for the burnt ends, too...Thanks again, Mike!

If you want a digital instant read for smaller cuts of meat , chick thighs , pork chops or whatever kind of cooking you are doing inside or out, lavatools makes a really good well priced one.

I did a side by side comparison with my thermapen when I bought mine and it was just as fast and accurate for less than half the price.

You can almost never have too many thermometers in my opinion.

Spending big money on meat, you want every piece to be as close to perfect as possible.

I have to two probes, two good instant reads, an IR gun stlye one as well, plus candy one. I still need a good leave in the oven one and want one for the fridge too.

I might be like Walchit but with thermos instead of Webers. :rofl:

It took quite a while but now my wife is always using the digital instant reads for cooking, after realizing how much they make a difference.

https://www.lavatools.co/products/javelin

Back