• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Growing Jolokias and Habaneros in the Philippines

hey nat! Okay. The coco coir and carbonated rice husk stuff? in my experience Ramgo's only good for germination then u gotta transplant them after coz it's only got osmocote for nutes.

Will try that for germination. I've been getting good germination so far with the other stuff. Thanks for the tips siling labuyo.

Dont really have a semi shaded area though that's why i opted for lights. Kind of a hassle to chase around the sun in the proper intensity.

Also i got a ton of other stuff growing on my windowsill that's another reason why i use floros for lighting.

Nice to see another philippine resident here.

I might be getting the true siling labuyo strain from another local. I'll for sure grow a ton of that.

I used distilled right form the grocery. Pretty inexpensive here in the states. It worked well for me...
P.S. Sounds like you're on a roll. Good luck.

^ actually i use ramgo until i finally place them in their final containers. works well for me and easier to handle when thinning out seedlings.

i envy you, you have time to tend to your plants all day. me, i only got the weekends.

Hey Franz, you got a bhut jolokia from Thailand???? How and where? If you can say.
Never heard of any here.

i'll only have time for them for around the next 3 months or so and then i'll be pretty damn busy with OJT. and culinary ojt's are hell. 9 to 12 hour shifts. sometimes you can't eat coz there's a lot of heavy orders.

really? you managed to do that with ramgo? my seedings die quite easily with that stuff, dampening off and lack of nutrients.

ajarnv, got them off a guy that sells seeds on ebay. username bonsaiflowers. ain't even sure if they're authentic. i can just send you a few seeds from that guy if you want. i got "long red savina" and "bhut/naga jolokia" seeds from him. pm me your details. i'll send you a good number of seeds. was cheap. i'll give 'em away. unless you want to trade. pm me what you got if you have any.

i'll only have time for them for around the next 3 months or so and then i'll be pretty damn busy with OJT. and culinary ojt's are hell. 9 to 12 hour shifts. sometimes you can't eat coz there's a lot of heavy orders.

really? you managed to do that with ramgo? my seedings die quite easily with that stuff, dampening off and lack of nutrients.
ajarnv, got them off a guy that sells seeds on ebay. username bonsaiflowers. ain't even sure if they're authentic. i can just send you a few seeds from that guy if you want. i got "long red savina" and "bhut/naga jolokia" seeds from him. pm me your details. i'll send you a good number of seeds. was cheap. i'll give 'em away. unless you want to trade. pm me what you got if you have any.

Thanks for the offer Franz, but I'm up to my fanny in seeds and plants right now. About the ebay seller; he may not have gotten them here. My surprise is simply that I know of no-one here who has been successful in growing chinense in an ongoing basis. I've seen guys on forums who claim to have grown but on questioning they have all had problems and were never able to pull it off.
With my own efforts I can see why; but I believe it is possible and that's what I'm working towards. Thanks for the reply, cheers.

With my own efforts I can see why; but I believe it is possible and that's what I'm working towards. Thanks for the reply, cheers.

i believe that i can too!

i refuse to let everyone else have successful plants and we don't get to. hehe.

i plan on building some sort of shade netting to help with the heat. as both our countries have similar weather patterns and climates.... we should probably make the most out of it by sharing information. :cool:

i'm up to my eyes in chili seeds myself. and i can't seem to stop myself from getting more. lol. :rofl:

^ actually i use ramgo until i finally place them in their final containers. works well for me and easier to handle when thinning out seedlings.

i envy you, you have time to tend to your plants all day. me, i only got the weekends.

just because you said you grow your peppers in them, i ended up buying some more and a block of coco coir. :lol:

sheesh i just repacked some powders for my sister so she can have a taste of this chili stuff too.

i just scratched my upper lip and now it's burning. :mouthonfire:

hey Verne and Franz,

Chinenses CAN grow in Asia. There's a person named sam_marine (i believe he's a user here, but with 0 posts) who lives in Malaysia and he's been successfully growing chinenses for a long time now.

if he can, we can too!

s. labuyo, dude they say it's HOTTER than a bhut jolokia.

