• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Gluten Free cooking with fire

Ok, Since I discovered I have Celiacs, I have been challenged with recreating some of our favorite recipes without wheat flour (which is in almost everything tasty to eat). Panko is one of my favorite breading for ......well, almost everything. I found that Rice chex can be crushed to create a Panko like gluten free alternative... Tonight, I made baked wings. Out of a basic recipe, I made Sauced wings with a typical wing sauce of hot sauce and butter and Parmesan wings.
Heat your oven to 425
foil line and spray shallow pans with non stick spray
Coat your cut wings with a mix of gluten free bisquick (or whatever gluten free flour you have on hand), garlic, pepper, and hot pepper powder of your choice ( I used Bhut)
Dip in egg wash (mix of egg, and water or milk {I used milk. for the Parm wings I added equal parts Paul Neaman's Italian dressing to the egg wash})
Coat the wings in crushed Chex. I added shredded Parm and Italian seasoning to Chex for the Parm wings.
Bake for 45 min.

Below are the pics. These where AWES"OME.....Please share your Gluten free recipes here!!!!!!!!

007_zps7463a7c9.jpg

003_zps34de73de.jpg

013_zpsb3fa73d3.jpg

what a great breakfast! where is all the "fire" at though?? i know my plate had sirachi all over it. where yours? if tb ever gets a whiff of this we going to be in all kinds of trouble ;)

There is bhut powder in everything since that is all we have left...............hurry up and grow some peppers for me!!!!

Empanadads, tacos.....I found a great use for cheap meat

I pick up deeply discounted quality beef cuts that have a day or two to use. I brown them, add some water, generous amount of chili powder, garlic, onion, and pepper. I simmer for several hours until the meat falls apart, and then I shred it. Then, I add some chunky hot salsa.

0012_zpsa4307ab0.jpg

Taco. Old El Paso hard shells are gluten free
003_zpsac9d823c.jpg

Empenadads. Made then two ways.

Tradition flour recipe with GF flour
Corn Masa Flour

I used the pulled beef, cream cheese, and cheddar to stuff them (Crumbly, white mexican cheeses work well too.). Fried them.

The Masaca tortillas had a great flavor and texture (round ones). Standard corn tortilla recipe works here. Masaca, water, salt, and a tortilla press

The Traditional version came out a little heavy, but the flavor was good (they are the crescent shape)
I was unable to roll the dough due to the unmoveable consistency. I ended up breaking up the dough into balls and using the tortilla press for these, also. I need to play with the recipe a bit.

009_zps440b2930.jpg

010_zps63e6523d.jpg

017_zps025470a2.jpg

Thanks!

I hope eventually there are more recipe submissions by others. I am wanting to learn something :neutral:
I am having trouble finding xanthan gum locally. I think that would have made the difference with the "flour" empenadas.
When I get it, I'll be making Booma's GF pizza dough. I guess if I had ordered it online, I would have it already.

When people think Gluten free, I don't think a lot of people realize just how naughty gluten free eating can be.

where is all the "fire"
if tb ever gets a whiff of this we going to be in all kinds of trouble ;)

I am not worried about TB ever looking at this thread! lol :dance:

I'm totally digging your creative breading ideas!!!! Toasted, ground quinoa! Awesome!!!!

Oh...and that gravy. That sweet, sweet gravy......Manna from Heaven!!!!!!!!!! :D

Ah, GF cooking- now we're talking about something I know a thing or two about. I'm not gluten sensitive, but my wife is, which pretty much means I eat and cook GF. Let's start with the single most important thing:

Don't drink Redbridge. It's bad, and Anheuser-Busch should feel bad for making it. New Grist out of Wisconsin is pretty good, New Planet out of Colorado is excellent (but limited distribution). Bard's Tale is widely available, and it's really solid. There are other GF beers out there, some are better than others, but... yeah, drink Bard's.

I'll add more when I have pictures.

Had some (cheap) GF pasta that isn't great stand alone, so I thought about the suggestion for Zuchini lasagna. I thought I could use this not so great rice pasta as base for a lasagna like casserole.

Sprayed a pan with non stick spray. Layered cooked pasta, yellow squash, zuchini, grated carrot....

then cooked hamburger seasoned with bhut, a layer of spinach, then a cheese mix (cottage cheese, italian blend of Mozz, asiago, parm, romano, and two beaten eggs. Seasoned with fresh chopped basil, other italian seasonings, and fresh minced garlic).....

topped this off with more meat, sliced tomatoes, and italian cheese blend....

005_zpsfa555f89.jpg

baked for 45 minutes in a 375 oven.

I added some scallions on mine after cooking....Mr Sic is a NOOOO onion kinda guy

035_zps0a32b367.jpg

Thanks for joining in on this thread, Ivan! Nope, haven't tried it, yet...Thanks for the input on the beer........

I like a Ginger Hard Apple Cider by Angry Orchard. It is yummy......thank you, HTH!

Back