• We welcome content that is not political, divisive, or offensive. If we feel your content leans this way or has the potential to, it may be removed at any time. A hot pepper forum is not the place for such content. Thank you for respecting the community!

gas prices

Sickmont said:
They've got really crappy mass transit here, but there is a decent carpooling system available here. But as i only live 4 miles from my job and i enjoy occasionally getting off my ass and getting outside, i ride in.

As a plus, it's faster to bike to work than driving because of the traffic here.

lol you make me sound like a lazyass hehehe.I live a block from work but I drive across town to get my timmies(coffee) in the morning on my 15 min break I come home put my dog out and make a sandwich if my other half hasnt)Lunch time I come home eat surf and go back to work..I should dig my bike out and drink my coffee ahead of time..Damn you got me thinking now

I'll take Belize. Nothing like drinkin a couple Belikin's waiting for the hurricane to relocate ur ass. On Ambergris Caye they only drive golf carts f gas.

Sickmont said:
I suggest everyone pick up a bike and start bicycle commuting(if you're close enough) to work. I do it 3 or 4 times a week and it saves me a ton of money.

I'd like to do that but distances & equipment needed, would make it pretty difficult to get to work. but would be funny to see :lol:
I still have my hardtail diamondback w/ shimano XT brakes/shifters & manitou shocks

chilehunter said:
I'd like to do that but distances & equipment needed, would make it pretty difficult to get to work. but would be funny to see :lol:
I still have my hardtail diamondback w/ shimano XT brakes/shifters & manitou shocks

What equiptment do you need? I've got a small seat bag for the bike stuff(tire repair kit, extra tube, CO2 pump, etc.) and a nice backpack thats been perfectly sized to fit a 12 pack(bottles) and a fifth of whatever else.

And you can always add panniers if you need some decent cargo carrying capabilities.

Here you go...figure with something like this you could prabably tow a small purpose built trailer:

image002.jpg

from site http://e-bike.sk/solar.htm

$1.63 a Litre today i have a really old Diesel 4 x 4,, Diesel $1.88 Litre
i run a lawnmowing Company.. Mowers, blowers , edgers , whippers all use Petrol.. wish i could bump my prices up like they do with petrol

!!@$$^%#%^$ bunch of @#$^#$!$ and theres always an excuse for it to go up, Hey Now we up all shop prices too cause it costs more to deliver their stuff, whooop whoooop

theHippySeedCo said:
$1.63 a Litre today i have a really old Diesel 4 x 4,, Diesel $1.88 Litre
i run a lawnmowing Company.. Mowers, blowers , edgers , whippers all use Petrol.. wish i could bump my prices up like they do with petrol

!!@$$^%#%^$ bunch of @#$^#$!$ and theres always an excuse for it to go up, Hey Now we up all shop prices too cause it costs more to deliver their stuff, whooop whoooop

**rant warning**

it will go up because ppl are worried that it will go up...:lol: thats how the market works. :banghead:

of course we in Oz can provide 80% of our own fossil fuels...but we're still linked to the asian market for the price of it...WTF is that :lol: & thats not throwing in our coal, uranium or solar assets which could also cover our entire needs if we decided to quit apec (the c is for Cartel...its a friggin mafia).

Theres other stuff involved like our recent 20 cent/litre hike coinciding with a recent new govt decision...but this aint the place to discuss politics or i'll have to stick my mod hat on & slap ya...lol

ok, ok...i know.... off to the drinking thread

GO SOLAR!!!

:cheers:

BTW dunno what the deal is in other parts of the planet...but here in Oz, you can take a pedal bike on to most public transport...trains, buses, trams, etc. (but not during rush hour)...and if its 200 watts or less its still qualified as a pedal bike so you can use it on footpaths, pedestrian malls, public parks etc....and use to to & from mass transit options to get to where your going.

bentalphanerd said:
BTW dunno what the deal is in other parts of the planet...but here in Oz, you can take a pedal bike on to most public transport...trains, buses, trams, etc. (but not during rush hour)...and if its 200 watts or less its still qualified as a pedal bike so you can use it on footpaths, pedestrian malls, public parks etc....and use to to & from mass transit options to get to where your going.