scary stuff. tried the powdered forms of the naga morich and 7pot. they are quite close to each other, the 7pot's heat lingers longer and seems to never end.

hey Verne and Franz,

Chinenses CAN grow in Asia. There's a person named sam_marine (i believe he's a user here, but with 0 posts) who lives in Malaysia and he's been successfully growing chinenses for a long time now.

if he can, we can too!

good to hear that it's possible. i shall be doing the same.

i also found a site that some dude in thailand has been growing red savina habaneros there. farming it apparently.

guys, please be patient with me as i only have seedlings and if you've noticed that i am quite enthusiastic with this.

simple stuff and all that.

here's some tricotyledon action on a bhut jolokia assam strain sent over to me by jungle rain

2697ecac.jpg

different angle

dd846bf4.jpg

also got a couple tomato seedlings popping up from novacastrian too.

yay!

Guys! Good news! Found someone who has a true siling labuyo plant growing.

The hunt is over! Just gotta grow it right.

I'll grow this baby well.

Now for the hunt for the siling haba/sigang pepper.

Will give away seeds if there's enough to give away

quick post.

it turns out we have a couple of supposedly "true" siling labuyo plants growing.

here's the story, the help told me that these plants just sprouted out of nowhere and have been growing for years since. the help mentioned that it must have been from bird's droppings as they didn't plant them. i've been trying to give it some TLC since it looks like it has been neglected. they're in individual pots currently sharing room with a couple random plants the maid just stuck in the pot with it.

here are a few pictures of the plants:

6838cfac.jpg

b24047b5.jpg

currently there is no fruit. however one has one flower and a bud forming close to it. i have taken a picture of the flower.

here it is:

287afa9e.jpg

Silver_Surfer has mentioned that chinenses have two or more flowers per node. and that it's flowers are white with purple thingamabobs on 'em (forgot what they were called, i haven't had breakfast, sue me. lol)

this plant has green flowers with a purplish thingamabob.

might possibly the real thing?

wish there were fruit on it to find out. we shall see, i'll be taking real good care of these plants personally now. then it sets fruit i will giving away seeds and see if you guys can grow them out and if they're the real thing.

i will also keep a few seeds for myself to grow my own as these are the helps' plants.

SURE HOPE THEY'RE THE REAL THING! =D

the help also told me that those peppers that have been growing in the garden are indeed hotter than the grocery variety. they are also smaller in size and shape than the ones we get to buy. so these might just be the good stuff!

i'll still wait for my classmates to gimme pods and grow a few of those out to see.

good luck to me. i will be giving some away if i have any surplus seed.

if ever the labuyo dies out in my country by sharing these seeds, i will now at least rest easy that someone somewhere is growing them. living on by that thought alone will make me happy.

=D

this is the real thing, taken from a site:

pasitis.JPG

also known as pasitis in tagalog (a dialect in my country)

they are smaller and shorter than the hybrids usually found in grocery stores.

pepper pods grow slightly downwards or to the side and not upwards like regular bird's eye chilis. also has slightly rounder tip.

here is a quote from the site the picture was taken from:

The chilis at the left are the basic siling labuyo also known as siling bilog. They come in varying stages of ripeness from green to red and sometimes white or yellow. Their heat quotient varies from time to time and from area to area. This definitely is hotter than the Taiwan chili. The green ones are often too painful although said pain is ironically said to be addictive, thus the need to add more and more chili once you get the bug.

For many years, people assumed that siling labuyo was of the Capsicum frustescens species or a relative of the famous Tabasco chili. However, recently, other experts seem to agree it is a member of the hotter variety of Capsicum annuum species, probably of the grossum variety.

The Bicolano lada or pasitis looks almost like the siling labuyo although with a slight difference. It is smaller in size, has smaller leaves and has tougher skin. Its fruit does not turn yellow but brown prior to getting fully ripe and becoming bright red. But one thing is certain: perhaps owing to the quality of soil in the region, the Bicolano lada or pasitis is definitely much hotter than the basic siling labuyo.

i will be now hunting for the white labuyo. they are rarer than the regular stuff. this was also mentioned to me by a fellow member here siling_labuyo.

Back