It's the same here in the U.S., at least in every city and state i've lived in so far.

That about sums it up Bent -- Its about 90$ to fill my truck and the pumps accept only 75$ then I have swipe my card again and finish pumping

yeah well thats another spike....fuel is damn heavy stuff...you look at race cars & they adjust all kinds of stuff with a load of fuel on....

...Dont fill it up...go for two half tanks, you'll get way better economy.

eyepee said:
I'll take Belize. Nothing like drinkin a couple Belikin's waiting for the hurricane to relocate ur ass. On Ambergris Caye they only drive golf carts f gas.

You like Belikin? I don't like to hate but I found that beer near undrinkable. Never will I stray from my Gallo!

bentalphanerd said:
yeah well thats another spike....fuel is damn heavy stuff...you look at race cars & they adjust all kinds of stuff with a load of fuel on....

...Dont fill it up...go for two half tanks, you'll get way better economy.

There is a grey line there between completely filling up and filling up half a tank. In half a tank there is more room for the gasoline to become gaseous. That decreases the efficiency of the car since more of your precious gasoline goes up in fumes. Would these two effects (weight vrs. evaporation) cancel each other out?

andres said:
There is a grey line there between completely filling up and filling up half a tank. In half a tank there is more room for the gasoline to become gaseous. That decreases the efficiency of the car since more of your precious gasoline goes up in fumes. Would these two effects (weight vrs. evaporation) cancel each other out?

Most cars built from the early 90's on use a sealed evaporative fuel vapor system. They reintroduce the vapor into the intake manifold to be mixed with the fuel/air mixture. In fact, if fuel vapor leaks out, it'll throw the check engine light on and your car will start to act up a bit on you.

Sickmont said:
What equiptment do you need? I've got a small seat bag for the bike stuff(tire repair kit, extra tube, CO2 pump, etc.) and a nice backpack thats been perfectly sized to fit a 12 pack(bottles) and a fifth of whatever else.

And you can always add panniers if you need some decent cargo carrying capabilities.

I know I wasnt clear when I said "equipment" but I meant equipment for work ladders,planks,compressors,hoses,cords,& many other tools needed. so ya see it'd be damn near impossible to ride bike to work when its in the 100+ miles a day.
but if I could I'd have the biggest fricking legs :lol:
I have everything needed for mtn biking, dont wanna be 20 miles away from your truck with no means to get back ;) too bad I gave up on biking, it was a blast.

bentalphanerd said:

yep that sums it up!

LUCKYDOG said:
That about sums it up Bent -- Its about 90$ to fill my truck and the pumps accept only 75$ then I have swipe my card again and finish pumping

yea dont it suck that $100 cant even fill your truck up (I got a 30 gallon tank) $75 is debit limit here but you press credit it'll go to $100 (even while using the same card)

a couple months ago someone got busted with a very elaborated, & I mean a very elaborated setup to steal gas straight from the gas stations, the cops wouldnt even mention how the setup was made or any details LOL just that the guy would just drive his truck over the lids for the huge gas tanks & park right on top of'em, then just open them up through a access door in the cab floor & just fill up the truck bed full of gas :lol:
suppossedly those lids are not really locked, well I guess until now they'll be changing this feature to prevent people from stealing gas striaght from their own tanks LOL

Nice thing here is that public transportation is still dirt cheap. Costs less than 20 cents to go up to 4km. A more private local "taxi" still only averages around 60 cents to $1. Being a former cab driver myself, I actually have started voluntarily overpaying some drivers because their latest fare increase hasn't been big enough and they are still really hurting.

1 gallon = 3.785 liters
liter price X 3.785 = gallon price
gallon price divided by 3.785 = liter price

today filled up for $2.63 per gallon, heard of some places being $2.58 on the news.
much better price vs months ago that were $3.98 begining of summmer.

Back